“Does no deserve to be part of Ritz Carlton San Juan”
Review of BLT Steak

BLT Steak
Ranked #6 of 190 Restaurants in Carolina
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Avenida Isla Verde
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have never before rated a Restaurant here on Trip Advisor, but after eating at the BLT San Juan I am still so angry I have to share my experience so people and foremost tourists (I am local) avoid eating there. We reserved for our Anniversary, planning a nice dinner and haveing a great experience. Already knowing Morton's Steakhouse at the Caribe Hilton we wanted to try something new. First of all, I do not know how such employees and such a terrible Restaurant Experience can be offered at a Ritz Carlton Hotel. It started that the server (Eli was his name) literally threw the menus at our table as if we would have been served in a Diner at Route 66. For long time no one even cared that we were sitting there waiting to be attended. The wine knowledge or information about the food given from part of the servers was very poor as well. We ordered steak with some complements, none of the steaks arrived the way we ordered it. I EXPECT FROM A STEAKHOUSE WERE YOU HAVE TO PAY AROUND $ 50.00 FOR A STEAK THAT AT LEAST IT COMES OUT MEDIUM WELL IF I ORDER IT MEDIUM WELL. I had to drown my steak in sauce in order to no choke myself to death! We mentioned the inconvenience to the waiter, he only answered I will give you Dessert. I do not want desert I came here for steak! We did not order dessert, instead he brought as some cookies to make up for the error we received, but still. NExt thing happend, we did not order the check but the waiter, again, threw the check at our table, with the comment: "Since you do not want to order anything else here is your check. At that time we still had two full glasses of wine in front of us we wanted to enjoy. IN addition the waiter talked to us in the worst Puerto Rican Street Jargon, which again was really unpleasant. Furthermore we had the "luck"to see the cooks in the kitchen doing shots, so it did not surprise me that our meat did come out the wrong way. The manager( Victor) was doing nothing but flirting with the hostess and making jokes with all the staff instead of attending the guests and manage the operation. Even though there still were about 20 guests in the restaurant, all paying a ...Load of Money, they shut down the music, even the lights and were hanging around all by the open kitchen window partying and not attending there guests at all. As we paid I told the hostess that we had a horrible experience and that I wanted to know the managers name, the only thing she did was laugh out loud in my face, not paying any attention to my complaint. My girlfriend ended up crying since it was a really special day for us planned a long time in advance. I used to be a restaurant and bar manager for Renaissance and this was one of the poorest service performances I have ever experienced. I recommend that Mariott and Ritz Carlton check out what is happening at their facilities and change the attitude of the staff. It is a shame for Ritz Carlton and Mariott to have such people representing their enterprise in Puerto RIco this way! Be aware, go to Mortons or Ruth Chris instead of the BLT in the Ritz Carlton San Juan!!!
Best regards,

Daniel

3  Thank Dannynrd

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went for dinner with my wife and decided to eat at the bar.
We sat to the right hand side and felt a cold breeze coming from the door so we moved to the left of the TV.
We ordered a nice bottle of Girard Cabernet Napa which the served in huge crystal glasses.
I ordered the Braised Short Ribs and a side of Au Gratin Potatoes. My wife the Warm Potato Salad with Quails Eggs.
One of the highlights of this chain is the bread which being British can quantify this as giant Yorkshire puddings with a cheese crust. They were delicious but we had to use constraint as not to over fill ourselves.
The Short Rib was served in a Staub crock pot. This was a nice touch but the Rib was tough and could have used at least another hour in the oven. the gratin potatoes were raw in the middle. my wife did enjoy the salad. There were a couple of guys beside us sharing the Porterhouse and they raved about it.
Did we complain? No we didn't. Why? Because we finished the bread and wine and were enjoying ourselves.
We would return and have the steak next time....

1  Thank true2life
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I had the most amazing experience to finish my trip in Puerto Rico. The VIP treatment began from start to finish of our meal. They brought a delicious fois gras spread with crostini right when we sat down. I didn't even let my husband have any.
I ordered the lobster salad and and the taste was delectable. After they brought the gruyere popovers and I couldn't put it down . I ate the whole thing.
I ordered the a palate pleasing snapper that had the most delightful flavors combined. The grapefruit segments and the pink peppercorns create such a flavor!!
I was so pleasantly surprised. I go to steakhouses all the time but this one for me was a real treat. I finished off with a brownie & meringue dessert that just made me feel like I was on another planet.
Go there!! Make sure you do. It was romantic, delicious and I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank elizabeth b
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

BLT is the best place for steak in PR, it is expensive but the food is well prepared and fresh especially the fish of the day. Service is nice but sometimes it can be sloppy, such as forgeting a dish or not serving your wine. The wine list is very good.

1  Thank pjbaez
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I started with one of the most decadent pork belly imaginable, my husband's caesar, while nice, lacked flavor in the dressing. Moving on to our entree's, a hanger steak and Osso bucco, both cooked to perfection!The potato skins with truffle oil were a nice touch, but most outstanding was the bread or popovers that they serve. I could have made a dinner from them alone. Service was attentive and friendly, but the useage of "my pleasure" was overkill. It was our anniversary and I did mention this when making the reservation~ it was not acknowledged ~ An enjoyable evening,regardless

1  Thank Radcliffer