“For the price not bad but don't expect 4-star resort service”

Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Humacao
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place is gorgeous. We've stayed here a few days to a week for the past 3 years. We paid $136 per night so that's not really 4/5 star price which is why I rate them 2 stars instead of 1. Our room was nice enough and very clean with plenty of room. We've stayed at a LOT of resorts and the facilities here are very nice with a great golf course and swimming pools and just a very nice tropical environment. But the service is definitely NOT up to par. If you need something expect to have to interrupt a conversation between the staff. And when you say "thanks" or "have a good day" to somebody don't expect to hear anything nice back. It seems to me they need at least to do some more training or try to select people that are more customer service oriented. Nobody was outwardly discourteous to us but we both felt like there was little concern for us and there were a few problems with the facilities. I noticed one other reviewer mentioned hot water problems. We had to wait a LONG time then had to deal with rapid switched back and forth between hot and cold. Also they now charge $13/day for park yourself parking a short walk away. If you park out front too long expect the security to be very close to discourteous. Also when you try to self park the attendant isn't always there and the gate is down. I figured out I could just get a ticket out of the machine and then throw it away but that wasn't because anybody notified me of that. Lastly, the business center is using a new kind of "green" fax machine that couldn't send a fax for me after 3 attempts over 3 hours. I finally got another nearby business to do it for me. The restaurants are mediocre on-site and there were a few staff members we met that were pretty good such as the bartender at the restaurant. But these were few and not a majority. The rest seem more like the night shift at a motel 6 than an upscale resort staff. One other thing was the wifi internet. It's very mediocre in the rooms. Good enough for email but very slow for anything else. In the restaurant it was very good so I'm pretty sure this is due to their wifi routers and system rather than the internet feed into property.

So I hate to say this but we won't be back for a long while. Maybe if you have a tight budget or a large family that could be very expensive this is a worthwhile place. This was a tough review to do since there are so many things that are very nice or even great about the facility but it's just hard to overcome below average staff. In my opinion the staff quality has declined with Wyndham at the helm compared to the previous Four Points by Sheraton. Too bad because this place has the natural beauty to be a first class 5 star resort.

I hope this helps.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Flavia B, Manager at Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Mr. Sailright,

Our highest mission is to deliver a great experience, every time for all our guests and over the time has proven to be a consistent attribute to our hotel, which is mainly why your review is extremely concerning. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for this review, as guest comments are the most valuable advice we can receive.

The lack of responsiveness from our staff is unacceptable and will be investigated further. We apologize for any inconveniences this has caused you, but please note that this is not the norm for our hotel.

I remain at your service,

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Beautiful grounds, beach, pool, and room. Internet handy for printing / looking up information. Staff could have been more knowledgeable and helpful about things to do/see nearby, instead they simply handed us a booklet. An hour's drive from the international airport though - so keep that in mind when booking your flight.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mandee P,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our beautiful grounds, beach, pool and our clean rooms. I have already shared your comments regarding the opportunities with the lack of knowledge from our Front Desk Staff to take immediate action and prevent this from happening again.

I remain at your service,

A Wyndham traveler
N Massapequa

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A Wyndham traveler
Flavia B, Manager at Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This wasn't my first stay in this hotel but this time we get very disappointed. First of all when I made my phone reservation with Glorimar there where two options available and she convinced me to take the more expensive one, the one bedroom suite, telling me it was the best kind of room they have and that they are located in the "best" areas of the hotel and with "best views". I decided to pay the difference for that "update". When we arrived for check-in at 3pm, as I was informed and also is the time they have in their web site, the room wasn't ready. They told us to go to the pool and that they will give us a call. Since we didn't receive that call we went again to front desk at 4pm and it wasn't ready yet. They told us that the check in is at "anytime after 3pm" then I told them that if we can make our check out anytime after 11am and they told us that only when it is available the give an extra hour but that weekend was not possible because they were completely booked. We continued waiting and checking our room status every half hour (because they never called us) and finally me made our check in at 5:35pm!! What was our surprise when we saw our "suite" #203. It did't have any balcony at all! It is very dark and its only illumination was the night stand lamps and a floor lamp. Very depressing and claustrophobic! It has a sealed glass "window" to the hall which we had to maintain covered with curtains because you have no privacy if you open them. It was like staying in a fish tank. We never had hot water. We informed it but the engineer never came. Also we can't never use the room internet. I tried to change our room but it wasn't possible. Efrain Rodrigez was very nice and tried to help but nothing can be done. We tried to talk with the hotel manager but she never attended us, she only sent messages with the employees. Our major complain was that we had other expectations because that was what they offered us.Also we think that they have to inform the guests that the room doesn't have balcony and that it has a "hall view" to see if you agree with that and not try to fool you. Even it should cost cheaper for that reason.

Room Tip: The room location is very important. Ask for ocean or pool view. The better ones are those located a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Flavia B, Manager at Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear Gina Dr.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is really sad to see that your stay with us did not meet the expectations during this specific time and we apologize for not meeting your expectations especially with the timeliness of check in and the maintenance issues you pointed out. Please allow me to share that the main reason for the room not to be ready at check in time has been addressed already. Should you consider staying with us again, please reach out to me personally and I will assure, that you will receive the level of service you have every right to expect.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice hotel. Given that the property is at the beach is was good choice that the room didn't have carpets. The room was comfortable and at a nice location. The water heater did not regulate the water temperature properly.

Overall very good choice.

Room Tip: Suites have the best locations and price doesn't change much.

Dear Wanda,

Many thanks for your review and for choosing the Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar. We appreciate your feedback and I will share your comments regarding the room maintenance opportunity with our Engineering Department so we can evaluate and make any necessary changes in order to enhance our guests’ experience. I am delighted to see that our location is nice and that we have comfortable rooms. We’d love the opportunity to have you back with us.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Humacao
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar? Share your experiences!