New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Interesting, educational and exploratory kayak tour: lots of fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Travelers Kayak Tour to Monkey Island

Barefoot Travelers Kayak Tour to Monkey Island
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Humacao
More attraction details
Owner description: Reservation in advance required for our Kayak Tour to Monkey Island. Please email for more details. Or call us in the office~ Thank you!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Nashua, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Interesting, educational and exploratory kayak tour: lots of fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We (my husband and I) found out that Keishya and Bob from Barefoot Travelers Co. organize kayaking tours to the Monkey Island. We called Keishya and arranged our trip. At 9 a.m. on Dec 24 we met Bob on the beach. He told us how the monkeys appeared on the island and about some research experiments the scientists from all over the world conduct there. When two other people came (only 4 peple can go on the tour simultaneousely) we started paddeling to the island. The weather was perfect: clear blue sky, no wind, the water was transparent and we could see the bootom of the sea with red and orange star fish, huge fish, algae, etc. When we approached the island we were able to observe the monkeys in their natural habitat. We also snorkeled near the sunken barge and saw lots of different kinds of fish, star fish, sea urchins, etc. Then we kayaked around the island watching iguanas and monkeys as well as enjoying the view and taking the pictures. During the trip Bob told us lots of very interesting things not only about monkeys, but about hiking, climbing, caving, kayaking and other activities in different parts of Puerto Rico. We enjoyed every minute of our trip and even could not tell which part of the trip we enjoyed most - kayaking, snorkeling, watching, observing or listening to our guide. We recommend this trip to all nature and adventure lovers. Come, enjoy and have fun!
Kate and Sergey.

Visited December 2010
4 Thank evorotnikova

Houston, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“A really good family outdoor outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Keisha provided me with detailed information over email which helped me decide on this trip. We are not experienced kayakers. We have done it a few times previously. My 13 year old wanted to kayak, my 10 year old wanted to see the monkeys. We had planned on a Monday 3:30pm trip. That Monday (August 2010), Keisha emailed me and called me while I was in San Juan to let me know the weather was bad - thunderstorms, lighting and strong currents. Even though I had made reservations, she offered to release me from the obligation.

I opted to reschedule. We met on Friday. They (Bob and Keisha) both met us on the beach. She provided us a good recommendation for lunch (El Makitos). It is an easy drive from San Juan and Keisha gave me very good directions. It takes about an hour and 30 minutes depending on traffic and believe me, it seems there is ALWAYS traffic leaving the city no matter what time it is!

When we met Bob, he mentioned his concern about the thunder and said he wanted to wait to see what the weather would do. I appreciate his concern. I was concerned about the currents. Remember, we don't kayak much although we are all athletic (I do triathlons).

They assured me it would be fine. And it was. I used a double kayak with my ten year old, and that was hard work. It took about 30 minutes for me to get to the island. My 13 year old shot ahead in about 15-20 minutes.

Monkey Island is a research/reserve and Keisha will tell you more about it. We met a local who said it's a place where monkeys are shipped off fore research but this isn't the case, so be careful where you get the info from. no one is allowed on the island. We're familiar with monkeys and I assure you, that is a VERY GOOD precaution.

Don't get too close to them. The water is quite shallow and you can get quite close. We had Bob guide us and he's a very relaxed laid back person, but clearly skilled. So just trust what he says and follow his directions.

The monkeys were active and curious when we showed up and they sat on the beach watching us, and we stayed a nice safe distance. Monkeys can and do swim! We had monkeys in our house in Asia and they used our swimming pool until they got fed up of the human intruders. So again, keep a safe distance!

Bob manged our kayaks very patiently while we played in the water. There is a sunken barge off the island, close to where the beach is by the monkeys. The water is amazing. Very clear and there are lots of fish. They seem used to people and tolerated us very well. It was a lot of fun. It's not too deep, you can stand in some places ie about 5 foot deep.

Bob & Keisha have snorkel gear which they offer to guests but they also said it wasn't the best fit especially for kids. So we just wore our swim goggles and that worked fine. We just dove down to play with the fish and came back up.

I asked Keisha how long the trip would be and she said it was up to us. So we just hung out until we had enough. We got back on the kayaks, and paddled around the island, saw at least 6 large iguanas in the trees and on the rocks, and more monkeys.

Overall, the experience was great. I was concerned about the blazing sun. It was just beating down on us at 3:30pm. I would recommend hats and sun block. Once you're in the kayak and on the water, the breeze (if there is any) helps, and by then, for us, there was cloud cover. in fact, after we got back on the kayaks, I felt quite cold and would have appreciated a bit of sun.

They also provided lifejackets which you can take off when you're snorkeling/swimming. I had also been concerned that the kayaking would be a little too much given my lack of experience. It really wasn't that difficult. It wasn't always easy, sometimes I had to put in more effort, but it was manageable.

It was a great outdoor experience. Just ask Bob and Keisha what they think. There is another option that my friends took on a covered boat. I'm really glad I did the kayak tour though. It was a nice workout (mild to moderate), and my arms didn't ache after that.

It looks like a great open water swim if you would rather swim to the island and around while someone else kayaks. I had just finished a swim competition so staying above water was nice.

I would recommend this trip. We paid $40 per person. Tips - if you have kids, bring your own snorkel gear. You definitely want sunblock and rash guard/sunshirts. Water shoes. Sunglasses, hats. They will provide water. And there is a nice little minimart thatyou can get cold sodas from or snacks at the end.

We had a great experience. The max is 6 people which is really nice especially if you want to go at your own pace. Bob and Keisha run a guesthouse and also offer paragliding and hang gliding tours. Next time!

6 Thank drironwoman
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Keisha y Bob es muy divertido con hospitalidad grande”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We wanted to sea kayak some off-shore islands and read online about Barefoot Kayak Adventures Kayak Trip to Monkey Island off Punta Santiago. We read some good reports about them so we called Keisha and she was so energetic and had openings on the day we'd be there. Just our kind of spirit so we reserved a couple kayaks with them for the trip. Even though they had a guesthouse, we decided to stay at the Casa Cubuy Eco lodge which was nice but found out they didn't lead trips like Keisha did.

Once we were in Puerto Rico, we called them and planned to meet them at the Punta Santiago dock. We drove around the small town and couldn't see it so we asked at a local restaurant & they didn't know. As we left we saw a car with 2 kayaks on it so we followed them. They finally turned around & we said HEY! LOL. We drove to the shore and saw it was very choppy and overcast. Keisha said it would be nicer tomorrow and asked if we'd like to do it the next am & we said “Sure” She then asked us what we were doing for New Years Eve and we said there wasn't much going on at Casa Cubuy so she invited us to spend New Years Evening with her, Bobby and visiting friends! WOW Another very warm gesture from other adventurers! She told us about a local nature hiking preserve so we explored there seeing several large colorful iguanas “detailed” with pale orange sides and contrasting black stripes down the sides lounging in the green trees.

We got some food from a local store and headed back to her place for a fabulous dinner and more fabulous company of sharing intoxicating tropical paddling adventure stories. We bid them goodnight and now we knew where to meet to kayak the next morning. It was a GORGEous morning so Bobby led us. We bobbed up and down in our Sit-on-top kayaks for about an hour heading to the island. Good thing we'd kayaked some before on the Ohio River so we were used to some smaller waves & in pretty good shape. When we got near the island you could hear wham......WHAM... What's that Bobby? It's the slamming of the metal doors to their feeding bins. Then we saw few of the 1000 monkeys on the island checking us out. The males do this to protect 1 of the 5 troops on the island. I wanted to try snorkeling there he said try it, but with the waves I could only see down about 5 ft and there were only grasses and sand, so after 15 minutes I had enough. Since it was so nice Bobby asked if we wanted to paddle around the island, even though the swells were 2-3 ft. We said SURE & we did. It was inCREDible to see the island, swaying palm trees, with El Yunque shrouded in clouds all bathed by the warm morning sunshine. We heard more monkeys playing in the trees and caught a quick glimpse of a couple more. Bobby said he had a hang gliding session to lead and wanted to know if we felt comfortable kayaking back on our own. Since we could see where they wanted us to land the kayaks by their house & the wind was blowing us there, we said SURE! He agreed that we were doing fine on our own, so he paddled back to the beach. We explored more of that calmer side of the island and after 30 minutes we headed back. It was great to just let the wind push us back and sigh at that beautiful paradise. We were indeed in heaven! With each other and there. We thought we found the spot to land, so I looked around on land and it was a little short, We saw Keisha walking her dogs and she said to paddle down a few hundred yards. With the waves coming in it was hard to get into the kayaks, but we did and landed by their street. After we helped Keisha load the boats on her car, we walked to her house & she let us shower the salt away. We thanked her and gave her another big warm hug and said Goodbye! We were sad but WOW was that another great adventure! Life isn't good. It's AWESOME!

4 Thank charliefunny
Kingsville, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great off-the-beaten-path tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

My husband and I missed the ferry to Culebra and needed to find a back-up adventure for the day. We called Bob and met him for our tour just a couple hours later. He provided a double kayak and snorkel gear, and he gave us a personal kayak tour of monkey island. Though tourists aren't allowed on the island, we saw plenty of monkeys and sea life while snorkeling. It was a great trip, and we're very glad we had the opportunity to do it!

3 Thank KatieKingsville_TX
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We were only on Puerto Rico for a few short days, one of which rained, but on the sunny day my husband and children went kayaking out to Monkey Island with Bob. All arranged on the morning of on the phone with Keishya but it was the perfect activity for the day. My boys are 14 and 12 years old and have kayaked before and had no problem completing the tour. My daughter aged 11 was in the double kayak with my husband. I relaxed on the beach. But my husband was so impressed with Bob's knowledge of the island and how patiently he answered all the questions. My children were able to snorkel off the island as well as see the monkeys. We only had two snorkels but Bob and Keishya were able to provide two more as well as water and energy bars. They really think of everything to make your trip to the island safe, comfortable and enjoyable. It was the highlight of our trip. Thank you very much for everything.

2 Thank JaMmerB