Barefoot Travelers Kayak Tour to Monkey Island
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Humacao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Reservation in advance required for our Kayak Tour to Monkey Island. Please email for more details. Or call us in the office~ Thank you!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Keishya gave us a wonderful kayak tour of monkey island. She was very nice, inviting, fun, and knowledgeable. We kayaked around the whole island, and stopped to snorkel at the end. She never rushed us or hurried us.

The monkeys were awesome! Saw a lot of monkeys playing, a couple of huge iguanas, and saw some really gorgeous fish while snorkeling.

These people love what they do, and it's very apparent. Take a tour with these guys!!!

2  Thank Ben_Aring

Reviewed September 23, 2013

First and foremost-these reviews aren't exaggerating when they state how great this experience is. Bob and Keishya are so genuine and truly love what they do, allowing you to simply appreciate everything that this excursion has to offer. I must add, how simple and easy (as a first time kayaker) this was for my love and I. Snorkeling was fun and easy (they provide dry bags and gear) and Kieshya was very accurate with her directions to the location. For the price of the excursion I couldn't be more satisfied.

4  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Even though the snorkeling didn't work out due to the previous thunderstorms, the kayaking and monkey viewing was great! Bob was very informative and helpful!

2  Thank diser55
Reviewed September 3, 2013

So not only was this trip extremely easy to book, but Keishya is literally awesome. She was very communicative, and really ensured that we were setup to have an amazing experience with her at Cayo Santiago (via email and phone - talk about amazing customer service). The directions she provided us with were flawless (since most of Puerto Rico doesn't utilize clearly displayed street signs or route #s), and Bob was waiting for us at Punta Santiago when we drove up for our 9:30am trip. The tour group itself was very intimate, there were a total of 3 of us (but we were informed that there isn't more than 6 per trip)... and we had the pleasure of having both Keishya and Bob as our guides.

They were awesome enough to provide us with water-walking shoes and snorkel gear since we hadn't brought any ourselves absolutely free of charge. The kayak seats were beyond comfy, and they provided us with a multitude of dry bags for phones and cameras. I was especially pleased with this since I brought my Canon 5D Mark III on the trip with us. Being from Puerto Rico I'm familiar with the history of the island - but Keishya's explanation was spot on. We'd all kayaked before but Bob provided a few refreshers, tips, and recommendations for kayaking in Punta Santiago and around Cayo Santiago. Bob pulled our kayak out on the water and made sure that we were all set to get in. And just like that we were off kayaking towards Cayo Santiago. Keishya was able to snap a few shots of us on our way there too for a very cool kayak shot with Cayo Santiago in the background (which I got within hours of our trip's conclusion - again... amazing customer service).

The kayak over was fairly simple, and once we arrived we had the pleasure of being close fairly close to shore. We were privileged enough to arrive and see a multitude of monkeys almost immediately. They were eating, playing in the trees, jumping, wrestling, and even diving from trees pretty high up into a water hole (which made for some very cool photos). As a photographer I could have sat there for HOURS taking photos - these monkeys and their behavioral patterns are fascinating. Keishya did an amazing job of ensuring I had plenty of opportunities for shots (she even assisted me while I changed lenses), while Bob remained interactive with the rest of the group. We moved from the shore and our monkey photo opportunities to go snorkeling over a sunken ship off the shore of Cayo Santiago. Keishya and Bob were amazing enough to let us snorkel on our own around the ship, but still point out items that we'd like to see. Our group saw a large amount of soft coral, a variety of tropical fish and about six different schools, a pretty large barracuda, an octopus, lionfish, and puffer fish. And then we kayaked to other side of Cayo Santiago for additional photo opportunities and and further snorkeling.

We had an even larger group of monkeys waiting for us on shore when we'd arrived there. Again Keishya was amazing and extremely concerned about our entire groups happiness with photo ops and viewing opportunities before moved further west of the island to snorkel. And this snorkeling space was a true gem. Bob and Keishya made sure that we saw LIVE purple and orange coral (which is really a privilege to see these days since coral is dying around the world at alarming rates), soft coral, and the group again got to see more lionfish, barracudas, puffer fish, and an even wider variety of tropical fish (both large and small). But the true gem?! We had the opportunity to see a very large (and resting) nurse shark laying within the coral. And after we snorkeled back to our kayaks, we set off for Punta Santiago again. Bob was awesome enough to inform us about every species of tropical fish we'd seen or asked about.

And probably the most important of all - at least in my mind - was the sustainability and how green this adventure truly is that's provided by Barefoot Travelers Kayak Tour. There isn't one pollutant produced by the trip... which ensures that this site will be around for others to see for years to come. All-and-all... this was AMAZING. I was BEYOND appreciative for the opportunities to see things on this adventure that most wouldn't ever see in their lifetimes. I was so enamored with the trip and how truly awesome Bob and Keishya are, that I'll be booking another trip with them when I return to the island in March next year. I can't even wait!!!

And for a little viewing pleasure, I uploaded a few photos and video from my cell phone. ENJOY!!!

8  Thank LaurenNicole83
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Kayaking to Monkey Island was not too difficult and the scenery was interesting. We watched the
monkeys jumping from tree to tree, wrestling, etc. not far from the shore, where we stood in the water. Bob told us all about the research on these monkeys. We then snorkeled at a sunken ship. Saw neat fish. Kayaked a little more. A very interesting am. HIghly recommend.

5  Thank travelerdebBaltimore