This November was our second stay in Hotel Canella Beach, our family (extended with two grandmothers) spent a ten days holiday in Guadeloupe staying in this hotel. We ordered via hotel internet page a double appartment and a single studio including breakfast.
Reading previous emotional reviews my purpose is to be objective about Canella Beach Hotel.
The hotel is in Gosier which is a centrally located holiday village in Guadeloupe. Position is excellent to explore the whole island. You definitely need a car, parking is free in front of the hotel, be prepared for traffic jams in/around the capital Point-a-Pitre in the evenings. The hotel is three star labelled. It has about 150 rooms in three consecutive buidlings enclosing an open swimming pool, surrounded by well-kept tropical plants and palmtrees, and located by the sea with its own sandy beach. Most rooms have some views, they are double/twin bed studios, some are duplex (for families up to 5-6 persons), all air-conditoned and have a terrace with a kitchenette to make your own food if you like. There is free wifi available.
You should take into consideration the local climate, i.e. that you are visiting an extreme humid (lot of rains) and warm place with a constant palmhouse feeling. This gives reasons for the open air dining area (birds and a lazy cat can be in and out, trying to get some food), the non-glassed windows of the rooms (lizards, gekkos or beetles can visit your room through the terrace door or window spalette), and that you find cane furniture and only tiled floor without carpets. There are mosquitos from the neighbouring mangrove and they are really biting. If you accept all these than you have no problem with the hotel, but if you do not, than you may feel really tortured.
Our rooms had nice view of the sea and of the hilly part of the island. Rooms were daily kept, towels changed, all clean and ok. Soap/shower gel re-supply was usually missing (be sure to bring your own). Room cleaning is a full day procedure, done one day 10 o’clock the other 15 o’clock. The room and the furniture is nothing fancy, but generally was in good status. There were several discrepancies: a lampbulb were not working, a picture hanger on the wall but no picture hanged, the fridge was old and rusty, not enough cutlery items, wifi was unreliable in the evening. These we considered minor problems.
Breakfast was plenty but not for a lucullus taste: crambled eggs with sausage and hams, and two choices of cheese and salami. We preferred early breakfast cca. 7 o’clock, because of doing excursions daytime.
Staff was really kind, mainly prepared for French speaking guests but with basic english we could communicate. The restaurant did not work (probably out of season time), and generally there was an airy atmosphere, no pressure of lot of guests. Special thanks to hotel management (Valérie & Edy), that the last day we could stay in one of our room till late afternoon to be able to go directly from the hotel to the evening plane back to Europe.
All-in-all, if you do not expect luxury you can just relax and enjoy very much staying in Canella Beach, once returning to Guadeloupe we would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Canella Beach Hotel is located in Gosier, at the tip of “Pointe de la Verdure”, on a white, sandy beach, surrounded by lush tropical gardens.Located 5 miles from the capital city of Pointe-a-Pitre and 8 miles from the airport POLE CARAIBES, Canella Beach Hotel-Restaurant will offer you a perfect change of scenery.It is within walking distance of hotels, restaurants, shops, a movie theatre and a casino.The architecture of “Creole” inspiration and the colourful tropical decor of the hotel will be a welcome and relaxing change of scenery. The Canella Beach offers all the amenities of a traditional 3 stars hotel while giving you the independence of an apartment hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Canella Beach Hotel-Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel-Residence Canella Beach Hotel Gosier
- Residence Canella Beach Gosier
- Canella Beach Hotel-Restaurant Guadeloupe/Le Gosier