The Lazy Duck
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Nethy Bridge
See available hotels
The Mountview Hotel(Nethy Bridge)
Nethybridge Hotel(Nethy Bridge)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Ben Mhor Hotel(Grantown-on-Spey)
View Hotel
The Boat Hotel(Boat of Garten)
Ravenscourt House(Grantown-on-Spey)
View Hotel
All reviewsbush showerducks nestoutdoor showerduck pondred squirrelsno electricitywood burning stovecooler monthswash your hairrain waterdrying rackoff grideggs laidbedroom windowfresh eggswatching the starsunique place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights over this bank holiday weekend. Quite hard to find as it doesn't have a post code. But once you're there it's beautiful, so quiet. However it is very basic, entirely Eco, no luxuries here! Outdoor shower and all, small toilet inside as well as dish washing facilities. Lovely little area, with chickens etc. the owners are so lovely and welcoming, as are their helpers, you're generally left to get on with it. Would recommend even though its quite out of the way.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Katie D
lazyduckhostel, Owner at The Lazy Duck, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thanks so much for your encouraging review. In fact we do have a post code, PH25 3ED which in the change over from an old to a new website we have forgotten to include. Thanks then for the reminder.
A note of warning though: - our geographical area for this post code is so large that if you are using GPS you will end up at the centre of the post code area but off road and nearly a mile away from us; not fun in the dark for our hostellers and hutters in particular. It is best to use GPS to reach the centre of Nethybridge and then follow the instructions you will have or we can give you from there. It is then just a mile to the Lazy Duck.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Found Lazy Duck by accident when looking for camping in the Aviemore area. So glad we did. Great hospitality, stunning and peaceful surroundings. Wildlife galore including Crested Tit on the peanut feeders and also Red Squirrel. We also saw Roe Deer in the evening as we walked into Nethy Bridge for dinner.

Expect a 'real' experience here. The owners undercharged us for our Friday night stay and some visitors may not appreciate being asked to pay more. We didn't care and it certainly won't put us off returning. Also, there are rules to follow and you're expected to abide by them. This is no hardship and the other visitors we met were obliging, friendly and many were staying for the umpteenth time.

The surrounding area is stunning but busy in summer so it was amazing to return to the tranquillity of lazy duck and feel truly relaxed.

I really recommend this place for those who love nature, peace and quiet and a genuine experience of shared accommodation. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your generous review. We can't quite work out from what you have said if we undercharged or overcharged you. I hope we got it right, if not then our apologies. For clarity the charges are as on our website :- £10.00 for one person in a 1, 2 or 3 man tent and and additional £5.00 for each extra camper in that tent. Children up to the age of 3 come free. OK?

We are unable to accommodate tents larger than 3 man. A quick look at the website photographs will show just how sensible that is for our wee site.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Just returned today from spending the weekend at The Lazy Duck for my hen do with 5 of my friends. The grounds are lovely and peaceful and the volunteers were very happy to help us get the fire started when we couldn't. The hostel is by no means luxurious but has everything you could need and is a cosy little retreat. We really wish we had time to use the wood burning hot tub as it looked amazing!

It should be noted that although you have can have sole occupancy of the hostel you do not get a key to lock up when you leave as the volunteers on site use the shower when you are out and this might be an issue for some but we felt perfectly safe leaving our belongings (which included iphones out on charge etc) when we went out for the day and all were there on our return.

It was definitely a little retreat and a nice place to just kick back and relax - exactly what we were looking for. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2013
lazyduckhostel, Owner at The Lazy Duck, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Many thanks for this supportive review. You echo largely what others have kindly said over the years about out approach to hospitality and to security. That you have singled out our volunteer summer helpers for mention is particularly pleasing and a relief to us all after the incident reported in the previous review.

You and others have suggested we post our statement on this so others who have not visited before can be as confident in us as you are. Thanks again and here it is:-

1. We did take the issue seriously with our volunteers and visiting tradesman. The guest could not be party to the process we followed internally as she was not here at the time. She had gone out.

2. The Police are well aware of this and responded quickly. They were called by the guest on her own initiative as well as on our recommendation.

3. The Police conducted rigorous searches within The Lazy Duck and questioned all of us who live and work here particularly the international volunteer Summer Helpers who had been carefully recruited and vetted for their two month stay.

3. In the second of two separate visits after the guest had left the Police said there was no evidence other than from the guest to say she had not mislaid or lost her valuables elsewhere.

4. The Police and other guests on the adjacent 4 pitch camping ground expressed surprise that the guest would bring £700.00 pounds worth of jewellery to an open plan, shared accommodation hostel. She had booked in advance and could be expected to be well aware of the facilities of this 6/8 bed hostel.

5. When the guest had asked about security she was referring specifically to a laptop she had brought with her. At no point did she mention valuables beyond this single item. Laptops and mobile phones are very commonly brought by guests without concerns.

6. Had she mentioned jewellery we would have recommended further security; we would have done what we always do and offer to care for her valuables in the safety of our own house.

7. On the guest's demand on departure for £700.00 compensation we were advised by the Police that, because of there being no evidence of theft and as equal a chance of the loss being a result of her own possible carelessness, she had no claim.

8. The final comment from the Police was that security at The Lazy Duck is and always has been appropriate to its scale and location.

9. The bathroom drip was from the cistern and was totally clean water. There was and is no stink and the problem was attended to swiftly by our trusted handyman, of 12 years service. He had not reached his task in the hostel before the guest returned. He was though working elsewhere on the premises and the guest would have seen him on her return, but not in the hostel. Valery did indeed show round a single prospective guest, a local friend who is planning for his wedding to take place next year at The Lazy Duck. She was with him throughout the short tour.

10. David is not rude to guests. He expressed great regret at her loss and yet offered the view later taken by the police with regard to liability and compensation. This was not received well.

David, Valery & L.Duck

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was booked in here for 6 nights as it was a convenient location while conducting research in the River Nethy. There is NO lockable storage facilities for valuables and as I was working in the river I was unable/didn't want to to take all my valuables with me in case they were damaged. I was assured by the owner that despite being unable to lock my things away (and that the stable style doors are left open) my belongings were safe left in the hostel especially as at the time I was the only guest staying. I spent 6 hours away from the hostel leaving my Engagement ring and Pandora bracelet behind safe in the knowledge that only the summer volunteers who live on site should be entering the hostel to carry out the cleaning (this turned out to be un-true as the owner showed some people round and they also had a 'handyman' come and carry out some work.

On my return they were not where I had left them (Sentimentality removed over £700 worth stolen)!!!! The owners a said they would take the matter seriously but yet didn't actually appear to do much about it other than keep asking me 'exactly where they were left and when I noticed they were missing'. I felt like I was not being believed and I even had to call the police myself!!

After this event, despite having no choice, I didn't like leaving ANY of my belongings behind when I went out to the river as I spent the day wondering if they would still be there on my return rather than focusing on my work.

I ended up leaving early as I was going to be out for the night and didn't want to leave my belongs behind and return to collect them the following day to find them gone. Before leaving I spoke to David about some sort of compensation as it had to be somebody they let into the hostel that took my items only to be dismissed rather rudely and told that I should have had them insured (which may be true, but is also besides the point). He then went on to suggest they were only 'allegedly stolen', making out that I had actually made it up!!

This combined with the constantly leaking out-pipe on the toilet making the bathroom stink made what should have been a lovely stay in a pretty little hostel in a lovely location, the worse experience of my life! I will NEVER stay here again and I suggest if you don't want your valuables stolen and to be called a liar, you don't either!

No doubt the owners will now comment on this review and tell you it is all lies but trust me it isn't. I was devastated to lose my engagement ring and all because I trusted it would be safe BIG mistake!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Bullfinchzoo
lazyduckhostel, Owner at The Lazy Duck, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

There is a lot we could say on this. It was a most distressing episode for everyone here as well as for our guest. For anyone who may be concerned about security at The Lazy Duck as a result of this report we suggest you ask us for details of the comments made to us by the attending officers from Aviemore Police Station following their two exhaustive visits.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at lazy duck for 2 reasons :
1. Rothimurchus campsite was full
2. I though I'd seen it in cool camping
I've never been happier a campsite was full! I'm almost tempted not to write this review and to instead try and keep it as our wee secret but that's just not fair!

David and vallery have somehow managed to strike the balance between relaxed escapisim and the modern world I didn't even know I was looking for.
The site could easily accommodate double the number of tents but the owners are quite rightly sticking to the 4 tent rule to ensure the atmosphere ad the site is maintained.

The facilities are fantastic! The flushing toilet clearly gets cleaned several times throughout the day as it was always pristine, theres a sauna and hot tub that can be booked,  there's a campfire area and a very considerate, homely shelter with tables and chairs where you can cook and eat your dinner  if it's a dreary Scottish day. Theres also an awesome tree swing, a hammock and several relaxing locations where you can slow to duck pace. I even got wifi reception in my tent! (we were closest to the house and it was a weak signal but still a pleasant surprise). The bush shower was practical and fun although we got a nice weekend. In normal Scottish weather I think you'd be rinsed clean quicker by the driving rain! But it would still be an experience.

The hostel looks amazing for a group getaway and we've already suggested it to friends. The woodmans hut looks lovely and they've a second in production.

Location wise you can walk to nethy bridge and you're still handy for aviemore and the surrounding area. We love the boat hotel in boat of garten for a treat Scottish meal. David also said the hostels open all year round. Given how good the snowboarding was in the Cairngorms this year this us probably worth keeping in mind!

David and vallery are perfect hosts and together with their volunteers there's always someone nearby to help you.

We've tried to return to nethy bridge since this purely because of the campsite but it was (unsurprisingly) fully booked.   This is a total gem. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple