“Hotel with character”

Tulloch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dingwall
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just spent two nights here . On arrival we were given friendly welcome and a lovely fire was burning in reception area. Rooms are up a few flights of stairs , no lift , room was clean and well maintained ,furnished to match the rest of the building ..the only fault was the bed had a dip in the middle ,but comfortable enough.
Had evening meal in dining room both nights and can't fault it ,food was delicious service a bit slow but we were in no hurry and it was worth waiting for . Waitresses were very friendly and pleasant and couldn't do enough for
Breakfast well cooked and waitress was same one as evening , what hard workers and manage to be pleasant at all times.
If yo are looking for clinical rooms that all look same with no character this is not for you,this hotel has character and individuality and a ghost which unfortunately we never saw even on Halloween ,

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We wanted to stay in a real castle and chose this one as it was convenient from Inverness airport.
It was a real genuine castle with atmosphere but we had a problem. The boiler had broken and not surprisingly it took time to fix. We brought this to the attention of the General Manager who dealt with things swiftly and effectively-a first class example of excellent customer relations-from which many luxury hotels could learn a lesson or two. Well done Tulloch Castle Hotel and its management

2  Thank timrobbo2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were there in October and The place was very cold. When we asked when the heat would be put on they told us "later" as in later in the year maybe.. It never went on. I slept in my socks.. The fireplaces are bricked up, the one in the lobby was working but the staff let the fire go out.. The bar is tired and ugly. The food was average, the staff were okay, but didn't really make you feel welcome. Not the experience I was hoping for.. there were 4 of us and we will never go back.. Not worth the money....

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Barbaraoverseas
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and I toured the highlands and beyond on my motorbike over five days. We stayed at Tulloch Castle on our last night. Had we stayed there on our first night, we would have made it our 'base' and wouldn't have gone anywhere else....it really was that good! On arrival we found the building looking spectacular in the lovely, well-kept grounds. We parked-up the bike and were able to secure it to a solid metal railing, not that we really felt the need to but old habits die hard. We were given a warm and friendly welcome at reception and were made to feel by the staff that they were genuinely happy to have us as their guests. For once, we were actually shown to our room, rather than just be told how to get there. A very nice touch, I thought. The room was clean, spacious, warm and comfortable and we thought the decor was very much in-keeping with the rest of the building. The bed was comfortable and the shower was hot and powerful. We decided to have our evening meal in the bar and we were certainly not disappointed. It's not often we are tempted to eat a three-course meal but on this occasion the menu proved to be just too tempting. Of all the meals we'd had over the past four days ( and most of them were of a very high standard) this was by-far the most delicious. We'd like to pass our kindest regards to the chef. Wow! Our waitress for the evening was very friendly and nothing was too much bother for her. The bar was well-stocked with a selection of whiskies and after sampling one or two, (or much more), we retired for the evening and had a very comfortable nights' sleep. Naturally, as a non-believer, I never sighted any ghosts, but I hope that doesn't mean there aren't any. A full Scottish breakfast set us up nicely for the long journey home and on checking-out, we thought that the receptionist genuinely cared if we'd had a good stay. We had a pleasant chat and she wished us a safe journey home. The professionalism, friendliness, helpfulness and caring attitude of all the staff we had contact with cannot be faulted and we would suggest to other such establishments that they spend a night and take a long, hard look at how well Tulloch Castle have brought it together. As for the odd few who choose to write negative reviews, I really do wonder what they expect. Instead of being full of their own importance, they ought to put their pretentious snobbery to one side and take the time to truly appreciate excellent service when they get it! Very well done indeed to Tulloch Castle and all its' wonderful staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in room '1'. It over-looks the car park at the side of the building.......great fo...
2  Thank Nodsieboy
TullochManager, General Manager at Tulloch Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your lovely comments. Both the staff and myself are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the Castle experience.
We hope to see you again in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Night no. 4 on the Lands End to John O‘Groats road trip and this was the only stopover where we had pre-booked a room due to meeting up with my parents who stayed for a week.

As others have said, it’s hard to believe you are heading towards a castle given that you come through a housing estate to get to it but once through the door one forgets that that is the case. And also as others have said, it IS a castle so if you want up to date technology and the like, then go elsewhere.

Yes it does smell a bit fusty but in a cold stony, castley kind of a way, not in a damp, festering kind of a way. There is no traditional reception rather a desk in a sort of entrance hall type thing. I waited a while for a member of staff to turn up but given the size of the place I had no issue with that as she was hugely apologetic. From here she couldn’t do enough for us, explained that the wi-fi in the rooms might be a bit uppy downy (which it wasn’t as it turns out) but as I’ve said, it’s a castle, I didn’t choose it for the wi-fi signal. Numerous offers were made for someone to take our bags up to the room which was some distance from reception and I would say if you have mobility problems or can’t be bothered then take them up on the offer!

The room itself was huge, clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. It had the usual tea and coffee bits and bobs and an en-suite. I have to admit the whole place felt a bit chilly and although the fire was lit in the reception room, apparently that had only just happened. That said, it either all warmed up or I got used to it as it wasn’t a problem later on and as I keep saying the place is massive, it’s not going to warm up immediately.

Then we went to the bar. This was a real disappointment, bearing in mind the décor and style of the rest of the place which is all very gothic and castley, the bar is like a working man’s club (nothing against them of course, it‘s all about context!). It’s such a shame, it’s got so much potential but I couldn’t wait to get out and to the restaurant and back to some atmosphere. There is very limited choice in terms of drinks - on asking if they served any ales we were met with a fairly terse ‘no’. But fair enough I guess, if they don’t they don’t!

Food - so, as I say, my parents had been at the castle for a few days and were eating in the restaurant every night. The same menu. Every night. On asking if the menu ever changed, they were told no. Again, that’s fine if there is some variety - within reason, I never trust restaurants with a menu that’s too big (perhaps there’s no pleasing me!). But two of the five starter options were fish and risotto featured both as a starter and a main. So if you don’t like fish or risotto you are very limited in choice. Even worse if you are vegetarian, there’s only one starter and one main! That said you can order from the bar menu although the ubiquitous risotto features there too. For us it was no real biggie as we were only staying one night but I know the parents got pretty bored. I know the castle has four stars (I’ll come on to that in a bit) but actually, the food is pretty cheap and in all honesty I think you get what you pay for. It was nothing to write home about but then it wasn’t costing the earth either. The haggis and black pudding starter was not a patch on that served at the Ben Nevis Inn but equally, it wasn’t awful - just ok.

Service - the aforementioned receptionist appeared to be always on duty and was cheerful, polite and genuinely seemed to care about the guests. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t think you can train people in ‘customer services’ - well you can of course but if they don’t have it in their blood they’ll never ‘get it’. As for the young lad who served us at dinner, well I would like to take him home and keep him as a house elf, he was charming in a young in service kind of a way.

The four stars - This is a toughie, I guess there is no getting away from the fact that technically Tulloch Castle fulfils the AA four Star criteria but as for whether or not they are deserved I can’t really decide! Yes, the receptionist and the little restaurant lad were fantastic but the barmaid, no, sorry. And on the surface, yes, it’s a great looking venue but it lacks finesse, like the bar, the fact that lovely as the restaurant staff were, our starter plates took an age to be cleared (I’ve no issue with waiting for good food to be prepared but I don’t want to look at dirty plates whilst I do so), yes I got mustard when I asked, but it arrived towards the end of the meal, yes the food was ok, but it wasn’t fantastic, the music in the dining room was just odd and due to the size and shape of the place is loud in one corner and tinny everywhere else. Would I go again? Yes I think I would but I’d be checking the menu first! All that said, are they charging 4 star prices? I'm not sure that they are.

With a massive injection of cash this could be outstanding.

1  Thank Domesticlou
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Given some of the reviews, we were a bit nervous - yet now I wonder if they were actually written by people going to the same place. I travel a lot and can be quick to look for faults. But the booking was handled superbly. I haggled to get the best room, wanting to make sure my partner would be impressed. Gorgeous, enormous, spotless, room with a view over the valley and a gigantic four poster bed. Staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. We enjoyed wonderful walks in the surrounding area and indoors admired the care with which the hotel castle had been furnished to preserve or replicate period furniture, tartans and fittings. A lot of dedication has gone into making Tulloch Castle Hotel what it is. Thoroughly enjoyable stay and the restaurant (romantic, candle lit) was good, the food striking a good balance to be special without being outrageously priced.

My only criticism would be ... The Tesco's down in the village - an eyesore that has desecrated the landscape and near-destroyed a once-thriving village. The people of Dingwall were very welcoming and we loved them! But due to Tescos their once beautiful high street is now simply awash with charity shops.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheBigStick
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My partner's review below is a great synopsis of our experence ("Dingy in Dingwall"), but I wanted to add my own thoughts about our stay at Tulloch. As a fairly experienced traveler, I know good customer service. This was not it. Hey, everyone makes mistakes and they made a pretty big one (booking one room for us instead of two). But instead of turning it into something positive for us, the general manager's response was infuriating. We had driven several hours out of our way to have a Scotish castle "experience." As my boyfriend said, we had to seek out the GM to ask her to help US rectify the situation. Sadly, that never happened. We negotiated a reduced price (and a lower price for dinner), but it was still WAY, WAY more than what we should have paid. We were tired, hungry and didn't especially want to get in the car to try to find another hotel. So we were stuck. The apartment was, to say the least, highly unacceptable. We asked to see the room in which we had originally been booked -- a four poster room -- and even that was just OK. Everything looked a bit seedy and dated. Plus, there was creepy Scottish polka-type music playing in the common areas. Strange. By the time we left (early!) the next morning, I wanted to get the heck out of there. This place needs an infusion of cash to rise to the level of acceptable. Don't look at the professional photographs -- look at some of the pics posted by guests. Big gouges in wall, peeling paint, water-stained ceilings. That's the real story.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jhcharmcity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dingwall
Kincraig Castle Hotel
#7 of 7 in Strathpeffer
Culloden House
Culloden House
#1 of 36 in Inverness

Been to Tulloch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!