“Excellent value high tea”
Review of Alexanders Bar & Brasserie - CLOSED

Alexanders Bar & Brasserie
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fife, Scotland
“Excellent value high tea”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Extremely good value high tea served on a Sunday afternoon with a set price of £9.95. Not a huge choice on the menu but a reasonable variation nonetheless. I had booked a table but surprsied to arrive to an empty dining area, although other tables had just departed. The dining area is very open and spacious. Our waitress, Rebecca, was extremely welcoming and attentive throughout. She made an effort to make friendly conversation and created a lovely atmosphere for us. On leaving she advised us that lunches were starting up again and she hoped she would see us again. Overall simply excellent customer service; Rebecca is a credit to the restaurant.

The food was absolutely faultless and I would've been happy to pay a few pounds more. Two of us had chicken goujons with peppercorn sauce. The chicken was melt in the mouth and the sauce was beautiful. A generous helping of mixed veg, including turnip, peas and carrots, was cooked perfectly. We even had a choice of chips or potatoes. The other person in our party (notoriously difficult to please!) had the steak pie which too was delicious.

The cakes and scones are sometimes where places fail with high teas. Not the Lundin Links Hotel. The scones were delicious and obviously homemade, as were the other generous selcection of cakes. We had the choice of tea or coffee. We got a pot of tea which the 3 of us easily got 2 cups each from.

I'm baffled that the restaurant is not busier, even more so that people go to The Upper Largo Hotel. I've been there a few times and the food is very average compared to what we had here. I would say the same about the nearby Old Manor. The Lundin Links Hotel would certainly be my first choice and I will definitley be returning.

• Visited May 2013

“Fine high tea.”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a high tea here, and enjoyed the experience.

First impressions.....are of a conservatory restaurant, in an old, historic, imposing hotel in lundin links, the restaurant, is bright, and looked tidy. Chairs were a bit tired, but were comfy.linen tablecloths and napkins are always a good sign.

Meet and greet, not as slick as other establishments, informal style from the waitress, but friendly none the less. We were shown to our table and handed our menu, which was a slightly uninspiring sheet of A4. The drinks order was taken later at the time for ordering food. Would have been better to take the drinks order when the menu is handed out. At this point, to the defence of the young waitress, was the fact she had only been in the job a week.

Menu...high tea based, but quite limited. Choices included breaded haddock, steak pie, chicken goujons and a pasta dish. We opted for the steak pie, and chicken goujons with a peppercorn sauce.

Service....was fine, no mistakes were made during the course of the meal and all staff that we talked to were friendly. Speed was a little on the slow side.

Food....firstly, the positives. Portion size was very good, the tea consisted of toast, main meal and some light fluffy cakes, tea or coffee. My steak pie was beautifully tender and my wife loved her chicken goujons. Accompanying the main was a mixed veg saute, consisting of cabbage and carrots. I enjoyed this, my wife however was not so keen. I was disappointed with the potato and bacon stack that also accompanied the dish. It was tasty but the potatoes were not quite cooked through, this could have been a one off, because, my wifes were fine. Sponges afterwards were unbelievably light.

Value, pretty good value for a main and cakes plus 3 drinks for £35.

Overall...we would certainly return, next time, maybe for lunch.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went to the bar after checking in and found the staff to be friendly and the prices very reasonable. Staff were very attentive and we would visit again...

Visited December 2012
Lundin Links, United Kingdom
“Desperate Times”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The LL hotel has admitted to be unable to continue trading for much longer. As a result, they now offer "Take Away" food.
My wife and i live around the corner so, as we're not in the mood to go out, we tried the haddock gougons and fries which only cost £10 total. Cheap but this food is now in the bin. Cheap rubbish badly cooked! Very, very poor show and not worth £2 far less 10. Give this offer a wide berth. A case of the kitchen staff letting down the rest.

Leven, United Kingdom
“Early evening meal”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

On driving back from St Andrews, popped in for tea. wished we had kept driving. Did not have much atmosphere and service was not of a good standard, been before and enjoyed our meal but mnot impressed this time around

• Visited September 2012