“Loved it”

Beacon Leisure Centre
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The staff were very friendly and the facilities were great - convenient toilets, good sized changing rooms, the flumes are great for kids, the pool is pretty big but with an extra shallow part for younger kids. I enjoyed my swim :)

1  Thank L W
in 15 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I have been swimming once per week here on a regular basis for several years. The centre is fairly small but there is always plenty car-parking and the reception is always manned and efficient.Changing cubicles are adequate and the pool itself is to an excellent standard and is always warm.Staff are always friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that in the school summer holidays too much of the pool is given over for too long to activities for children at the expense of regulars.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The swimming pool in Burntisland has two flumes, a wave machine, and a shallow end that is very child friendly. The cafeteria has now closed and the only food and drinks available are from machines.

I have arrived at the Leisure Centre a couple of times to find the pool closed for swimming lessons. So I would advise checking the fifeleisure website for the Beacon Activity Programme to find out when the pool is open.

1  Thank ScoVietUnion
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my local swimming pool and my children attend often for lessons. The pool is not huge, but very child friendly and reasonably priced. There is food to purchase and other facilities including a gym. The kids love the flumes and waves. Staff are always friendly and helpful.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am a teenager so i was thrilled to find out that it was free for me and my friends to swim! We had a choice of either Levenmouth Pool or the Beacon pool, with no hesitation we chose the Beacon because of its friendly atmosphere for kids and the bullet flume for us thrill seekers, also we enjoy the waves at the Beacon and think their much better than the waves at Levenmouth.

In high spirits we set off and got in the pool. The flume as ever was amazing and in our allotted time we had 3 wave sessions. 2 of which were enjoyable. The one that wasn't however did not affect me much, but that of a young girl (probably no more than 9 years old)

The waves had begun and had been on for about a minute when the girl was swimming up to the wave chambers, where me and my friends were already there. I noticed her when i heard gasps and gulps and constant splashing from behind me. It was this girl looking way out of her depth and struggling to stay about water level. I then looked up to the lifeguard closest to me, to find that she was looking straight at the girl struggling, i then thought that she would jump in and help the girl from drowning, but no. I then took another look to the girl in the pool and took it upon myself to help her out.

As I grabbed her hand to keep her above water level she tightly wrapped one of her hands round my arm whilst the other was still continuously flapping to help her stay afloat. It was only when i got her to the edge of the pool where the railing is, that i realized she could of been only seconds away from drowning. As soon as she could she rapidly changed from gripping my arms to gripping the railing, she remained there for the rest of the wave session.

I might not have been so p***ed off if a lifeguard hadn't of seen, but it was the fact that a lifeguard had seen it and thought she was fine, now I'm not an expert but I'm sure some of the most obvious signs of drowning are gasps/gulps and constant splashing.

I love the pool/waves/flumes no doubt about that, but this is the first ever problem i have encountered with the lifeguards, what if i wasnt there, what if she drowned, i think the lifeguards should be more attentive and not leave jumping in as a last resort.

I'm sure and sincerely hope this was an isolated incident and would never happen again, this will not stop me from using the pool again

9  Thank Cameron C