Thainstone House
$75
Strathburn Hotel(Inverurie)
$134
$117
Macdonald Pittodrie House(Chapel of Garioch)
$156
$123
$95
$184
$128
$83
Hampton by Hilton Aberdeen Airport(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$99
$75
Jurys Inn Aberdeen Airport(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$76
$69
$67
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewstaster menuspa breakafternoon teadownstairs barboys roomsteak nightspa facilitieshot tubsteam roomcrerar hotelscountry houseboth nightspublic areasthe general managerdrawing roomhigh standardclub room
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Charming Old Building with lots of Character, staff friendly and helpful, rooms immaculate, nicely presented, hotel overall was far too hot could have done with turning the heating down considerably, or off, bearing in mind it was very warm outside. The Food was very nice, there were two things that let it down, absolutely hate this current trend serving main courses on a wooden board, plates much nicer and more hygenic. The drinks were exorbitant price, different prices dependant on who served you, the most expensive at £9.00 for a whiskey & Lemonade, only blended, not even malt.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found many positive elements about the hotel and I can assure you I have taken on board your other points. I do hope you can stay at Thainstone again soon

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Decided to stay here whilst visiting Scotland for a party. Having read the mixed reviews arrived with a fairly open mind. Check-in was easy and all the staff were helpful and friendly if maybe a little short staffed in the restaurant at breakfast time.

We booked the hotel as wifi was essential however it never worked in our room and was broken until the Saturday evening in the communal areas. This was inconvenient as there was no 3G. I would not say this was a wifi throughout hotel despite being labelled as such.

Our room was nicely decorated how we had no view outside as the window was above head level. Very disappointing. The bathroom had nice lighting but the bath had two rusty areas and the cold water did not work in the bath and we had to curiously run the shower and bath simultaneously to obtain cold water. The bed linen was lovely but the towels were well worn. Very nice toiletries. The room was advertised as having a trouser press but sadly this was amiss too.

The grounds were beautiful as was the setting.

We were however very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hot choice on the menu at breakfast (would have like more choice of fruit) which was fantastic. We ate dinner from the a la carte menu one evening and this was suburb.

All in all a pleasant stay. This could be a high class hotel but currently lacks attention to detail seen in other establishments of the same ilk. I understand the hotel is being refurbished but I feel our room was overpriced due to no window we could see out of. Some scented candles or such would be nice as there was a distinct fusty smell throughout the communal areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad , that overall you enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to my excellent chef and his team. Unfortunately the hotel was built to be sympathetic to the original house so we do not boast any rooms with great views, however, as I am sure you saw, our public areas and restaurant boast wonderful of our resort. I am also glad to let you know that we are currently upgrading our internet system to super fast broadband which should be complete in the next few weeks.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Thainstone has recently been taken over by the crerar group and you can tell, the refurbishment is gorgeous. The staff cant do enough to please from reception, bar , restaurant and spa. The hotel Manager is an asset, extremely helpful and fantastic customer liason skills. We shall go here on a regular basis from now on , the menu is filled with local produce ,fresh fish from Peterhead. Thanks again Robin Osman. The spa is away to be refurbished.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Champneys444

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and I was delighted I was able to help you and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Hotel is under redevelopment so do expect a few rooms that are a bit tired. The waiting staff at the function were 100% efficient and curtious, but the wedding meal was a lot to be desired, a small carrot cut into 4, 1 clorret of broccoli, a spoon of mash and small parcel of vegetable served warm the vegetarian main course option. 180 persons at reception, yet only 2 bar staff serving + 1 person washing glasses, total nightmare for customers, where were the management?

Breakfast next morning was worse, 1 young girl serving a very limited fare, bacon, tomatoes, powdered scrambled eggs and soggy haggis pudding as the only hot option, I for one gave breakfast a miss, as did others, opting instead for luke warm tea and cold toast. I like many others did not complain as we were guests at a wedding, and felt embarrassed for the bride and groom. I will leave you with a complaint re; alcohol prices, 1 pint and vodka and lemonade £9.10p, you decide.

Overall a 3star hotel with 5 star prices

Room Tip: choose a room to the back of the hotel and well away from function suite, in my opinion not suitable for disabled, elderly or infirm until further improved
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies that the wedding was not to your satisfaction. We have received nothing but positive feedback from the rest guests about the meal so I am disappointed this was not the case with your meal. I can assure you I have taken your points on board and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Great food, great service and beautiful surroundings. A family dinner where we all had the 6 course tasting menu. Wonderful tasty food in perfect portions! At first we were a little concerned that the portions appeared very small, but as the meal continued this turned out to be perfect, so we were not 'stuffed' by the end. A beautiful old mansion house with a fantastic traditional décor, a lovely dining room and beautiful lounge areas. Attentive service from Louise and Alex. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had an excellent dining experience in our Green Lady restaurant and do hope you can join us again soon.