“nice visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Inverurie
Grantown on Spey, null, United Kingdom
“nice visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Had a 3 day dinner,bed and breakfast stay at end of august this year. Very nice hotel and staff extremely helpful and waiting staff very efficient. We had a 6 course taster menue every night,couldnt fault quality although the "jelly and ice cream " on sun night amounted to a melon ball scoop of ice cream and some red sauce and foam,no jelly of any type!. Breakfasts were not up to much, the continental and cold brekkie were fine, any hot food apaprt from porridge was not up to scratch im sorry to say. Overall a good visit although the seating in room 101 was very uncomfortable and the mattress needs changed as very lumpy and saggy in middle.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I certainly take your other comments on board. We are about to commence a full refurbishment of all bedrooms which will be scheduled for completion in 2014. I do hope that you come back soon and I look forward to welcoming you personally next time

Thainstone House Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I, like many others before me, do extensive research through trip advisor and other sites to see where i am taking my family to stay. And i have to admit, the outlook on Thainestone House was bleak. However, we gave this hotel the benefit of the doubt and boy, were we glad.

I have never seen such friendly staff in Scotland, (and yes, there are many Scots working here, maybe they were just on a day off!!) From when we checked in with the ever so smiley and happy Sheena, who kept the banter flowing throughout our time (Once i figure out how, i will put her photo with us up) the stay got better. We had dinner in the restaurant on both nights and the gentleman (George i think we were told, could be Grahame? My memory fails me at times) who served us in the restaurant was most imformative! The food was great on the first night from Chef Andrew, very well presented and my oh my such flavours! However on the 2nd night the portions could have been bigger, it was still amazing, just not as satisfied. A different chef we were told. Cant win them all I guess!

The rooms were not great, but not as bad as they have been made out to be on here. Some small decorative issues, but my no means unclean. Housekeeping staff however were a little on the rude side and wouldnt even make eyecontact? Maybe they were just on the busy side?

We did not unfortunatly get the chance to make use of the pool and spa, however they looked very welcoming.

We had some drinks in the Club Room, or the Cocktail Bar as the staff better named it. Was welcoming and comfortable, but a couple of issues struck me here.
1- The fireplace sitting empty. Light it, its getting rather cold out there and even though you Scots are used to the cold, not everybody is!
2 - Please train your staff on Whiskey. Your barman (His name escapes me) gave us wrong information on some whiskey he was trying to sell us. We know this, as we had visited the distillery that day!! Perhaps it was because he was English? Next time tell us you dont know, we would respect you more than lying to us.

All in all, we enjoyed Thainestone House Hotel very much,and thats mainly due to the staff and the food. Thank you, and we shall return!

George

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GEdmonton2013
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found your stay to be a wonderful experience and I can assure you that I have taken note on the other points you made. I will certainly pass on your comments to my team, who work tirelessly to improve all our guests experience. I look forward to your return and hope to welcome you personally

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Been here before a few years ago and what a difference! They have started a major refurb that seems to be happening in stages. The reception area is so much nicer and beautifully decorated. The biggest improvement was the food. They obviously have a new Head Chef who has made a world of difference, the food was brilliant. We had scallops and langoustines to start followed by the Chateau briand to share, wow! The wine list still needs a bit of work, we wanted 2 glasses of Champagne but they dont do it by the glass. I asked for a Prosecco but again not available by the glass. A small thing I hope they sort. On the whole though, as the title states, what a difference to a few years ago, the place is looking so much sharper, the service really welcoming and friendly but even if you are not staying, just go and check out the food in the restaurant, its easily the best in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aoife D
Dear Guest

Thank you for review on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and are noticing the improvements which we are making on a continual basis. I look forward to welcoming you back personally next time

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of times now through work. Not many scots workin there. Staff are slow and food is average. Wouldnt pay to stay here. Other nicer and better hotels in the area. The 1 positive, the gym n spa

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mullen1988
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Please let me apologise that your stay at Thainstone House did not meet your expectations. We at, Crerar Hotels, have only recently bought the property and are currently investing a great deal of time and effort into staff training and the full refurbishment of all our public areas which is due for completion shortly. We do in fact, have a number of Scottish team members ( myself included) and I can assure you that we are making great amounts of progress every day. I do hope you would feel able to return to the hotel and see the fruits of our efforts over the next few months

General manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at Thainestone and NOTHING had improved since the renovations. The rooms were small and I had a view of a roof from what seemed to be servants quarters.
The staff(apart from the super efficient receptionist Merica!) were very hard to find and when they appeared were really slow and almost awkward. Hardly any friendly Scottish voices among them either. It did not feel like a friendly Scottish establishment.
In my room the tv didn't work I only had 3 channels on a tv from the late 80's , my bath mat was wet on arrival, cutlery and crockery was mis-matched(a theme carried on in the over-priced restaurant) An oil-filled radiator in my room didn't seem to work when required. The tap in the bathroom was loose, having said all this, the room was clean.
The T-bone steak I ordered medium rare in the restaurant came out burnt and was around 40% gristle, i complained about the steak and was told that I would not be charged for it and no replacement was offered. Breakfast was ok, but very small portions and full breakfast lacking in quantity for the size of plate!
All in all, could do better

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations. I apologise that you did not find the service experience to be satisfactory and I can assure I will be using your comments to look at further team training here at the hotel. At Thainstone we pride ourselves on our customer service and I can assure you that that your stay is not indicative of our usual high standards of service. If you would like to discuss your experience in more details then please do not hesitate to contact me directly

I thank you for your comments and do hope you feel you can return to Thainstone in the future

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

stayed here a few days, great location and beautiful grounds.

we ate in The Green Lady Restaurant - had taster menu included. The waitress Louise was superb! she made sure we were satisfied with our meal and the wine included. she asked about our plans throughout our stay and she recommended some great places. she really is great at her job and is a credit to the hotel. The food throughout was brilliant. P.S. the sticky toffee pudding is heaven on a plate!!

Already planning another visit here in the near future.

1 Thank hm232
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Thainstone House Hotel& Spa. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, particular the service from Louise and the food in our newly refurbished Green Lady restaurant. I can assure you I have passed on your praised my team here at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back personally in the future

warmest Regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

we stayed for 2 nights. The room was spacious and clean, breakfast was good and the bar food was good and priced reasonably and Matthew the barman is good company and quite excellent at his job and certainly knew the whiskies. The staff are very pleasant. The grounds are excellent.

Room Tip: try and get a room overlooking the grounds