“Not the best has potential” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thainstone House

Thainstone House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Inverurie
“Not the best has potential”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel aims high but misses to get off the ground. Rooms with water stained roofs. No fresh towels, run down rooms. Food in the restaurant is a let down, I ate in the bar which was ok, but then I thought let's treat my self, overpriced and poor probably the worst stake I have ever had. The staff did take it off bill. Don't get me wrong the decor in bar's and reception area are nice but it fore give you a false impression. The gym is great and it is included in price. Over all not the best I have stayed in a lot better hotels for half the price.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

You pass by some gate posts down a tarmac drive then bang; the tarmac ends and you are driving on a rutted potholed track thinly disguised with stone chippings. Main entrance closed during part of our stay; had to use a side door into a scruffy corridor strewn with wind-blown leaves. Not a good first impreesion. Decor and furnishings of the hotel need improvement but I gather they are working on that. Bedroom just OK but (1) biscuits not replaced, (2) a box of tissues would have been appreciated, (3) as would some bottled water in the hot weather, (4) the shower head was fixed and was only at shoulder height so couldn't stand under it, and (5) no light over the bathroom mirror so, if needing bathroom during the night, had to turn on main bathroom light which immediately started up a noisy fan.

Food good but if you are on DB&B rates, there's a very limited menu unless you pay a supplement. Staff friendly and generally helpful so this somewhat compensated for the somewhat run-down feeling of the hotel. Hotel situation and grounds pleasant. Overall just about deserves 3 stars but facilities need improving.

Room Tip: Our stay was booked through Easy Breaks; is this why we could only see a wall through the window? I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clive F
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

On arrival I was excited by what I seen, an old prestigious building with a grand entrance door and set in amazing surroundings.
Once I got inside I noticed a lot of decorating and refurbishing taking place which I wasn't made aware of but oh well it has to be done because we would only rate it as "dated" or "run down" on here wouldn't we!
Check in took a while even though I was the only one at the desk as they couldn't find me on their system at first. The carpets on the way to the room were heavily stained but didn't seem to be part of the renovation and the corridors were very dark with badly hung pictures.
The bedroom was more of the same, hopefully the redecorating will stretch to the floors above as the room was dark, old and dusty.
The bathroom was tiny and also dimly lit with the light on.
The staff were pleasant but I waited a while in the bar to get a drink as there was nobody around. I didn't fancy eating there with the smell of damp wall paper which had just been striped off but the menu looked ok.
The location was great for me as I was on business in the area but it would also suit a country getaway.
It was a real shame that the inside didn't match the grandeur and prestige of the outside but maybe it will once the whole place is updated and the service improved slightly.

• Stayed June 2013
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I arrived this afternoon with my teenager who uses a wheelchair. The car park outside the hotel has a thick covering of pebbles which is impossible to push a wheelchair over. The entrance to the hotel is up a flight of stairs. There is an entrance through the SPA or, as we were shown, past the smelly bin recess. Neither can be called disabled friendly. I had asked for a twin room with disabled access. The first room we were shown to was a small room which we couldn't enter with the wheelchair and had a small double bed. When I pointed out that I had asked for a twin room I was informed that the Groupon voucher said double/twin room. We were then given a bigger, twin room. The tv was old fashioned, I had to ask for a chair for the dressing table and it had a view of the back door but it was large, had a decent bathroom and coffee making facilities. I had been told before booking that there were no disabled shower facilities in the rooms but that the showers in the spa would be suitable.
We then headed to the spa to have a swim. There are no disabled facilities. The showers have no rails or seats. The door from the changing room to the shower area is too narrow to get a wheelchair or walking frame through. The pool area is tatty, has peeling paint and no glass in the ceiling windows.
After changing we went to find the lounge. The small bar upstairs was closed as they were hanging pictures. We couldn't get down to the other bar as there was a flight of stairs. We were given a drink in the hall area near the reception. This area has recently been refurbished but it is very dark and the furniture is old. It was thick with dust. I could write my name on the stairs.
This was supposed to be a treat in a spa hotel for a teenage girl. It was dingy, grubby and inaccessible for wheelchairs. It is important that a person with disabilities is included in all activities but we couldn't even mix with people in the bar. We were both pretty miserable and decided to leave and come home. I spoke to the General Manager who empathised and assured me he would get in touch with Groupon tomorrow morning to give us a full refund.

Room Tip: Room 111 is a large twin but has no outlook
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank amnicoll
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am so confused by the negative reviews on here... We were at Thainstone House last night and every staff member that I met was friendly and very helpful. The food was delicious too!

There is some refurb work going on at the moment but it's not a big deal and certainly didn't effect our evening. The public areas are looking great!

Inverness
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Chose this location to stay for our wedding anniversary. One could make excuses as the hotel was undergoing refurbishment during our visit, but even so, a lot more could have been done to help clientelle. ie - a temporary paper sign pinned to the wall would have helped in finding the reception. Our room was adequate but on having a problem with our sink we were immediately given another room - this too was adequate and had all the usual facilities.
Dining room had a pleasant ambience and staff all very friendly and helpful. Tables had to be booked for dinner. As we were on a dinner/b&b break, the dinner menu offered was similar to a la carte but portions were smaller.
Breakfast time was a busier affair, there was a good choice but needed someone to keep an eye on the buffet table - muesli had run out, I had to wait almost ten minutes to get the bowl of prunes replenished and other customers had to ask for juices to be topped up. The main course was table service and again a good choice and very tasty.
The majority of waiting staff are very young and in my opinion are in need of more training before this would become the high class hotel they are aspiring to be.
The passage way leading from the dining room to the kitchen gave off a bad impression and could do with a clean up. Behind the scenes are just as important.
Overall had a lovely stay and would like to return at some point when the refurbishments have been completed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The road to the hotel has Tarmac only approximately half way.The other half is granite chips and in places is so badly rutted that I seriously doubt the common sense of the hotel management allowing the road (track) to be in such a state of disrepair.How can the hotel management expect patrons and expensive cars to use such a dire access road.?.Car parking is also extremely poor unless you are lucky enough to park beside main door, you are actually on Tarmac..other than that cars are expected to use dirt parking areas.Arriving with clean shoes on a wet day would be difficult as these dirt areas have no proper path to hotel door...The food service was truly awful.One example being..Ten minutes for a waitress to arrive and another twenty for the food to arrive and that was us having to go to reception to ask what was happening.?.We almost gave up in desparation and eventually anger.
We did use the pool and sauna but the spa is really in need of a major makeover.My wife noticed that they have something similar to a tent over the roof of the pool.All the glass seems to be missing.?The general decor of the spa is very poor with paint and tiles off the walls at various locations.The showers worked ok but the soap dispenser in the male showers had a cover lying on the floor that had been stuck onto the dispenser with what looked like Blu Tac.The changing rooms were nothing special and again in need of a makeover..On checking out Reception took fully ten minutes to print off a receipt as the "printer was playing up again"..Well how about fixing it..?
We certainly would not stay nor eat here again.Hotel management and owners need to themselves to be trained in how to "really" operate a professionally ran hotel..

1 Thank SKENEBEAN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverurie
Macdonald Pittodrie House
Kildrummy Castle Hotel
Kintore Arms Hotel
Kintore Arms Hotel
#5 of 5 in Inverurie

Been to Thainstone House? Share your experiences!