“So unprofessional..”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Inverurie
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
“So unprofessional..”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The road to the hotel has Tarmac only approximately half way.The other half is granite chips and in places is so badly rutted that I seriously doubt the common sense of the hotel management allowing the road (track) to be in such a state of disrepair.How can the hotel management expect patrons and expensive cars to use such a dire access road.?.Car parking is also extremely poor unless you are lucky enough to park beside main door, you are actually on Tarmac..other than that cars are expected to use dirt parking areas.Arriving with clean shoes on a wet day would be difficult as these dirt areas have no proper path to hotel door...The food service was truly awful.One example being..Ten minutes for a waitress to arrive and another twenty for the food to arrive and that was us having to go to reception to ask what was happening.?.We almost gave up in desparation and eventually anger.
We did use the pool and sauna but the spa is really in need of a major makeover.My wife noticed that they have something similar to a tent over the roof of the pool.All the glass seems to be missing.?The general decor of the spa is very poor with paint and tiles off the walls at various locations.The showers worked ok but the soap dispenser in the male showers had a cover lying on the floor that had been stuck onto the dispenser with what looked like Blu Tac.The changing rooms were nothing special and again in need of a makeover..On checking out Reception took fully ten minutes to print off a receipt as the "printer was playing up again"..Well how about fixing it..?
We certainly would not stay nor eat here again.Hotel management and owners need to themselves to be trained in how to "really" operate a professionally ran hotel..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SKENEBEAN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here for business at the end of June. We were holding a conference in the hotel and also staying there.
I was disappointed, when arriving at the hotel, to find that a refurbishment was under way and no one had thought to tell us prior to our conference. There was no carpet in the reception area, workmen were in the process of re-painting and the walls had been stripped bare of wall paper. This was far from appealing, however, more importantly, the signs were taken down and even finding the reception was somewhat of a guessing game. Had it not been for myself and our team instructing reception to print off signs directing our guests around the hotel the day may not have gone so smoothly. Other concerns in relation to the event was a conference co-ordinator not turning up until 9:45 when our event started at 9:50, no pens on the table (although paper was provided!) no sweets on the table, a carpet in need of a hover (again our team instructed the staff to do this) and a cleaning stored in the disabled toilets even though we had informed the hotel that we had a number of people with disabilities coming. The day itself went smoothly but only due to our team running around organising, something that should have been the duty of the co-ordinator.
In relation to the stay, as with the event, this was somewhat of a disappointment. On arrival the door was opened for me but I was not directed to reception. As there were no signs this was somewhat of a guessing game. I arrived at 9:10pm to be told that the kitchen had closed for the evening. I was only able to get a sandwich on room service at the cost of over £7 which I was not prepared to stay. I have to say, I was somewhat surprised to find I could not get something hot on room service in a three star hotel. The room was also small and my view was of a roof.
The next day breakfast was somewhat of a shambles; no clean tables in the dining room, tea and coffee brought when we had no cups, we waited an age for someone to take our order and then when it arrived I had to take the cutlery, napkins and side plates off another table as we had none. The staff seemed clueless to basic good service.
I would not stay here again and certainly would not trust the hotel to help make an event run smoothly without vast amounts of input.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Curious_traveller005
Dundee
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Had a lovely weekend at Thainstone
Lisa and her staff were great very friendly and helpfull
room was big and bright , breakfast had good choice , dinner was lovely , drink was cold and reasonable price for a place like this .
Hotel going through a refurbishment but no great problem
weekend was great will go back soon.
Good value for money

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights for a celebration. I have been here for a wedding before and have loved it, so was really excited about staying here. The drive up is fantastic although the terrain is very rough (drive SLOWLY!!!). The hotel looks beautiful when you arrive and the reception area is beautiful.

The room was... a bit of a disappointment. The room was just tiny, unsuitable really for two people to be staying in. Our view was over a roof area that was being refurbished and the room was HOT.

We very much enjoyed using the pool, although the steam room was out of order, which was a shame.

Dinner on both nights was lovely, a tasting menu that consisted of 6 courses. We very much enjoyed it.

But what ruined the trip was breakfast. On the Saturday morning we went down to breakfast at 9.30am and were put in a table at the corner of the dining room. We then waited 15 minutes to get our drinks orders, and waited another 20 minutes for our order to arrive. Other people seemed very disgruntled by this, but we put it down to a busy morning or perhaps a lack of staff for whatever reason.

To avoid this happening again, we went down at 8:50am on the Sunday morning. We were sat in the same table, and at 9:45am our drinks order was taken. At 10:15am our food arrived.

Service at breakfast completely ruined this trip. We left feeling angry, ripped-off and disgruntled. We had wanted to come here to relax and were so disappointed by the service. I'm embarrassed to think that foreign tourists might come here and experience that.

I don't think we will bother returning to Thainstone again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thetravelchick000
glasgow
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This was the fourth time I have stayed here in the last 9 months and the refurbishments are still progressing.
A fair amount of money is being spent on updating what had become a neglected gem.
Superb grounds for outside enjoyment of a sunny day.
Plus point was the much better wifi coverage, free, so no need to go to the public areas anymore to get a connection.
Minus point - food in the dining room. In staying here before I have enjoyed both the quality and value of the dining room evening meals.
This time being on a tariff that included dinner one night I was looking forward to my meal.
The meal was a 6 course affair which would have cost £32..50
The food was bland, sparse, and insipid in every way.
If you wanted to depart from this menu you could have anything from the main menu at a supplement.
So - if you only wanted a steak you had a supplement of £12 to pay on top of the £32.50 menu price
I think the hotel needs to sort out its menu and its pricing policy and return to good quality food at sensible prices.
I will return as long as the hotel continues to offer good value compared to staying in Aberdeen city where the room rates are totally excessive!

• Stayed July 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel, although Aberdeen hotel prices are always high at £124, this was very poor value for money. The hotel is undergoing a big re-furbishment and should'nt really be open to customers, or certainly not when you are paying £124. The bedroom was tiny, I could barely walk around the bed. Although the rooms have been refurbished they are still small and dark. The publin areas have badly stained carpets, the reception has a old, damaged wooded counter, wires and boxes all jumbled behind. The TV had 4 channels only, and when I asked I was told 'they are the same in every room'. At breakfast the gentleman next to me compalined about his breakfast. I was disappointed with the choice of 2 cereals only and had a dead fly in my tea. To complete my poor experience you are charged £2.50 to pay by credit card!! Not a Hotel I will visit again ....ever!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sarah A
Warwick
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the area on business, the rooms were nice and big. The shower was piss poor but it was obvious that there was a lot of refurb work being done. The gym also need a good update.
Breakfast was nice but the continental spread didn't offer much variety. The menu was also too complicated but the food was acceptable.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverurie
Macdonald Pittodrie House
#5 of 5 in Inverurie
Douneside House
Douneside House
#1 of 2 in Aboyne

Been to Thainstone House? Share your experiences!