“not great”
Review of Thainstone House

Thainstone House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Inverurie
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I accompanied my partner on his business trip, staying at this hotel. I was looking forward to relaxing and using the leisure facilities. The pool,sauna and jacuzzi closed on our first night there,(we were there for 2 nights). They were still closed on the morning we left, it was extremely disappointing. The hotel was being refurbished when we were there. We had to enter the hotel through a side entrance....not even spruced up as it was now the temporary main entrance, it was dingy and uninviting. I didnt get to see the front of the hotel at all due to work being carried out. The staff were all pleasant, especially the dutch girl in the downstairs bar. The rooms are comfortable enough but really need refurbished. The ceiling in our bathroom was badly damaged. I'm afraid we will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Thainstone House Hotel. I'm sorry to read that you were dissapointed with your stay. As you comment, the hotel will benefit greatly from refurbishment which is now underway. We have extensive plans to renovate throughout the hotel, with public rooms, car park and driveway already underway. I appreciate that completing such work does cause some temporary inconvenience and would extend my sincere apologies if you found this work intruded upon your comfort. Never the less, I hope you will consider visitng again next time you are in the area to see the extend of improvements we have achieved.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Spent one night at this beautiful setting for a hotel, unfortunatly the hotel is under refurbishment and although the staff made our stay very comfortable and without exception were very obliging there is a bit of disruption due to ongoing work,It is obvious a lot of money is being spent throughout this hotel and it will be a 1st class when finished. Will definatly visit again.

Room Tip: The twin room we were in was very small and very near the road, Ask to see available rooms when book...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your reveiw following your recent visit to Thainstone House Hotel. As you comment, phase 1 of our extensive refurbishment project is very much underway and I appreciate that this can cause some temporary distrubance, whcih I hope was not overly instrusive during your stay.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights beginning of April....and I have to say we were initially disappointed....The room although clean and spacious enough, lacked the character we expected and was a little dingy and 'tired'.
We had dinner the first night served in the beautiful restaurant which overlooks the parkland grounds. The menu choice was quite extensive but when the food arrived, it was a little bit lacklustre, although perfectly edible. The bar was very nice to retire to after dinner, with a big roaring fire and an attentive friendly barman. We had a few drinks and retired to bed where we spent most of the night awake.....partly because the bed was not very comfortable, and the room was stuffy but also because we had to listen to our upstairs neighbours television til the early hours!! The soundproofing was dire, and this is in the newest part of the building!
In the morning neither of us had had much sleep and had halfway decided to check out and go home.However breakfast was really lovely, the sun was shining, the thought of going home became very much less appealing and my sensible man thought we should stay if we could move to an upper room...Liz the assistant manager came and chatted with us over coffee, about the problems we'd had and she then moved us up to a very nice room on the first floor...and I do have to say, the rest of the stay improved immeasurably from thereon.
We had a fantastic swim and sauna, went out for the second nights dinner to the highly recommended local Indian restaurant (booking advised and organised by the hotel) and ended back in front of our log fire for a couple of post prandial nightcaps before having a great nights sleep, which was totally undisturbed and very very comfortable!
It is very apparent that the hotel is currently trading on a reputation from the past, it is tired and in need of tlc...but we were informed it has been taken over very recently and that a major programme of refurbishment and improvement has been started! And there is so much that is very right about it! It is certainly an impressive old building, the setting is wonderful and we couldn't fault the staff! Nothing was too much trouble, everyone smiles and they seem anxious to ensure you're are having a good stay! Right from Mabel in housekeeping, to Liz, Calum on reception, Chris who tends bar to the gardener/maintenance man...they were all fabulous.........
Would I go back? Certainly! And I sincerely hope the future bodes well for the hotel, and the staff who seem to genuinely care about it!

Room Tip: Book a 1st floor room......room 204 if you can get it :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review following your recent visit to Thainstone House Hotel. i was sorry to read that you spent an uncomfortable first night during your stay. However, it is pleasing to read that we were able to offer an alternative room for you - indeed, I have to say 204 is my personal favourite.

It is kind of you to highlight the friendlyness of the staff as we really do go out of our way to extend a warm highland welcome and do anything within our powers to ensure our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Phase 1 of our extensive refurbishment project is well underway currently and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to take in the improvements being made before too long.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Thainstone is no longer a Swallow Hotel.
The 3* rating is about right but it could be 5*.
My reservation was not honoured when I checked in. I requested a room change and was lucky to get one, although I had to forgo having a desk for having a bed larger than a child's single. The invoice was wrong on check out too, apparently the fault of the evening reception staff - why I needed to know this I don't know - the guest should never be made aware of in-fighting.
The hotel is tired and the rooms are dated. The electric wall heaters are inefficient. The sash windows are draughty. The driveway is so badly potholed. There is ample free parking.
The housekeeping is ok on the surface but don't move the furniture - the housekeeping staff clearly don't.
The setting for the hotel is lovely, lots of countryside yet close enough to the main road for access to Aberdeen and Inverurie. The staff at the hotel are friendly and helpful.
The restaurant was temporarilty set up in the Ambassador suite while the restaurant was being refurbished. The service was attentive and the menu choices were good. The food was disappointing, a risotto that was more like fried rice and only luke warm. The breakfast service was better.
There is a spa and small gym.
The rates were acceptable but given the tired state of the hotel they should be a little lower.
Positive points were: comfy bed and pillows, pleasant setting, no additional charge for wi-fi.

Room Tip: Insist on a double room. The single beds are tiny.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was a bit nervous of arriving after reading some of the reviews but I can only say it was perfectly enjoyable. Yes the hotel could do with a freshen up but overall we truly enjoyed our stay. Pool, sauna, stream room and jacuzzi were good and all the hotel staff we met could not have been more helpful and friendly. The only niggle I have is that the deal we booked included an aromatherapy massage which we were unable to have as it was fully booked. Staff told us we should have booked ahead but we we were not told that at the time of booking. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and I can only say the eggs benedict was amazing. For dinner we sat in the bar, food was really nice - no complaints there. Overall a very relaxing time, looking forward to going back once the refurb is complete.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your positive reveiw following your recent stay at Thainstone House Hotel. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular that you enjoyed both out breakfast and bar food offerings. I was sorry to read that you had difficulty in arranging your spa treatment; our spa is particularly busy at the moment and advance booking is required, but we should really have picked up on this. I hope, however that this wouldn't deter you from returning, in particular to see the results of our on-going renovations.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had our wedding reception at the hotel and it was perfect. The staff were so helpful and nothing was too much bother for them! I stayed the night before with my family and bridesmaids and whenever I saw a staff member they asked how I was feeling or how I was getting on. Every query we had was dealt with quickly and efficiently. Special thanks to Brian, Alison and Liz! You guys were great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for for posting your positive review following your recent wedding celebrations here at Thainstone House Hotel. I was delighted to read how friendly and helpful you found the team of staff here to be. It was our pleasure to look after you on your special day and from all the Thainstone House team, our very best wishes to you both for a long and happy marriage.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Excellent staff and good hotel throughout. they upgraded automatically which was very nice.
We had read reviews which were not great, and they were nothing like our impression of the hotel. The best thing was the attitude of the staff. They were excellent.

Room Tip: It wasn't busy and they upgraded immediately.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your positive review following your recent visit to Thainstone House Hotel. I was delighted to read just how much you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for highlighting the friendly and attentive staff and i'm pleased to note that we were able to offer you an upgrade on this occasion.

On behalf of all the hotel team, we look forward to welcoming you back to Thainstone House next time you are in the area.

Barry Clark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverurie
Macdonald Pittodrie House
#5 of 5 in Inverurie
Douneside House
Douneside House
#1 of 2 in Aboyne

Been to Thainstone House? Share your experiences!