“Not the Thai food I'm used to even here”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sabai

Sabai
Ranked #12 of 62 Restaurants in Inverurie
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Not the Thai food I'm used to even here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Worked in Thailand and visit regularly and there is just something about the food here that isn't what I'd call typical Thai. Crispy Aromatic Duck - perhaps explains things a bit.

In general the food is fine although perhaps a bit too expensive. Frankly, ridiculously expensive.

My overall moan is the service though. The Service is chronic.
Strangely the interior of this place is similar to the old Indian in Westhill (even has same water features on the walls) which was always empty when I was there and closed down.
The Service was terrible there too but food was fine.

2 Thank Bil1965

Insch, United Kingdom
“Love it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We've been multiple times to Sabai as a family, and with friends. Every time its been very good. Kids love the satay and the staff are very friendly. Foods is amazing just wish there were good desserts on the menu

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Sat night meal with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

We enjoyed a lovely meal with friends on Sat night, There were six of us, and we really enjoyed the ambience of the restaurant. The food was very good and beautifully presented. We can certainly recommend.

Ellon, United Kingdom
“"One of the worst Thai meals I have ever had"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Just had a takeaway from Sabai in Inverurie for £48 (3 starters, 2 mains, 2 sticky rice). The food has nothing to do with authentic Thai food - completely unbalanced (too sweet); no authentic ingredients apart from tiny bits of lemon grass in Tom Yum Goong which was not even clear; tiny portions; substandard quality meat; som tam (or green papaya salad) was on the verge of being off, too sweet and lacking essential ingredients, e.g. dry shrimps. Overall, ghastly experience...

To sum it up, if you consider yourself a lover of Thai food, do not go there and you will not be disappointed.

3 Thank onlyme397
Scotland
“Genuine Thai food - I think not !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had dinner at Sabai, Inverurie on Valentines Day 2014 based on the recommendation of a colleague, first sitting (to vacate by 8pm). The timing didn't bother us as we were only interested in enjoying a nice Thai meal.

Firstly I would say that we have been travelling in Thailand for the last 25 years on a bi-annual basis and have stayed in Bangkok, Chaing Mai, Phuket and haev a property in Koh Samui. I also cook Thai food, so I think I can fairly judge the Thai cuisine.

On arrival we were seated by a non-welcoming Chinese waiter. The Thai waitress (the only Thai we met) welcomed us at our table and took our drink order. We spoke to her in Thai which she was delighted to hear and we ordered 2 Mai Thai cocktails. She came back 2 minutes later and apologised and said the waiter that makes the cocktails was not available that evening. We were surprised and disappointed as we thought cocktails would be popular on Valentines night so we ordered a Singa Beer and Gin & Tonic instead. 5 minutes later 2 cocktails appeared at the table so we had to cancel the beer and G&T.

Then a gruff older male waiter (Chinese) handed us the menu and I was truly shocked. 99% of the meals were Chinese dishes and numbered like a Chinese Takeaway menu. There were far too many choices for a quality restaurant, pages and pages. I was struggling to find anything Thai that I liked. I ordered in Thai and the waiter just asked "what number is it?, Show me Number". No smile. Nothing. I ordered the squid with dipping sauce and Chicken and Holy Basil with sticky rice. The squid was like typical Chinese squid and the dipping sauce was the highlight. The Chicken with Holy Basil tasted nothing like any chicken I've ever eaten (typical Chinese rubbery non-descript chicken) and was swimming in what I can only guess was an Oyster Sauce. No Holy Basil at all on the plate - not one piece and it looked and tasted just like a Chinese takeaway. My husband had the Tom Yum Goong soup which had 2 tiny cheap shrimps and not very spicy. He was so disappointed in his pineapple rice dish that he left it after tasting 2 mouthfuls.

Service was painfully slow throughout and an hour between starter and main courses. We very nearly left 45 minutes after the starter when the main course stilll hadn't arrived.

We were so hacked off that we didn't even ask for the sweet menu, called the bill and left with no tip. The bill came to £75 and we left no tip. Our departure was greeted in the same cold way as our arrival (certainly not from the Land of Smiles then .... )

We will definately not go back nor would we recommend it you want a genuine Thai meal.

• Visited February 2014