“Needs a lot of work on basics!”
Review of Banks of Ury Hotel

Banks of Ury Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Inverurie B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Generally, just about ok. But basics are failing. Quite badly.

Hot water tap loose. (So you struggle to turn off!)

Limescale covered shower head. (Water squirts out of the shower as water is going all over the place!)

Black mould covering shower hose (connecting mixer to shower head)

No hand wash, there was a hand wash bottle, but it was empty.

Otherwise, the room was juat about ok in presentation. Floors could be cleaner, lots of white "bits" all over floor. Just needs a good vacuuming!

BE WARNED;

The walls are super thin. I managed to hear practically every word of a conversation next door. (And the person on the phone who, i hope, was on speakerphone as was clearly audible!)

My worry; if I can hear them, they could hear my conversations! Not great for any privacy!

I couldn't get to sleep until the guests next door fell asleep and boy they can talk. Mostly about rubbish too. It was very annoying.

Obviously just a cheap plasterboard divider has been out up!

There was no evening food/eating options available at all. But a few options locally if you need fed.

I decided to skip the breakfast that i had paid for as I had no appetite to try eating here as I feared if they are cutting corners in the things you CAN see... What corners are getting cut on the things you CAN'T see... No thank you.

Will I be back? No. Sorry. I just won't.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Shab2050

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The rooms are very clean and tidy. I stayed in 202 and had a great view of the town. I've stayed here on buisness and pleasure. The locals really are great in the bar area even though I'm English I was still made to feel very welcome and the banter was great. The beer is fantastic (stay away from the black jack vodka) lethal. This really is the friendliest hotel/bar in town. I will be staying here again when I am in the area.

Room Tip: 202 a good view of the town
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Welcoming owners and beers at a reasonable price. Bedroom suited my needs perfecty and it had been recently decorated by the looks of it and very clean! Room 102. Could hear people in the bar as this room was above the bar but best just to pop down and join in. I would certainly use this hotel again. Some of the locals had a darts game where whoever got furthest from the bull they had to drink a double whisky. Entertaining.

Room Tip: I had room 102 and could hear the bar and early morning traffic but this did not disturb me.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KevinLaird
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just back from a weekend here. Hotel is very basic and its just a few rooms above a loud bar. Classed as a bed and breakfast and breakfast isn't even included unless you pay extra! Rooms are definitely not worth what they charge. Positives were the rooms had comfy beds, a nice enough bathroom and were quite clean and the location was good although unfortunately i won't be staying here again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ashley H
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed at the hotel as a last resort as all other hotels fully booked. Only positive was that the staff where friendly. Cost of room taken on arrival obviously to make sure customers dont refuse to pay and that they stay. The room was filthy and in desperate need for upgrading. Carpet stained, walls in room dirty and marked. I have travelled alot for business and I have never stayed anywhere so poor. The other reviews have obviously been left by the staff. Walls like paper so heard various noises all night. Tv small and did not work properly. I would not advise anyone to stay at this hotel. I would not ever leave a negative review however I would not want anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank S M
Reviewed February 14, 2012

stayed at the banks for about four months and Theresa and Mike made us all feel welcome. rooms were warm comfortable and spotlessly clean. The lady of the establishment cooked lovely and filling evening meals and catered to my weird tastes easily. Meat and tatties to die for and the bread and butter pudding was heavenly. Bar and locals were really friendly.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AndyH63
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for a number of months whilst working in Inverurie. The staff are very friendly along with nice and welcoming local customers. Staying in the banks made working away from home a lot more enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2011