What a great find. The warm welcome of Norman and Beth set the tone for our two day escape from the usual. Almost hidden at the end of Mill Lane and surrounded by the picturesque hills and valleys nearby, this quietly lovely Manor House with open log fires crackling here and there was the ideal base to explore Bath from - which is only a short drive away, or indeed an affordable taxi ride. The Manor House in Monkton Combe is quaint - it has a cultured atmosphere, not opulent nor too grand, not for celebs nor debs... It feels like a cultured Old English home with history and understated style which Norman and Beth are rightly proud of. The ongoing improvements are sympathetic and in balance with its’ heritage. Our room was very comfortable and clean, sporting a four poster bed and a new wet room - although we would have preferred an old claw foot bath if we’re honest - but the wet room was a lovely experience too. Great team work at breakfast - quickly produced - proper sausages, free range eggs, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes, warmed crusty bread...the whiff of fresh coffee mingled with the gently crackling log fire... a quietly mellow, relaxing and recharging feeling. Just what the doctor ordered!
We’d arrived late Friday afternoon - popped into The Wheelwright Arms for directions. What a good find too. The Manor House is a B&B, so a quick peek at the restaurant menu and we confirmed our booking for dinner straight away - just squeezed us in. Another good decision - original menu. Delicious. One of the outstanding things about our visit was the friendliness and helpfulness of people we come into contact with in Monkton Combe and in Bath itself...Maybe we were just lucky? Or maybe we have rediscovered a lovely nook and cranny of old fashioned Englishness? Other places we’d thoroughly recommended you visit as well in Bath; The Pump Room - for traditional afternoon tea ...and the Circus Cafe and Restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Restful, rambling Medieval Manor in country village 2.25miles/ 8 minutes drive from centre of Bath. Dating from 1262 with Tudor inglenook fire spacious ensuite bedrooms with TV, video, DVD, WIFI. Fantastic candlelit restaurant with excellent local reputation for fine food in 16th and 19th century dining rooms on Fridays, Saturdays. Bring Your Own Wine - No Corkage Charge! Rural walks along brook to local pubs, canal boat/bike hire 5 minutes wander. Parking, gardens. Heaven! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your The Manor House Monkton Combe Bath reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Manor House Monkton Combe Bath Hotel Monkton Combe
- The Manor House Monkton Combe Bath UK - England