“Lovely”

Wheelwrights Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monkton Combe
“Lovely”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Its just far enough away from central Bath to be peaceful, and quiet. It is situated pretty near to a tow path where there is a bicycle hire, and the ability to bike/run/walk for miles in each direction along the canal, one direction takes you 3 miles into Bath. Beautiful.

Without a car, as I was, you can also walk up Monkton Combe via a public walkway, and there catch a local bus or one of those sight seeing buses if you want a tour into Bath's center. You will need a cab from the train station. Its about a 12 minute drive.

Seriously, one of the most relaxing get aways for me.
The rooms are really well designed: clean, and simple. There is also a great beer garden where you can eat or drink amidst really beautiful country.

Staff was pretty friendly. Service was great.

There is a boarding school just next door, and I was there when school was out of session. Dont know if it would be a bit busier during the school year.

Definitely would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have WiFi, check before if thats something you need.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank cfr0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here in the middle of August and whilst we didn't experience the difficult management that other reviewers experienced, quite the opposite in fact, we did come away feeling that we had paid a lot of money for a room that was just ok. Firstly my girlfriend booked the room and a couple of days after had an odd phone call to ask if she had specified the room we wanted, she said she hadn't (in hindsight she wishes she hadn't said that) and after much umming and arring, the guy on the phone said that's fine and hung-up. When we got there we had what appeared a lovely big room although it was directly opposite the kitchen (as many rooms are) and the sound of the extractor fan was extremely loud, especially in the summer with the windows open. So we asked if we could move and we were told that was no problem, even though the fan doesn't go all night, although it went for quite some time. Our new room was comfortable, cheaper, though still quite pricey, but very small.

In terms of food, we had a very good meal. Not Michelin starred by any means but very good gastro pub food. Likewise with breakfast the following day, a very good spread and good portions on the cooked.

Overall, we probably wouldn’t go back, as I’m sure there are better valued places elsewhere than here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris S
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Wheelwright Arms in August and we were very impressed. I don't really understand the negative reviews, but that said, I've only seen the room we stayed in. Our room was a twin, and was a very good size. The bathroom was lovely, and also a good size. The room had teas/coffee/hot chocolate and was decorated very tastefully. They had Classic FM playing on the tv when we entered the room, and whilst this may not be to everyones taste, we found it very welcoming and relaxing!

The staff were all very friendly and accommodating.The food was very good, we had dinner and breakfast there, and on both occasions the waiter/waitress did whatever they could to make it an enjoyable experience. I agree that the actual pub area is quite small, but it adds to the charm of the place. I also agree £135/room is quite steep, I think £95 or so would be more in line. The outside area can be noisy, but this did stop very quickly after closing time and it is, afterall, a pub so this should be somewhat expected!!

I would definitely stay here again and my friend & I would both recommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mary73Surrey
Brough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

the only Michelin guide this place belongs in has tread and pressure ratings in it, bloody awful food, probably the only place in the UK still selling Cod as it's fish and chips, everything was bland, and good luck getting to the bar, the local stockbrokers (or wannabe rich people) are about as far up their own backsides as you can get.

it is, without doubt, the worst place I have eatne this year, and that includes Pizza Hut. Frankie and Bennies and the kebab shop in Swansea.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Standee1975
London UK
Reviewed April 14, 2011

If you are going then I would advise you take ear plugs as if you are in a downstairs room the noise from above is unbelievable.... Room was small with one tiny window with a shutter which made it seem very claustraphobic. Bathroom was huge and the best feature of the room. I thought the food, the wine list & the service were average and nothing special for the prices they are charging. We recently stayed in a place near Stratford on Avon where the rooms were sooo good (including huge bath rooms with walk in showers) and for £90 per night including breakfast as opposed to £135. On their breakfast menu they state 'complementary for residents' when in fact I think that should be 'included within room rate' as most places show. The combined bar / 'restaurant' area is quite small and doesn't really invite you to hang around for an after diner drink. Perhaps it is cosier if you stay in the winter if the fire is lit. Wouldn't go back again or recommend to others especially if you are seeking a romantic break.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbs102
Kingswinford
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My wife treated me to a post-Birthday weekend away to 'unwind' and the Wheelwrights was spot on - tucked away in a small village about 3 miles outside Bath. We had a BIG double room with a large bathroom - simply but tastefully furnished, lovely comfy bed and just a few yards stagger across from the Inn itself. The owner and staff were very welcoming and the food, drinks and service were all pretty faultless. We've stayed in quite a few 'gastro-pubs' and 'The Wheelies' rates amongst the best. Highly recommended for foodies and just a short taxi or bus ride into town to explore the delights of Bath. It ain't cheap but it's worth it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rob_log
London
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I stayed here while on business and needed somewhere to stay in the Bristol/Bath area. It's a short distance from Bath and well worth the extra drive if you are working in Bristol. Found the staff very friendly and helpful. Three-course dinner washed down with Butcome ale easily helped me pass a night without my partner. Locals very friendly if you want to sit in the bar. Room was great, very big and great bathroom. Breakfast excellent the following morning. Will re-visit if in the area again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
The Ayrlington
The Ayrlington
#9 of 35 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,079 reviews

Been to Wheelwrights Arms? Share your experiences!