“Fantastic food & great for a wedding reception”

Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn
Ranked #10 of 30 Bridgnorth B&B and Inns
West Midlands
“Fantastic food & great for a wedding reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had our wedding reception here in August 2010 and had a wonderful day. Charlotte and the team went out of their way to make sure that everything went smoothly. The food was amazing, both for the sit down meal and the buffet on the evening. Many guests commented on how it was the best and most plentiful buffet they'd ever had.
Before the wedding, we visited The Punchbowl for many Sunday lunches, with various family and friends & always had a lovely meal, the carvery is excellent. We also stayed over in the suite attached to the pub, which was really great. We are hoping to have a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary this year and try the midweek menu.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank njen19
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thanks for a great review we are delighted that your wedding was a great success with us and thank you for taking the time to submit a positive review, as with all weddings we host we take great pride in the planning, food and sevrice to ensure the day is a great success!

Once again thanks for a great review and we hope to see you again in the future :)

Adam Giles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited the punchbowl for Sunday lunch with family, my husband had booked the table 2 weeks in advance when we arrived a young man told us we had the table until 3.30 and that it was the table in the middle in the next room. We went to look for the table ourselves and assumed it was the correct one my husband was disappointed that we were now on a 2 hour schedule as he had not been informed this when we booked and he doesn't often have chance to meet up with his family. Carvery was adequate although i have had better, service was ok and my husband was happy with selection of beer

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank E A
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit that was on a Sunday. Having read the contents I would like to address some of your comments.

Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that we did not meet your expectations, however this would have been easily addressed if you asked for more time at your table, as we are a busy inn we do operate set sittings and two hour relays, in circumstances where as the customer would like more time we would either adjust our table plan to suit or allocate you in our Function Room with as much time as you like, all you had to do was ask us?

In terms of our carvery we accept some people prefer other carveries, our carvery is enjoyed by hundreds of people every Sunday so this is down to personal preference, giving how busy we are we must be doing something right.

It was nice to read our service was satisfactory and the selection of beers/ales on our bar met your requirements.

If I am honest your review is quite petty but nevertheless if you have the confidence the use our establishment again please don't hesitate to ask for more time and speak to a manager who would more than happy to address any shortfalls so you enjoy your dining experience.

Proprietor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Amazing food and service. After a recommendation by friends we decided to visit, the carvery was wonderful (plenty of meat) and fresh veg. We have also never had anything as lovely as the garlic potatoes! We have since recommended the carvery to practically everyone and visited a numerous amount of times, it has never been anything but exceptional. There is also a lovely man (very sorry cannot remember his name, foreign)? Who deserves an award for his customer service and politeness.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex H
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor member,

Thanks for a great review it is reassuring to know that you enjoy our food and service I will of course pass on your kind comments to Tomasz (our head carver) we do our very best to please all customers and focus our the best service we can offer.

We hope to see you again and once again thank you for taking the time to write a nice review

Kind Regards

Adam and the team
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and ate two nights in the restaurant. Although the weather was foul we had a really enjoyable restful break. Accommodation was very good including little extras such as soft drinks in the room. Food was excellent both breakfast and dinners including carvery.staff were very attentive, friendly and welcoming. Thank you Adam and Charlotte we would definitely recommend and will be back again. Steve and Angela

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Angela,

Thank you for your great review I must admit I didn't think you were going to make it given the bad snow and road conditions getting here.

We throughly enjoyed your company and it was a pleasure having you stay with us.

Once again thanks for a great review we hope to see you again in the near future when visiting Bridgnorth area

Adam & the team x
West Midlands, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We visited punchbowl a couple of months ago for the first time on a sat lunchtime n guests had carvery n food off menu....excellant food n great friendly service!! So we suggested a nite out with friends on a fri pm. 3 courses £11.95 but all we really wanted was the wonderful carvery, so anything extra was a bonus but not too big a deal...which was just as well!!! The starters sound amazing n unusual, but they were such a let down...i had chicken yuk sung, others the pigeon n pate. There must have been 2 teaspoons of chicken mince a few salad leaves n tiny crispy noodles, plus it was bone dry. It was billed as gem leaves soy sauce etc, n i expected to do the usual rolling up in the little gem leaves. Now i know the starter wouldnt be big, no probs, but it was tiny bone dry n i had no idea how to eat it...tasteless. my husband found the waiter who just called
out that there was already soy sauce on..that was it!! He then disappeared, appearin only once more to clear our main carvery plates n to serve our desserts...Noone asked if our food was ok, he
didnt offer to get me any more sauce to make it more edible, nothing!! Apart from the meat, some
of the carvery felt like it was old, the potatoes feeling tough n hard. The usual carvery veg, giving a
wide variety of more unusual was replaced by the usual peas carrots cabbage n ratatouille. Having
been to the plough its sister pub many times over the years and then visitng the punchbowl a
matter of months ago, id had no probs recommending it...unfortunately, on many counts we were
disappointed. Dont get me wrong, its not that we expected too much for our money, it was more
that it seemed the menu made it out to be much more than it was, and the carvery was far from
what id been used to...maybe because it was just friday nite..oh yes and 2 of the desserts were
cold n 2 hot...but we couldnt see anybody to tell them so ate them anyway. Oh, and it wasnt busy
either...3 or 4 other tables in use when we were there, and only 2 towards the end, so it wasnt as if
they were mega busy.we paid up, making no comments because it didnt seem worth it, as it seemed noone cared anyway!! Bitterly disappointed n surprised!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Crewy
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

What a disappointing review, I will in advance apologises on my negative response but there are quite a few shortfalls with your review.

Price you quoted was incorrect on our 3 course deal at the time you dined

I quite simply don't believe that you were not table checked

Products you mentioned served on our carvery were not served??

You mentioned it was quiet on weekend you dined with us. The restaurant is generally packed weekends I could believe this statement on a Monday night or midweek after a bank holiday weekend!

How are we suppose to rectify our shortfalls without letting us know?? I admit we all make mistakes but given the contents and the inaccurate statements I don't believe you dined with us or perhaps you have posted this review on the wrong venue? or maybe you are another local competitor! Who know's but there is one thing that is for sure... our goal is for all our customers to leave our premises content wanting to return and we do care about our customer service.

I'm sure based on the merits of other reviews that the positive out weighs negative reviews and if anyone's bitterly disappointed it is us as well with your subjective review!

Yours Faithfully

Adam & Charlotte
Wolverhampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Ate at Punch Bowl today and we were bowled over by the standard of cleanliness, beautiful decor and high standard of food. However the attitude of the staff (excluding the young man on the carvery who my 84 year old mother fell madly in love with...he was so polite and friendly) left much to be desired. Welcoming certainly not a word we would use.

It was a freezing cold day and we were unaware that the pub/restaurant didn't open until bang on 12pm and as we had an 84 year old lady in our party tried to go in at 11.35 for a pre lunch drink. We were met with hostility being informed in no uncertain terms that we were half an hour early and told to please shut the door as it was cold outside and we were letting out the heat.

We were then left to our own devices as there is no bar area as such so we stood around the lovely real fire and watched obviously highly stressed members of staff running around paying no heed to us at all.There was nowhere to sit and enjoy a drink....no bar area as such

When requesting a coffee along with our order of cold drinks (at 11.55) we were then told that the coffee machine hadn't warmed up although when the coffee arrived 30 mins later it was fabulous

We were told with a flick of the hand where our table was and left to seat ourselves but not told where the carvery was or at which point we could use it

Whilst waiting to eat another elderly couple came in the door asking to eat and were told in no uncertain terms that there were no tables as they were fully booked....no smiles, no apologies...nothing. This couple were then dismissed and heard to be complaining about the staff's attitude as they left.

When we requested a dessert menu we were informed that it was chocolate waffles or apple pie....with a 'take it or leave it' attitude...and once again no smile, no explanation, nothing!!!In fact the guy who served us was half way to the kitchen with our plates before we had actually digested his response

All in all the food was superb,the surroundings lovely and the coffees out of this world .....but we had the distinct impression that the young totally male staff simply didn't want to know or in fact even be there.....the place was very busy and perhaps they are understaffed or underpaid.....who knows but hey....that's not our fault....so come on Punch Bowl either reward your staff well or send them on a service course before we venture there again in fear and trembling of upsetting any of them simply by being there

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Trish S
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Trip advisor member

Thank you for your review, having read the contentts of your review I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your comments,

As the proprietor it was I that opened the front door your your party AT 11.25am and you sat near the bar area whilst we were getting ready for service as I had just topped the fire up when I noticed you were near the front door, so your comments waiting 1/2hr are actually incorrect and untrue. (We do open at 12noon and staff start to arrive at 11.30am)

I must admit I did over hear the waiter (John) ask you to close the door behind you as it was windy and cold and bursts of cold air cause the open fire to smoke, his response was not to to offend as he could not get to the door whilst standing in the entrance, but I did personally flag his comment to him as I would have personally closed it if I was closer to the door but I was engaged in conversation

Coffees were requested on your arrival and I am really pleased that you enjoyed the coffees after the long wait, the machine does take 20minutes/30minutes to heat and was turned on at 11.30am given 1/2hr to heat when we officially open at 12noon

It is positive to read you enjoyed the food, decor and atmopshere and this review will be shared with all the front of house team to reflect to your observations in particular John, as a small business with a high staff retention I would like to think that I look after my staff and pay them well, it is clear that you took a disliking to one member of staff that served you but it is also fair to say that some of your comments are exaggerated and I will personally apologise on the level of service you received by a particular member of staff, I do get the impression you were expecting immediate service on your arrival and given the fact we were not ready for service you had to wait and you were not impressed waiting, again I can only apologise but if we knew you wanted to arrive early we would have made provisions to be ready earlier.

I hope you have the confidence to dine with us again and if you would like to speak to me personally please dont hesitate to contact 01746 763304

Assuring you of my best attention at all times

Proprietor
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I have been to the Punchbowl several times for food and it never failed to impress but decided recently to combine it with a stay in the accommodation. We stayed in room 3, very quirky little suite with a lovely living area and well presented bedroom. Lovely decor and the small finishing touches made the punchbowl accommodation stand out from a normal hotel chain, such as the heaters had been put on ready for our arrival, complimentary soft drinks in the mini bar and lovely range if toiletries in the bathroom. The breakfast the following day was gorgeous and excellent for those with a healthy appetite. I will definitely be recommending to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2013
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Trip advisor member,

Thanks for a great review we are delighted that youe enjoyed your stay with us and frequent our restaurant, we shall pass on your kind comments to the kitchen team as well.

We hope to see you again in the near future

Adam & Charlotte