“Nice cakes, shame about the service”

Wellies Cafe at Greenlands Farm Village
Ranked #26 of 48 Restaurants in Carnforth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We went to this cafe yesterday and I have to agree with other reviewers who say that the service is poor and I would urge whoever is in charge of this establishment to address this and recognise there is a training need in order to protect your business. We were served by a dark haired girl who was extremely unfriendly and looked like she couldn't be bothered to deal with us. We only ate cake and coffee and what we had was very nice...the cakes are all home made and look delicious. It was just a pity that the staff could not have been more pleasant as it would certainly make for a better experience

1  Thank Southsidarnley

Reviewed March 20, 2014

The milk shakes served in the welly shaped glasses. Letting me take a dish home with food on and trusting me to bring it back. Liked being able to get a £4.99 bottle of wine from shop across the yard and drinking it with the meal. Dedicated toilet for disabled, (me) rather than having to share with nappy changing facilities which is horrid, especially when you are going to eat... If coming from the motorway, go past what looks like the main entrance and the car park is on the left.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My family and I visited after seeing the flyer in the play barn offering 2soups and 2sandwiches for £10, an offer too good to miss. We ordered the offer only to be told it was not available during school holidays, we spoke to the manager and explained that there was no notice suggesting the offer would not be valid. He shrugged his shoulders and stated it was a promotion. With three hungry children we didn't have the option to go elsewhere so we made the best of it and ordered four bowls of the soup of the day. The soup arrived and we were informed they had run out and needed to switch the soup for the second two bowls, why were we not informed when we ordered. To add insult to injury the second bowl was only half full when I asked why I was told they had run out and from the manner of the waitress I should be grateful to pay full price for half a bowl. I could go on but put simply if the staff don't want to provide the service customers are paying for they should find alternative employment. I would not recommend this cafe to anyone.

5  Thank 526Rich
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was really pleased when Wellies first opened as it is somewhere local to have nice coffee and good food. I noted some of the earlier reviews on here commented on how the staff look miserable at times. I think I know why!

All the staff look worn out. I am a regular and see they are never off their feet and doing too many different things at the same time when they are busy. I over heard one member of staff say to another we don't get a lunch break when we are too busy.

I have visited many times and on a couple of occasions I have been unable to stay as the place was a complete mess and no tables cleared. the debris of previous customers still strewn over the table and floor.

It seems to me that the lovely business is being run by overworked staff without the entitled benefits. It would be good to have more cover at the busiest times so as to ensure a well run cafe.

3  Thank Gillian K
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We met up with our 11 and 6 year old grandaughters and their parents for a new year treat today, and had a great time. We'd booked a table, and this was set out for us upstairs, in a lovely, spacious area. There was a good choice of food for all of us: the youngest loved her leek and potato soup, whilst her older sister tucked into the sizeable pizza; the adults all chose different dishes: my jacket potato with roasted veg, pesto and cheese was very tasty and filling, and my husband really enjoyed his rarebit, which was again a generous portion. The cheese burger, with additional Blacksticks Blue cheese and fish'n'chips were enjoyed by our son and daughter-in law. The children's ice-creams were generous and tasty, and their huge glass wellies full of milk shakes went down a treat. The cafe is licensed so the non-drivers enjoyed a wine and a beer, and then we enjoyed cakes with our coffees/teas. The staff were pleasant and helpful, and we all had a very enjoyable time. We were also impressed at the value for money - the bill was far less than in most cafes or pubs.