“A good old English pub”

The New Inn
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I recently ate at The New Inn and couldn't have been happier. I had the fish and chips, the fish was enormous with beautiful light batter and the chips were chunky and homemade, not the usual frozen rubbish. My wife had the fish platter off the specials board which was again a good size portion, all cooked and presented beautifully. The service was also very good, friendly and prompt. The bar area is a cosy room with log fire burning brightly. There was a range of hand pumped ales of which I tried a couple! There is plenty of parking at the rear of the pub too. I really would recommend this little gem, a warm welcome,good food,good portion - we will definitely be back!!

There are newer reviews for The New Inn

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have eaten at the New Inn at Yealand quite a few times and always found it very good. We have not been there for some months and went tonight fro a treat. It was very sad to find that the previously very good standard had dropped so much. We first started going about 18 months ago when the new management had not been in very long. We recommended it to friends and took a party of fourteen from a nearby village for a Christmas lunch in 2011 which was well enjoyed.

Tonight we found the standard so disappointing. The cheese and onion pie had been bulked out with potato and very little onion and the accompanying chips (which had always been very good) were probably reheated pan fried potatoes. The Lamb Henry was extremely dry, tough, sinuous and was pretty poor quality lamb shoulder meat. The vegetables with the lamb were generally good apart form sloppy mash potato and a mixture of carrot which was well presented and others which were nearly raw!

When we complained constructively at the end of the meal we were told that there are now two chefs who cover different nights of the week. I hope that the original chef stills covers some days of the week - we could not fault his work in the past. Perhaps these days it would be as well to avoid Wednesday evenings and other nights when the standby chef is working. What a shame that the standards have dropped. To add insult to injury, despite making our observations and outlining our past history with eating at The New Inn, there was no offer of any form of compensation for our very disappointing meal. Eaters beware from now on.

1  Thank Norman S
denise r, Owner at The New Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Thank you very much for joining trip advisor just to let everybody know about your appalling meal. in your review you said about previous good meals but also noticed you did not join trip advisor to spread the word about that. We are just disappointed you did not speak to us about your experience as we have stood and chatted many times on your previous visits. I would have personally made sure it was put right for you, Also thank you for going to such lengths to try and destroy our business after one bad experience ,Much appreciated

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at Pine Lake, Carnforth and, after spending the day at the South Lakes Wildlife Park (which is also excellent) we wanted some good pub food for tea. After finding this place on the internet we thought we'd try it out. The food was great (good sized portions), the Guinness was great and the service was great! We will definitely be visiting again on our next visit to Carnforth!

2  Thank Geek_Squad15
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was a lovely pub, open log fire and beamed ceiling, a real old school pub. We went for food which was the best meal me had in our long weekend in Carnforth/ lancaster. The food was not cheap but this was not pub grub, it was very very good!!! The portions were huge and we were all so stuffed but 2 of us actually sat around until we had enough room for dessert which again was fabulous!!! 4 of us ate and had a range of food from the cheese and onion pie which is the best pie ive ever had , 2 had lamb henry (whish was huge, despite 1 man trying to con extra from the chef saying it was too small ) and 1 chicken in pepper corn sauce, all came with veg and there was definately plenty!!
This is obviously a family run pub and everyone was really friendly and having a laugh with us.
Id love to come back here in the summer and am sure if we are ever in the area we will return!!
Thanks guys!!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Four of us had Sunday lunch here on 16 December 2012 and I cannot remember being so well looked after by any other eatery in this area. We have been previously, but not since the present owners took over and I was very impressed by every aspect of my visit.
The pub itself is split into two halves, a traditional bar area with a real fire, and a separate dining room. You can eat in either half of the pub but on this occasion we chose the dining room which was cosy and welcoming. All areas of the pub are immaculately clean and it has a 5 star food hygiene rating.
The food is excellent, you won't leave hungry and you get decent pub sized portions. I chose from the christmas dinner menu which is great value at just over £17.00 for 3 courses and there are many choices of starters, mains and puddings. There is also a good range of beers at the bar and I opted for the Robinson's Tom and Berry which is gorgeous.
I cannot recommend this pub enough and I will be back again soon.

1  Thank BertieBee1882