“Friends weekend break”
Review of Tewitfield Marina

Tewitfield Marina
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Don't often get time to write a review but as a group of six and having had such a fabulous weekend break wanted to show our appreciation of the site and the staff. Being a group of friends living in different areas in the North West this was central for us to meet up. The directions and attention to detail on location and how to access the property ment we all arrived with ease. The key safe system was so handy not having to waste precious time going to reception to collect keys etc etc. There were leaflets available for things to do in the area and a really useful housebook providing information about local attractions and numbers in case of emergency. There was a 24 hour service available albeit as everything was great we did not need to use it. All to often we have been on holiday and find things are not provided and you cant get in touch with anyone! We had phoned the office before our arrival and spoke to Shirley to check that towels and hairdryer etc were provided and the service was excellent.

We stayed in a 3 bed property which was very clean and comfortable. It is a real home from home experience and as the properties are open plan we were able to socialise at all times. There is a good pub on site with a varied menu for restaurant and pub grub. One of our guests is a keen fisherman so we all had fun taking part in the marina outside and on the canal. Before arrival we had reservations of the M6 being close, but when you are in the property you cannot hear any noise from either the motorway or other guests on site. It was all very peaceful.

We will definately return again in the summer to do some more of the local walks as the site is surrounded by countryside and on the doorstep to the lake district.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 10, 2013

These apartments are just off the motorway and so are a great place to host a reunion or such event. We rented 3 of the houses for a total of 7 bedrooms. It is within an easy walk of the Longlands Inn and a short drive to the Lake District, Morecambe etc. the houses were very clean and well furnished, exceeded expectations to be honest. The price was very reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2013

if your planning to tour the Lake District this place makes an ideal location just on the edge.Apartments very clean and well looked after and all modern conveniences.Will definitely use again highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Simonspark
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We spent one night here on 26th January - travelling by car from Yorkshire the location was very easy to find - if a little too close to the motorway!

The 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom house had everything you could want for in a self-catering break; it was spacious and clean with fairly new (or very well looked-after) furniture, crockery etc. and a fully functioning and very well equipped (and large for a holiday let) kitchen. Good dining area for upto 6 people and enough lounge space to sit comfortably. A lovely addition was the board games provided, which our 9 year old was very happy with!

We didn't hear any noise from neighbouring properties.

The outside seating area onto the marina would have been lovely in the summer and the welcoming ducks were fun to watch on the iced up water.

No real negatives (although it was very cold when we arrived as no heating had been turned on by the timer), no real wow factor either. I would recommend the accommodation to anyone looking for a self-catering break with lots of space and easy to find location.

Room Tip: 9 Swan House was good
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ChatelaineLondon
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have stayed here about four to five times in the last year and a half and have Neva disappointed me, apart from the wifi dusnt seem to Ever work where we stay! Have been meaning to keep writin on here n kept forgetting. Me and my partner always enjoy stayin here, that's why we keep staying over. Never had any problems, if want to av ur own space, your own freedom etc then I recommend u stay here! Love it. We are about to come stay over again at beginning of February 2013 :) really looking forward to it and this time goin for a bigger apartment :) xx

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

There were lots of problems with this property and its layout was far from ideal with lots of space in the bedrooms, dining area and kitchen but very little in the living area which we used a lot during our stay as the weather was not at all good and there was nowhere indoors to visit over the Christmas period.

It stank when we went in, a strong doggy like smell, but there was no signs of any dogs being there so it may have been unused for a time. Take something like febreze, we used a lot of my perfume. It may have been the oiled oak furniture.

There was no personal service, certainly over Christmas with only an out of hours phone for most of our stay. I have done oncall and did not want to call someone on Christmas Eve afternoon but with hindsight I should have contacted them about the smell as it was unpleasant the whole stay. It is a hands off operation but it was set up so that you picked up the key from a key safe by the door, which meant if you were delayed or late there would be no problems getting your key.

We left an A4 sheet of feedback on the issues we’d had and no one got in touch with us about it. I’ve left it until now to do the review to give them time to do so. I addition they emailed me an offer before we went for 30% off the current price for the period we had already booked. This was already £20 less per night, for the period we were away which I was unhappy about. I had only booked 8 weeks before so I responded to them to say I felt they should be more careful with there marketing emails, and I had no response at all not even a basic acknowledgement. It was very expensive for the period we were away and for the money I would have expected much better service.

It is also extremely close to the M6, it is just the other side of the canal. It is very noisy. We could hear it overnight on Christmas Eve in the living area and the double bedroom which would have been a quiet time for it. Take ear plugs for night time. It would be worse in the summer when hot as we had the windows shut and did not sit out on the balcony as it was too cold.

The farm shop over the road was nice as was the café, but as it was Christmas both were shut for 2 days of our stay, but if you stay outside this time they will be very useful.

There was plenty of parking when we went. The outside lights by the entrance door on the house and on the road in front did not work so it was difficult to use the key safe, luckily I had a torch.

There was a small hallway, but no coat hooks and a downstairs loo. The dining area was big, with a large extendable table.

Very good sized kitchen area but it was not well equipped for serious cooking. We were there over Christmas, so did not eat out a lot as the pub was booked up for Christmas and Boxing Day events. I would say it was really for reheating and serving. The few ovenproof dishes were very big and the only jug other than a small milk jug was a plastic 3.5 pint one. I had to dash to Tescos before it shut on Christmas Eve to get a pyrex jug for gravy. If you want to make small dishes, take something with you like foil trays.

Dishwasher was great but we had to run it a lot to have enough crockery and cutlery so you will need extra dishwasher tablets or wash up by hand.

Living room area is very small, just fitted in a sofa, chair, coffee table and TV table with little room to spare. The furniture was worn and uncomfortable and I would say only seating for 3 as the sofa was joined in the middle by zips and moved slightly when sat on, a fourth person would have to sit on the zipped bit. We were glad we had gone for a property which slept 4 even though there were only 2 of us. I would recommend going up a level for living space.

The arm chair smelt and the zip holding on one of the arm cushions was broken and it slipped down all the time making it uncomfortable, it sagged as well.

The blinds were careworn from heavy use and needed sorting out. I had to go over and pull along one side of the vertical blind to close it.

The DVD player in living area would not take half of our DVDs, they played OK at home when we checked them. Take some extras.

The two bedrooms were very roomy and each had a TV, one with a DVD player which would be useful if you were stuck in due to weather with kids. One had an ensuite and the other had close access to the bathroom.

Soap and shampoo was available in each bathroom which was good.

The double bedroom faced the marina and was very light at night even in December due to safety lighting shining through the blinds from the marina outside. They need to be blackout blinds. Take an eye mask if this is likely to be a problem for you. I ended sleeping one night in the twin bedroom as it had wooden horizontal blinds and was both darker and not facing the M6 so quieter.

There was no socket by the dressing table for a hairdryer as the nearest was inaccessible behind the wardrobe, so I had to use a socket by the bed, fortunately I had taken a travel mirror. The mirror on dressing table pointed to the floor, so I wedged it up with a clean sock.

It says all linen and towels are included but there were no hand towels in the kitchen or the downstairs loo. There were enough towels for four people to each have a big towel and a hand towel.

Nicely located for the lower lakes and Morecambe Bay which would be the only reason I would go to stay there again.

The canal towpath is easily accessed by the pub and you can walk up to the Tewitfield locks and beyond to where the canal is bisected by the M6. It makes you wonder what the planners were thinking when they allowed it. If you wish to walk further there is a bridge over the M6. So there is loads of good level walking.

I would recommend taking a torch, foil trays, febreze, ear plugs, eye mask, dish washer tablets and some small towels for the kitchen and downstairs loo.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KasayLancs
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very nice set up, spotless clean and all the facilities that you require for a self catering stay there is good storage space in the rooms for a longer stay with large fridge, cooker & washing machine etc. I had a 1 bedroom for 4 nights and I had a balcony overlooking the marina it was a bit cold when I was there but in the summer this would be great at night.
You can see it is a fairly new build and everything in the accommodation is in good condition, ideal for a relaxing break or if you want to explore the surrounding area.
There is a hotel close by with a restaurant and bar with a good atmosphere. Tewitfield is a bit out of the way and you wouldn’t walk to many places as there is not much close by, a farm shop across the way but that is about it.

Would certainly recommend it but it can be expensive in the high seasons.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FrancisUddingston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnforth
The Longlands Inn & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Ireby
Capernwray House
Capernwray House
#1 of 1 in Capernwray

Been to Tewitfield Marina? Share your experiences!