“lovely day out with the children, all weather, good value”

Windmill Animal Farm
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Burscough
Southport, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“lovely day out with the children, all weather, good value”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a great day out here this month. There is a great play area, which must have been refurbished since previous reviews. My boys played for ages and didn't want to see the animals. Finally we got them to move on and we went on the train (1.50 each). We got a good view of the farm and where we might want to walk round to see all if the animals. The stop is really just to turn the train round. A small slide and benches to fill 5 minutes. I think they could make more of this by allowing you to do single/return trips, stay for picnics, have a better play area, open a cafe.
My children loved the indoor play area and spent some time in there. We had a basic lunch in the cafe. Over priced and could be nicer, but as expected. Why would I want a napkin in the bottom of a bowl of cheesy chips, stuck to everything and ruining half the food? We also waited ages. You could take a picnic.
There is a barn with animals to pet and feed. Really cute goat kids and a calf when we visited. There are also outdoor pens with interesting animals to see like Highland Cattle, alpacas and lamaas.
My boys enjoyed playing on diggers in sand and pedalling tractors. We spent 4 hours, but could have done more. For 20 pound it's a great place to go in all weather.
The toilets were very clean, we made quite a few visits! Look out for the switch labelled "bottom drier" it intrigued me, I could only see hand drivers and felt I missed out....

Visited April 2013

Accrington, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Improvements could be made.”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Spent £20 on a family ticket for myself, partner and 2 grandchildren aged 4 and 7. We thought the train ride was included but cost another £1.50 each. Together with an extortionate £5.50 for 2 hot chocolates it wasn't a cheap afternoon. Animals were lovely and the children enjoyed feeding them and bottle feeding the lambs. Unfortunately a "sick" sheep had to be removed by trailer but the children were told it had sun stroke and it was dealt with very well. The play areas were ok but a lot of the tractors, which the children loved, were broken. We probably won't visit again.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank lancslass-2008
Warrington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very overpriced and not enough to do”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went with my partner and 2 year old daughter, cost £17.50 for us all to get in and we were all done in 30 minutes! There is an inside play barn which has seen better days, a reasonable outside play area, but limited equipment and a really small area for animals. No-one around to do talks or any interactive stuff with the animals you just walk through and feed them. The train you have to pay extra for which I thought was wrong given the entry price. Toilets and baby change really cold and dirty too. Spent most of our time in the play barn which could have got better for cheaper elsewhere. Needs investment in time and money to make it a better attraction for the price. Would not go again

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Alison M
preston
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Took my two year old daughter as we had already been to Farmer Teds and thought we would try here seem as it's nearer. We were really disappointed, it only took us 10 minutes to walk round and to pay £6 per adult and over 2 £5.50 was a rip off! The only bit that my daughter enjoyed was the play area outside and the play area inside. I could of taken her to a play centre and paid less and got a meal included! I don't expect it to be free paying for upkeep of animals etc but charges way too high! Farmer Teds in my opinion offered a lot more!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank belsy75
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great value”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent value and lovely for young kids. The train rides are novel idea and was more interactive with animals than some of the larger farm days out

Visited July 2012