“Great food and lovely beer garden”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Red Lion

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Red Lion
Ranked #12 of 22 Restaurants in Burscough
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
north west england
“Great food and lovely beer garden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Had a great meal and sat in the sun in the garden with a cold beer perfect !! the kids loved the play area too.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank debshols

Burscough
“Shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Been a couple of times now and had to wait a long time for the mediocre food to come out. Waited so long the kids got really really fed up.

Visited July 2011
Ormskirk, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fab food and price - pity about the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

We visited on Christmas day. The food was absolutely delicious, piping hot and there was plenty of it. The only shame was the extremely slow service, there only seemed to be one very busy waitress and then a bit later a very pregnant lady was also rushing around. We sat for about half an hour with dirty plates in front of us in between each course.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Barbara B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Disappointed...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

We actually went for the first time shortly after they opened with all the in laws-8 of us I think. The menu was great, with lots of pub classics to choose from. We had plenty of time to choose though as the service was very slow. In fact, we had to go up to the bar for our drinks at some points. The starters were delicious-I had a homemade pate-and everyone enjoyed every mouthful. We then had a painful wait to have the plates cleared and an even longer wait for the main courses. We eat out a lot in the local area so we have come to expect a certain standard I guess. Basically, the food was really really good but the service wasn't up to scratch so we felt bad as my husband and I had decided to take them all there for tea!

A few months later we noticed they'd changed a few of their signs to JR's Grill. We thought it may be worth giving them one more shot as it could've been teething problems on opening that caused the issues. The car park was always full at the weekends when they had bouncy castles on so it must be good...? The 'traditional pub food' sign was still up so we thought, worst case, the food will still be great if the Grill menu doesn't take our fancy. It was a Monday night so it would be understandable to be quiet (though our usual Monday choice is always packed due to the great 241 offer!). There was only one other couple seated as we entered and no one else came during the entire meal. Most of the decor was the same (paint etc) however in an attempt to make it 'Grill' like they had added some New York canvas's and plastic checked table covers. My Husbands travelled around America and lot and could've sworn the Grill style restaurant would've originated from Texas of something so the New York theme jarred with us a little. The menu was huge and had plenty of choice but was just the Grill menu and had no sign of the pub food menu. I'd imagine it would be great for a large family with varied tastes! We made the most of the 2 for £8.95 offer and ordered two courses. The garlic bread starter was delicious and tasted homemade, however the wedges were hard in the middle and not as edible as we'd hoped. For mains I had a lasagne that was huge and very cheesy, typical for basic pub food. I prefered the garlic bread we had for the started. My husbands burger didn't look great and after the wedge disaster he was concerned about the hand cut chips! The bread was stale and the burger a bit unappealing. He ended up leaving most of it and left all of the chips as they were over cooked this time. No one came to check if everything was OK until after the meal and when we pointed out that the bread was stale (and surely a nearly full plate would state that he didn't enjoy it) we just got a 'sorry about that' and nothing else.

Disappointed with the service again. The card machine wouldn't work and our card was to blame apparently, even though we had to drive to a cash machine and get money out with the very same card. We came very frustrated with the customer service at this point. I think I recall the couple before us having the same issue but they had cash on them, but I can't be sure. When returning to pay with cash a Gentleman was very polite and thanked us for doing that. He mentioned that they were in contact with the card machine company to sort it.

I hate to be negative, in fact...I think this is my first bad review!? After the first visit I honestly thought it had great potential as the homemade food was really tasty. I wish I had wrote a review then and they may have stuck with the menu and made adjustments to the other parts of the service. I'm not sure I could try it again after two bad visits but hope that they improve as it's good to see pubs still busy in these hard times.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank vbeckham83
ormskirk
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

went to the red lion expecting normal boring pub grub ,but was amazed to find jr,s steak house .firstly the decor was in an american theme which was i really pleasent suprise .the food ranged from chargrilled steaks to pizza ,nachos ,foot long hot dogs and proberbly the best burgers ive ever tasted which the waitress said were from the best local butchers in the area dc scots .i have lived in the area for some time now and never realised the huge gardens at the rear .the kids were thrilled with the play area and when we were there they had a bouncy castle too ...have already returned to try more of the food and i cant keep husband away he loves the crispy onions they serve ..

• Visited March 2011