A lovely looking thatched hotel with friendly helpful reception staff, a nice modern bar/restaurant and good sitting area to the front
Sadly the rooms let it down badly. There is currently some renovation work being undertaken but it seems clear that this is being done on a shoe string. We stayed in room 37. The main room was recently furnished in a modern style but the quality of finish was poor and there was a severe lack of attention to detail (stickers on lamps) over-painting etc. It was an odd mix of new items and some making do which really let the whole renovation down
The bathroom was a shock. Very yellow dated suite with nasty grouting, and the toilet which was clearly once white was stained pink inside and on the seat from the use of what I can only assume are the wrong type of cleaning products. The communal toilets had 70s furnishings very faded and unpleasant
Breakfast was a mixed affair. Standard continental and full english buffet (no options to pay less for just one) Here again more evidence of cost / corner cutting. I saw several guests trying to pick through a full tray of bacon but then decide the product was such poor quality (nearly all fat) that they left it in the end. Service was also slow in with plates not being cleared between courses until I asked. However there was plenty of it .
In summary, really not worth the £90 a night charge I would not stay here again unless the management made significant improvements
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You will find Potters Heron Hotel nestled in the heart of Hampshire, near Winchester, Romsey and Eastleigh,and recognise it by its distinctive gabled thatched roof and traditional features. The hotel is located just 3 Miles from IBM HQ .Once inside guests can relax in one of our 53 comfortable bedrooms or enjoy the attractive surroundings of our contemporary refurbished bar restaurant over a delicious meal and chilled glass of wine. Within easy distance from major roads [M3 J12] The Potters Heron is an ideal venue for all occasions, be it business or pleasure.The Restaurant features informal lunch and dinner, with freshly cooked seasonal changing specialities, both regional and international. In the summer we have an "al fresco" sun terrace with wide umbrellas available. In the winter we have a cosy log fire to warm you up. Open 7 days a week from 9.30 Am til late, our large restaurant bar is stocked with international lagers, quality ciders and 3 Hampshire Ales on tap, a large wine selection lists wines by grape variety which enables you to select your favourite wine by flavour, either by the glass or bottle. Sunday lunch with succulent roasts from 12 - 3pm Morning cappuccinos from 9.30 Am, afternoon tea, espresso and liqueurs for the evening. Last orders at 9.30 Pm. Plenty of free parking and free Wi-Fi throughout, THE meeting place in the green....... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Potters Heron reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Potters Heron Hotel Ampfield
- Potters Heron Romsey
- Potters Heron Hotel Romsey