“Nice looking from the front but rooms are poor”
Review of The Potters Heron

The Potters Heron
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ampfield
Reviewed July 3, 2013

A lovely looking thatched hotel with friendly helpful reception staff, a nice modern bar/restaurant and good sitting area to the front

Sadly the rooms let it down badly. There is currently some renovation work being undertaken but it seems clear that this is being done on a shoe string. We stayed in room 37. The main room was recently furnished in a modern style but the quality of finish was poor and there was a severe lack of attention to detail (stickers on lamps) over-painting etc. It was an odd mix of new items and some making do which really let the whole renovation down

The bathroom was a shock. Very yellow dated suite with nasty grouting, and the toilet which was clearly once white was stained pink inside and on the seat from the use of what I can only assume are the wrong type of cleaning products. The communal toilets had 70s furnishings very faded and unpleasant

Breakfast was a mixed affair. Standard continental and full english buffet (no options to pay less for just one) Here again more evidence of cost / corner cutting. I saw several guests trying to pick through a full tray of bacon but then decide the product was such poor quality (nearly all fat) that they left it in the end. Service was also slow in with plates not being cleared between courses until I asked. However there was plenty of it .

In summary, really not worth the £90 a night charge I would not stay here again unless the management made significant improvements

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Friendly staff in the hotel. Good breakfast from 7am. Nice size room, however I was actually cold in the middle of the English Summer and there was no heating or airco. Comfy bed.
They have free wifi although its not that fast so viewing web pages is good but downloading to be avoided.

Fast delivery of food in the bar at least when I ordered. Menu is fairly standard. Personally I missed a selection of beers and lagers only the usual present but I guess more people think thats ok.

This wasn't my first preference to stay but all the other hotels I wanted to stay in were fully booked and from the pictures this looked and is a nice hotel in the country. For city dwellers probably not the place to be.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here one night with work and as soon as I walked in felt the warmth of the welcome - lovely lady checked me in and said anything I needed to let her know - and you know what she meant it. Lovely evening meal in very relaxing restaurant - being a lady alone it was great to be shown to a comfortable seat at a table on the mezzanine in the corner. Most amazing butternut & sweet potato soup followed by salmon, new potatoes & spinach. then sat on comfortable sofa drinking a smooth merlot. Breakfast - fresh melon, grapefruit & prunes available, cold meats & cheese, fruit juice, cooked breakfast buffet range. Check out nice and quick. Would definitely stay there again. Bedroom stylish & good size - good night's sleep on the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Room on the back.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having stayed about 5 years ago, I recommended this hotel for a group motorcycling weekend, and everyone was impressed with the food. I was particularly impressed by the flexibility of the management staff when bookings changed and people were delayed in arriving.
Nice building, good public rooms, bedrooms OK and clean but not overlarge.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having read some of the review on here, it made me wonder whether we were talking about the same place. We had booked two rooms for three nights beginning 1st June. Our stay was thoroughly enjoyable. We found the rooms just a little small, and would have liked a bigger double bed, but everything was very clean and comfortable.

The location was superb, which is why we chose this hotel. We managed some great trips out to Beaulieu, Winchester, Salisbury and the New Forest.

Although we were out each day we were more than happy to come back early evening, enjoy a drink in the sunshine, and then have dinner here. The food was good, the service was superb and all the staff very friendly and attentive.

On the Saturday when we arrived, there was a wedding party taking place. This did not impinge on us in any way. The party was in a separate room, and service in the restaurant carried on as normal. We were not bothered by any noise at all, either there or in our own rooms.

The ground floor rooms opened up onto a very small patio area. Not really suitable for sitting out, but to be able to open the door out onto the grass and trees was a bonus. One of our German friends, having just come out of the shower and still naked, was a little surprised to find the window cleaner doing their windows, but it didn't bother him.

Would we stay there again? Yes!! Whatever problems others report on Trip Advisor, we didn't have any at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great décor and lovely public areas. The room was well decorated but small for a family room.
Staff were friendly and the service at breakfast was fantastic.
The patio to our room was tatty as was the garden area beyond.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I pass the hotel on a daily basis but didn't venture in until last week. Decided to have a meal with a couple of family members. Starters came... they didn't mess up the bread! Chicken wings were questionable though.

Then one person ordered ham (which was nice enough, but not quite nice enough for the price tag) and my other half and I made the mistake of ordering slow roasted pork belly and saute potatoes.

Clearly the chef hadn't read his own menu as the pork belly that came out was grey and chewy and the fat clear - I'd be amazed if it hadn't been boiled... yuk (wish I'd taken photos)! And the saute potatoes were not sauted! I couldn't comment on any veg as the belly and a couple of potatoes were all that appeared. The meal was completely tasteless and gone in minutes. Again for the price tag I'd like to feel like I've eaten - I actually ended up going home and cooking another dinner!

Then onto pudding. I declined after the awful main. The other two tried again. Chocolate and orange tart... I am not a fan in the slightest, but tried some. Tasted like... pastry! No orange flavour at all and chocolate was like cardboard. The sticky toffee sponge tasted nice enough, but again quality I'd expect from the supermarket, not a 'decent' restaurant.

The only question on how the meal was came as it was put on the table. Not during the meal when I'd have liked to point out that it wasn't really what we ordered and I wasn't happy.

A very expensive waste of money and won't be making the mistake again.

A pity as from the outside it looks nice and the inside wasn't too bad... you can't charge high prices without providing quality food though.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori_Scrivens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampfield
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
#7 of 13 in Winchester
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The Potters Heron? Share your experiences!