“Nothing too much trouble”
Review of The Potters Heron

The Potters Heron
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ampfield
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I attended a wedding event here on the weekend of November 17th and can't fault the hotel at all. We had a deluxe room on the ground floor and it was clean, well presented and comfortable. The staff were courteous, friendly, made every effort to welcome us and check in was quick and easy. The event itself was well managed, the staff coped admirably with our rather exuberant party! Tables were cleared like magic, the food was good, can't fault them. Breakfast was plentiful and the staff filled empty platters promptly, nice to see a cooked breakfast with variety where the bacon isn't full of flaccid uncooked rind! Good selection of drinks, the dining area was clean and relaxed. In all, no sign of the 'tired, dated' decor mentioned by previous reviewers.
The staff were even happy to leave us draped gingerly, nursing hangovers, on the sofas in the reception for a good hour after check out!
A lovely stay made perfect by fabulous staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I put this into the wrong section so have copied it across -

We booked this hotel following a recommendation by a colleague. The room rate of £79 B&B was very reasonable when you compare the surroundings and ambience with that of the chain hotels at a similar price.
The location is very good for Winchester, Andover, Southampton and the hotel is set is quiet area with ample parking out front.
There are 2 entrances - one for the pub/dining and the other for the hotel( they are interlinked however internally). The hotel entrance is bright with white and "aged" wood finish. Check in was not as reviewed by others. The lady was helpful, pleasant and we were off to our rooms in the minimum amount of time and fuss. We were on the ground floor. The room was very spacious and larger than most I have recently stayed in. Again the wooden "aged" theme was continued but saying that the room felt clean, looked tidy and the bedding was very crisp. That actual bed was very comfy.
Digital TV/ Tea Coffee are provided( with biscuits). In the rooms you have a cabled internet access( free) and in the public areas, wifi is available ( also free).
The bathroom provided toiletries( shower gel etc) and I guess this would be where the room if anywhere could be better, Everything worked fine - the water was hot, the shower powerful and soft fluffy towels provided but it seemed just a tad unloved...can't put my finger on it. It didn't spoil my stay just took the edge off and contributed to the missing fifth star.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening, service was prompt efficient and at no time did we feel that there wasn't anyone around if we needed anything. Staff were always on hand to ask.

The food itself is okay. I have eaten better food and I think the surroundings make you feel that the food will be something special. It's not but I don't think it is fair to say it is " boil in the bag food". My Steak pie was rich in flavour and plentiful with meat, the Thai fishcakes to start were strange in appearance but hit the spot where taste mattered.
Cost wise, with a bottle of wine and 2 x 3 course meal the bill came to £60. All in all, reasonable.
Breakfast was an area where I felt the hotel let itself down. When you look at the quality of the surroundings elsewhere in the hotel, going for breakfast was like stepping back into a hotel chain something akin to the tired Holiday Inn group...The cold choice looked a little like it had been there for some while as could be said for the hot. Once again though the staff were very good and were chatty, helpful and assistive.

Checkout was quick, they had issues with printers not working but when all said and done, I experienced none of the problems others had.

Overall, the hotel is set in a good location. It's key areas are well finished, well kept.
The staff are very friendly, there are enough of them and they went out of their way to help us.
Rooms were clean, comfy and at £79 B&B very good value.
Would I recommend this hotel - definitely. It has everything you need and for the price provides very good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Awful drive down to this place from London, so I was in a particularly snotty mood.

Then everything changed when I went in through the front door.

1. Check-in lady - lovely, efficient, friendly, helpful.
2. Room - unbelievable - really nicely appointed, large, huge comfy bed, nice bathroom, immaculately clean.
3. Bar/Restaurant - very nice staff, again really helpful and efficient.
4. Other staff all really kind, professional, courteous, etc.

Quite frankly the combination of the fabulous room and the even more fabulous staff warrants me awarding this the rather dubious accolade of best UK hotel I've stayed in this year (including the super posh ones I don't bother reviewing because it's irrelevant).

Seriously - I'm actually looking forward to going back for another meeting in the area next month. One other thing - can't remember the name of the young woman on reception in the evening but she is pure class.

Room Tip: Room 54 is the one for me.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We came as part of a wedding group, Our room was large and spacious, tastefully furnished, with all mod cons. The hospitality was second to none, bar staff, resturant and reception all helpful and polite. Oh, and there was plenty of bacon for breakfast. Bacon always wins.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms means you have a door to the pretty gardens with seating outside, great for a morni...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at the Potter's Heron for two nights and can highly recommend it, not least because I felt it was excellent value for money and had the essential bonus of friendly staff who were welcoming and offered a smile - quite unusual these days.

The hotel itself is pretty as a picture with thatched roof and the bedrooms are located at the rear in a more recent extension which has refurbished rooms (we were on the first floor and had a balcony overlooking trees). Very clean everywhere and a calming atmosphere. The reception is well furnished and attractive with good restaurant - we enjoyed both meals we had and thought they represented great value with an excellent choice plus varied wine menu.

The previous reviewer really ought to have the decency to let us all know the name of the fabulous motorway services he/she likens Potter's Heron's breakfast area to, as I would like to go and have breakfast there - that is, if it meets the high standards we found at Potters Heron. Large area with lovely bay window alcoves to sit in, damask cloths and napkins, (only criticism - no vista of the motorway to admire) with view over garden where we enjoyed a good choice of hot and cold food, great coffee and smiling staff who were only too willing to help and anticipated your needs.

In summary, we enjoyed our stay and we are already planning a return visit as we liked the location being close to Romsey and Winchester and would recommend it to anyone looking for a calm, relaxed place to stay which has the good sense to employ staff who actually enjoy giving service....with a smile.

Room Tip: First floor refurbished room with balcony
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I usually always check tripadvisor before booking anywhere now. Well this time I didn't and ohboy did I pay for this - luckily it was only for 1 night.

LOCATION
Away from any central location which was nice - had a real country feel

CAR PARK
Safe car parking

HOTEL
from outside it does indeed look absolutely charming - thatched roof and quintessentially English. It is very large inside. The bar area looked nice. However Restaurant/breakfast area looked like motorway service area

SERVICE
Very good - which is just as well as hotel is really not up to scratch.

FOOD
I ordered a meal - just basically up to usual pub grub standards nothing special.

HOTEL ROOM
I was meant to have a balcony - yuk yuk yuk. Appalling - was not really a balcony more a gutter area which was dirty and full of yuk.
Room itself was fairly big and was reasonable enough however was not really up to scratch for price . Bed was ill-made the quilt so lumpy it looked like moles underneath. Could have been a bit cleaner too

Room also smelt a bit fusty and bathroom smelt of cheap cleaning stuff - fusty smelling. Not nice.

Hotel bathroom really needs a good steam cleaning with fittings replaced in some cases e.g. toilet lids etc. But really for this price bathrooms need redoing, and room finsihed off a bit better and cleaner trained how to clean properly,

If I had paid £50 I would have accepted this as just slightly below travel lodge standards however I paid £90 for a basically a dump.

Really this hotel could be amazing - But they need to spend some money on improving interiors and getting rid of fusty smell

In one word - disappointing!!

If this was helpful please press the button

Room Tip: check your rate first
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank jedisam
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed for 1 night and had a very pleasant stay. Our room was clean and welcoming. The room had a small balcony and looked out onto a lovely wooded scene. The staff were pleasant and efficient. The breakfast was good. The hotel is just a short drive from Chandlers Ford and easy access to Southampton/Motorway.

Room Tip: There was a wedding reception at the hotel but our room was well away from any noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampfield
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester
Elizabeth House Hotel
Elizabeth House Hotel
#5 of 25 in Southampton

Been to The Potters Heron? Share your experiences!