“Modern Pub - Lodge - Eaterie combine”
Review of The Sheldon Arms

The Sheldon Arms
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The Sheldon Arms is a typical modern traditional mode pub favoured by the progressive mid size brewery combines serving both as a pub and as a restaurant for an adjacent lodge.

The pub is operated by J W Lees and we have eaten there twice.

The pub is relatively new and therefore well appointed and spacious. The beers are well kept, and as is typical of the modern brewing trade well stocked with a rotation of seasonal beers. Yes it gets busy - but that's what happens when you provide well for your market and you might have to sit somewhere rather than where you really wanted - but that happens anywhere.

Where the Sheldon Arms scores is its good value carvery.

They have enough trade, or take enough care, to keep the meat and the accompaniments rotating fast enough to be fresh and tasty - not dried out by heat lamps, and tough and tasteless.

Its not the Ritz - its not trying to be the Ritz - but it is a good value quality place to get reliable good British fodder - if that's your thing.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed at the Travelodge next door. Went to a football match and were late back but were greeted by very friendly and hard working staff. Had a good meal and were so impressed that we came back for breakfast in the morning.
Lovely staff both times who worked very hard with smiles on their faces. Well done and would definitely use again if we stay at the Travelodgr

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Booked a table for a birthday found the waitress was rude her attitude was shocking she told us we ave to order food now because our table is booked for 5.30 but when I reserve the table I was told we had to leave the table at 5.30 not before felt like they just want you in and out when your trying to relax and enjoy your afternoon ! I had carvery so did my sister and my 9 month old daughter it was horrible it wasn't warm enough the potatoes were hard and the vegetables no roast potatoes the cauliflower was in a cheese sauce horrible even my daughter refused to eat it shes loves her food ! Would never go back again even if the carvery was free no chance !

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I'm really surprised at some of the views on the Sheldon arms. I visited 3 times in December and once in January. This place is second to none at having the nicest carvery I've ever had. You can tell that everything is fresh and cooked to perfection. I wish I could eat there every single day!

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Place is lovely as are the staff but please, if you're doing a carvery can you do normal veg? I or my children don't want Moroccan spice all over.
And stop doing frozen roast spuds. You charge more than most, particularly drinks, so please serve fresh food.