“Not as good as I was expecting :/”

San Rocco- Ashton-under-Lyne
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Not as good as I was expecting :/”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Visited San Rocco with family after we had been told by several people that it was an excellent place - However, I was very disappointed.
There was a large group of us and only 3 people actually said the food was good, the rest said the food tasted bland.
Personally, I had a sirloin steak, medium rare - the dinner came and was drowned in sauce and a side of chips was brought, no veg, not even an option to have vegetables - I eat healthy food, and to be forced to have chips was a bit of a surprise to say the least, I wanted potatoes and veg but could not have that! The steak was absolutely drowned in Peppercorn sauce, again I prefer this in a separate condiment so I can choose how much I want on my plate, when I am paying £17.50 for a steak, I want to taste the meat, NOT sauce. There was 2 big lumps of grizzle on all 3 steaks too, it would have been nice if that had been trimmed before being served.
That said, one of the waiters heard my complaint about the sauce being over powering and offered to redo my plate, but we were the last to get our meals, we had waited maybe 40/45 minutes so there was no way I was going to wait another 20 minutes or so while it was redone and everyone else was eating. out of the party 3 ordered Steak and the other 2 said exactly the same as I did, the meat was very bland and we wondered if they had covered the meat in sauce to try and mask the fact it was cheap meat?

After dinner the staff bought the Birthday cake out and then left us to it, no one came to the table then for over an hour which was when we asked for the bill; myself and 2 others did not eat chocolate cake and wanted a different dessert from the restaurant, but no one came to ask, nor did ONE member staff come and ask if anyone wanted any drinks.
As I say, we were left then for well over an hour, only when one of the group went to the counter and asked for the bill did anyone come to the table and that was to clear up.

All in all, a very bad experience for me - I am a bit fussy about my steaks as you will know if you follow my reviews, and this was one of the blandest steaks I have ever had.

What I will say is that early on, as we sat down etc, the staff were very attentive, but later they seem to have forgotten to come ask us if anyone needed anything, unless they have a policy where you are meant to go to the bar? No one told us if that's the case. :/

I will not be going back, and out of the group, I don't think anyone said they would - speaks volumes that does!
I have given an AVERAGE rating base on the group, had it been based on my food, it would have been POOR!

• Visited December 2013

Rochdale, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Warm welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have eaten at San Rocco a few times this year and we will keep coming back. The waiters are really friendly and the food is always great. The restaurant is always buzzing with a great atmosphere, definitely recommend it.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank mary w
Greater Manchester
“Good food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Third visit to San Rocco and impressed once again. Staff are very friendly, food is tasty and fresh and some good Italian beer.

Only downfall was the desserts. The tiramisu was disappointing and seemed to be all fatty cream and hardly any flavour. That said I will definitely come again.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank RHardman1
Portugal Cove, Canada
“sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

had a lovely sunday lunch with a friend ,we both are in our 80th year, the waiter was very plesant ,the food was very good ,we have been quite a few times ,we will most certainly be going again
we both had the lamb ,and it melted in our mouths ,cant wait to go again

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank berbara-13
Manchester, United Kingdom
“80s night - wonderful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Went to the 80s night on the 20th!! The food was lovely, the trifle was to die for!! Didn't eat that good in the 80s!!! The entertainment was outstanding, and the staff worked phenomenonaly hard!! I'm unsure where the reviewer 'l l' was - I never heard any complaints and the toilets were spotless!!! £25 for a 3 course meal, entertainment from an 80s ledgend AND the money went to charity!!!!!! Can't wait for the next one!!! :D

• Visited September 2013