New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant

Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St Ives
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Pleased to see the place has improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've been eating at Slepe Hall for nearly 20 years now and under the last management it went seriously downhill. This was my first visit since the change in ownership and my first impression was positive: the sun was shining and the dreadful American bar has gone. Admittedly my demands today were not heavy but my crayfish, smoked salmon and avocado salad was excellent even if I did have to ask specially for oil and vinegar for the dressing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback following your light meal with us. I am pleased that you approve of the changes that we have made and that you enjoyed your meal. I hope that you will come back again soon and put our chefs to the test!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Stuart and all the Staff at Slepe Hall for making my 50th Celebration an absolutely fantastic evening on Friday 20th June 2014. The venue was perfect, the food delicious, and all the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating. The evening ran so smoothly that I did not have to worry about a thing, and I have had great feedback and comments from my guests saying "what a wonderful" time they had.

From the first contact I had with Stuart, his professionalism and attention to detail was evident, and I have been impressed with the consistent high level of service received. Particular thanks must go to him, of course, and all the others who were involved on the evening.
So thank you for helping to make this evening such a great success, and hope I get the opportunity to attend another fabulous evening at Slepe Hall.

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thanks for your very nice review following your 50th Birthday celebrations last weekend, I am delighted that you and all of your guests had a good time, I did indeed speak to lots as they were leaving and they confirmed that they had enjoyed the evening.

We look forward to seeing you many more times at the hotel
St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We got married 31st May 2014 at Slepe Hall. Everything went very smoothly thanks to the staff who were very organised and met every detail requested. The Brunel suite was set up perfectly and whatever we needed they were able to provide us with. The BBQ we had was great. Food was lovely came out freshly cooked. The rooms were very clean and the Jacuzzi bath was perfect to end a great day! Thank you so much to all of the team at Slepe Hall you made our day very special. Stuart and Natalie did a great job for our special day and we would recommend the venue to anyone who is looking for an intimate wedding day. From Mr and Mrs Parnham :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for your lovely review following your special wedding day, I am really pleased that you enjoyed the day so much. We are striving to achieve very high standards for our functions and weddings alongside everything we do in the hotel and I am pleased that we didn't fail on your day. We look forward to seeing you in the restaurant soon and hopefully we will get to see some of your pictures.

Many Congratulations to you both
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Myself and 6 other ladies got together for a Saturday night. We headed straight to the hotel and began our evening with cocktails on the patio. We looked through the menu, while outside, and it was very difficult to decide what to have as the menu was great, with lots of superb choices.
The meal was lovely, the service was excellent and the building itself has been beautifully furnished - a great place to spend the evening!

• 5 of 5 stars
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
I am very pleased that you and your ladies enjoyed your evening with us on Saturday. We do change our menu regularly and will be due a change in a couple of weeks so would be lovely to see you again soon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Our table was booked for 8pm and we arrived at the Hotel at 6.30 and had some lovely cocktails outside. The service throughout the evening was attentive without being intrusive. All the food was both stunning to look at and tasted wonderful. We didin't leave the hotel until 11.30 and at no point did we feel pressured into leaving our table. Overall we had an excellent evening, in a very comfortable and realxing setting.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review following your meal with us at the weekend, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your evening, it was certainly a lovely evening to be drinking cocktails on the terrace.

We are working very hard to ensure total customer satisfaction and it appears we ticked these boxes for you at the weekend.

We look forward to seeing you again soon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We have dined at Slepe Hall on a number of occasions in the past since it first re-opened under new management. The service initially was not particularly good but the food was of good standard from the outset. The service has improved quite considerably but we have witnessed over the past months a deterioration in the standard of cuisine and we can only describe our meal for 4 of us last evening as very poor indeed and certainly not value for money. The two ladies had the Cod main course> The cod was very small and came with 3 asparagus tips.potato rosti which was non existent and the piece de risistance was the pouring sauce ( ? ) which I can only describe as looking and tasting like sheep dip. There was also a very small slither of heritage tomato - whatever that was. The ladies did not have starters as they thought, wrongly, that the main course and a desert would be sufficient. Having looked at the desert menu which was not very inspiring - particularly for one who was gluten free, they decided that they would not bother. The other gentleman had soup followed by rib eye Steak and chips both of which appeared to be satisfactory. I had the pork tempura starter which appeared to have been over cooked and lacked an appetizing sauce to help the dryness along. My main course was whole plaice which was small and well cooked and accompanied by three halves of new potatoes. The other gentleman and myself decided against a desert for the same reasons as the ladies. We mentioned to the waitress our feelings about the meal generally and she conveyed our comments to the kitchen who did not appear to be at all concerned. It is a pity that such a nice venue on which no expense appears to have been spared on the refurbishment is being allowed to deteriorate in the standard of its cuisine. It was very noticeable that there were very few diners for a Saturday evening. Perhaps that should be telling you something.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Michael W
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent meal at the hotel, and for also taking the time to speak with me personally on the telephone about the experience.

I have spoken with the hotel owner and head chef at length following your comments and I would like to assure you that what you experienced was certainly not what we are aiming for.

We have conducted a review of the fish dishes served and are making some changes to the menu to reflect this. We are also going to remove the Tomato Consommé, or sheep dip as you refer to it, from the cod dish and add a different sauce.

You did say when we spoke that you would come back and we look forward to welcoming you back soon and proving to you that Slepe Hall Hotel is a great local eatery and that this was a blip after feeding 165 diners on that Saturday.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
St Ives
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Just enjoyed a midweek meal with friends. Very pleasant setting, good meal attentive service. Observant and much appreciated proactive attention from bar staff when I found myself in need of assistance.
I will be returning.

• 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your recent feedback following your evening meal with us. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and that they service was very attentive, particularly from Neil in the bar when you needed some help

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 34 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 stars 1,920 reviews
Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse

Been to Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!