“Our Wedding”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St Ives
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Our Wedding”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Special thanks to Stuart and his staff for making us feel so special on Our Wedding day. From the minute we arrived to when we left the following morning you made us feel extremely relaxed and incredibly special.. Surroundings, food, drinks and service were all top class. Would recommend as a definate for anyone who wants to be made feel special. Thanks again Stuart.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thanks for your kind comments following your wedding with us this spring. We are working extremely hard to offer a first class service for our clients and it is pleasing to know that we are achieving this. We try very hard to make our wedding meals interesting and exciting and a little different from the norm!

We look forward to seeing you both at the hotel again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We are from next door town of Huntingdon and attended our niece's wedding at the Slepe Hall. We did not stay overnight but did get changed in one of their bedrooms. We found it to be warm and comfortable and very contemporary. We had a beautiful ceremony in the restaurant which was beautifully converted. The meal for the reception was hot, delicious and plentiful and the wine was delicious too. The only downside was a very bad evening of rain (which obviously the hotel cannot control) which blocked the drainage of the toilets and made them un-flushable in the extension building. This however did not marr the enjoyment of the day and evening. Service was good all round. Thankyou Slepe Hall, you did a wonderful job.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LadyMorticia67
Thank you for your kind comments regarding a wedding that you attended last year. We are certainly working very hard to ensure all weddings are as successful as your niece's was.

We have since spoken with Anglian Water about the waste water issues that we encountered and it was due to a bigger issue that they had all over the town that evening.

We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon, maybe in Ramsey's Brasserie?
rugby warwickshire england
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Have not been to the restaurant for some years but had noted that it had been refurbished and thought that it would be good to try it again.

A special birthday lunch was arranged for the family and was enjoyed by everyone.

Staff were very helpful and friendly and we were looked after really well... nothing was to much trouble. We were not hurried over our meal.

The food was good especially the starters!

I would certainly recommend the restaurant and hope to return again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank rugbytrisha
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thanks for your recent review following your lunch at the hotel.

As you mention the hotel has undergone a major refurbishment and a major change to food and drink served.

I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your celebration lunch, something we are starting to specialise in.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon
Cambridge
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We were frequent users of this Hotel in the past, but it became rather tired. Returning again, surprise, we find it has been extensively revamped with an attractive redesign of all the interior. Excellent lunch taken there and we will return again. Staff very friendly and talking to them it appears it is a place they like working in.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent lunch at Slepe Hall Hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and indeed your lunch and that the return visit to the hotel was a welcome surprise.

We have as you say made a major investment in the hotel over the last 12 months and will continue to do so over the coming months.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

A few friends and I went to Slepe Hall a couple of weeks ago and had an absolutely fantastic meal! The service was brilliant and we couldn't have had a better time!

All staff were extremely helpful & attentive to our needs! We would 100% recommend drinking/ dining at Slepe Hall, whether you are local or travelling to the Hotel, you won't regret it!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for the positive feedback following your recent visit to the hotel, I am very pleased that you enjoyed the experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon where you will be able to eat outside on the terrace very soon! (Once the warm weather arrives!!)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We booked for 8 people (several quite elderly) for New Years Eve. It was advertised as a buffet with eatting times of 8 or 9 pm. We choose 8 as our elderly parents eat early and our children were going into town afterwards.

To summarise:

kept waiting for half an hour at the bar as the bar staff were unable to take the money for a bottle of wine. Staff told me that they had the two least experienced staff on the bar which does not make a good first impression.

The starter was served your table and then they started calling tables to visit the buffet. We were sitting right next to the buffet but they called tables from the far end of the hall first- mainly couples and small parties. We didn't get to the buffet until about 9.30 by which time we have watched people leaving with their plates piled high but we didn't have the choice of lamb as this had run out and apparently the beef are too rare for most people and by this time we were being served the food to you and my husband ended up with 1 slice of beef, two potatoes and a few vegetables for £60! The next and last table to us fared even worse as they served them what looked like scraps of ham from the kitchen! They did serve everybody a glass of Proseco at midnight which hadn't been included in the cost.

I emailed the hotel in early January regarding our disappointment with the evening. After not getting a reply within a week I emailed again stating that I was waiting for their response before posting on Tripadviser. Interestingly enough this got a response.

The manager left a message on my answerphone stating that he had been trying to contact me (he hadn't!) and he would call me back in a few days time. When I eventually spoke to him he was full of excuses and an apology 'the chefs last day, his idea to do the buffet, just got the hotel and re-training staff etc etc etc'. He offered us a complimentary 3 course meal for 8 which we decided to give them another chance.

I emailed him towards the end of January with a date in March for 8 people (in fact the weekend of my daughters 21st birthday). He emailed me back starting he wasn't sure he could do that date.......... eventually he emailed me back and said that the date was available.

The week before I emailed to confirm the reservation. No response. On turning up at the hotel on time, the receptionist told us they didn't have a booking in our name and after saying the reservation was made with the manager, the assistant manager? asked us to take a seat in the bar. This was embarrassing to say the least in front of our guests.

We sat in the bar and were handed menus and a waitress came to take our order. My mother who was sat in the middle of the group gave her order and as I wanted the same thing I said make that two of those. The waitress replied that she wouldn't remember who'd order what so could we please start at one end of the table and work around! I can't remember exactly how long we waited in the bar but I'm sure we didn't sit down to eat until after 2.00pm. The meal itself was ok and the service was ok (not brilliant considering we were returning disgruntled customers). On paying for our drinks the assistant manager again apologised for New Years Eve.

I can't put my finger on what's wrong with this hotel/restaurant. Staff training is definitely an issue - a lot of the staff seem to be very young and therefore cheap? - may be they are understaffed? and that's why timings are an issue? I don't know but I wouldn't go along unless a long wait and mediocre food doesn't detract from your enjoyment.

The surroundings are nice but the service and food don't live up to the décor!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

We did discuss the issues with New Year's Eve previously, and as explained, it was our first New Year's Eve at the hotel and we had tried a buffet upon recommendation from our Head Chef, who did indeed leave on New Year's Eve last year. As I confirmed to you in January, we have already taken decisions to change the way New Year's Eve 2014 will be and we will be serving a plated meal to each guest ensuring the portion size is as it should be and that there is no risk of people not being able to enjoy their dish of choice.

The buffet was welcomed and enjoyed by many, however I appreciate your comments that as a family with elderly guests, that you hadn't enjoyed the experience as much as you had wished.

My hesitation over whether we could accommodate you on your return visit was because I was aware that I would be away from the hotel at the time you wished to come due to a period of paternity leave, and I was further aware that the hotel was busy on the day you had selected with some other larger bookings in the restaurant. When your email came through to my private email address a week before you came, I was actually away from the hotel on my leave.

I did only agree to this date for you as it was your daughters 21st birthday and didn't want you to feel that I was being awkward by saying that you couldn't come. You had previously said that as a family it is difficult for you to all get together and finding another date for you all to come may have been difficult.
Bookings generally go through the hotel main email, however I understand that this was being dealt with by me personally hence you contacting me directly. I can only apologise for the booking not being made into the diary correctly.

Looking at your email, I notice that you had indeed booked for 1.30pm, and our standard practice is to offer people to take a drink in the bar area whilst looking at a menu before their meal. We are generally not in the practice of rushing people over a family lunch, particularly a celebration lunch.

All of our meals are cooked to order and there would normally be a small wait from time of ordering to being sat at the table for your meal. Generally from the time everybody gathers, gets drinks, makes decisions and then the food is prepared, this could take about 30 minutes on what was a busy service and I am sorry that you feel this was exceptional.

On reflection I shouldn't have taken your booking for lunch that day as we were already very busy, but as I say I didn't want to appear awkward to you as you had commented on how difficult getting together was.

Having spoken with the assistant manager she advises me that when asked if you had enjoyed your meal, she tells me that you said how lovely it had been, this some what differs from the now "ok" lunch, and that you continued to leave a staff gratuity of £25 Somewhat bemused?

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this return visit.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I use your hotel frequently for both the restaurant and the hotel. Always receive excellent service plus you are always able to accommodate where possible even at last at the last minute.

Would definitely use you again and again.

• Stayed February 2014
Thanks for the kind words regarding you regular use of the hotel.

I am pleased that you continue to return for a variety of occasions and look forward to welcoming you back many more times in the coming weeks and months
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
#1 of 9 in Huntingdon
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
#4 of 9 in Huntingdon

Been to Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!