“Excellent Pub Food For Kiwi Visitors”
Review of White Hart

White Hart
Ranked #19 of 55 Restaurants in St Ives
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent Pub Food For Kiwi Visitors”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Highly recommend White Hart. We 3 went for typical pub lunch for tourists to enjoy. Steak and Kidney Suet Main was totally delicious. Lambs Fry and Bacon delicious, altho real bacon rather than scraps would have enhanced the experience. Small roast of the day was 'huge' and excellent. Selection of veges, number of veges, sauces, presentation, cooking was outstanding. Topped off by first class local Guiness. Believe it or not - we even squeezed in home made puddings - the best treacle pudding on a two and a half month trip. ACE Pub! Thank you.

• Visited June 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Hale and Hearty”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Having skirted round the pub for some time - worrying that it was a regulars only affair, I recently had dinner at the White Hart for the first time. My boyfriend and I were greeted with a friendly joke from the men round the bar "Don't worry, we don't bite - not often anyway".

We were served quickly and ordered a couple of pints of London Pride. They pull a good pint, if perhaps a little warm. The menu features typical pub grub, with a couple of more adventurous items such as Stilton Chicken. There is a good selection of choices for vegetarians (4-5 menu items) and a cheap senior citizens and children's menu. There's a buzz in the bar created by the locals, but there's a fair amount of space, so it's easy enough to find a quiet corner for dinner if you want to avoid the hubub. Out the back is a small courtyard, which would be a pleasant place for lunch on a hot day. The ambiance is friendly once you're inside and the décor focusses on the history of the town and its pubs.

The food was good and the service swift and polite. The focus was on quantity rather than fine cuisine - I did have my suspicions that the roast potatoes may have seen a freezer at some point in its existence, the yorkshire pud was a little crispy and the emphasis on the "medium" (read: HUGE) veggie roast, was very much on quantity of veg, rather than selecting elements which complemented each other. However, the food was tasty, fresh and fairly wholesome - the White Hart successfully avoided the two pub clichés of stodgy and dripping in fat or microwaved from frozen.. Mains are around £8-£10, which, given the generous portion sizes represents good value.

If you're in St. Ives, the White Hart is worth a visit for a good solid meal. You won't go away hungry!

• Visited June 2013
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious pleasure”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

What's it called when you receive bountiful portions of good food? i think it's called heaven.
this is the pub that all of us locals rate as the best food serving establishment in st ives at the moment,it is still very underestimated, long may be so.

• Visited September 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A real welcome at a proper English pub”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The challenge was to find somewhere to eat halfway between where I live and where my elderly mother lives. And she's not the easiest of people to please! The White Hart exceeded all our expectations. We got a warm welcome, the proprietress even remembered my telephone enquiry from two weeks previously!

Fortunately we had arranged to meet at 12: Monday and Friday are market days in the town, and half an hour later there was not a spare table. Good sign. The menu is totally unpretentious, but the phrase "home made" appears frequently and you get the definite feeling that what they do, they do very well.

My 85-year old mother chose the pensioner's (small) roast lamb meal - but she cannot eat either peas or sweetcorn, and doesn't like carrots. Not a problem! When her plate arrived, it was completely covered with food, and she counted SEVEN different vegetables - no complaints from Mother! I cannot imagine what the full-sized roast meal is like.

My sister (chauffeuse) had a prawn sandwich, I chose the local ham served with an egg and chips. Delicious. Everything was served speedily and cheerfully; the waitress was attentive but not fawning. Once we had everything we wanted, we were left in peace - none of this "is everything alright?" box-ticking enquiry.

If I was hosting a meal for American visitors (as I do occasionally) in St Ives, I would take them to the White Hart - not because it's Ye Olde Englishe Pubbe, but because genuinely it's an old English pub. No "airs and graces" - it doesn't need them. Real people working hard to treat dining guests well. Full marks!

• Visited May 2013
“Lucky find - will return”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Came here as our usual was full - only to find this was better.
Very fresh food, friendly and attentive service and good value.
Recommended.