All reviewsmeadow suitesunday lunchancient bridgebar mealsthree coursesboats mooredwedding partybuffet stylefunction roomample parkinga lovely stayone night staypuddingfull englishousevenuestarters
Reviewed May 25, 2013

If what you like is a false and sterile setting then the dolphin is not the place,there are many places up and down the land that could do with the Mary Portas treatment,but why oh why does everything need to be ultra modern sheek.
The staff are all very pleasant,coffee and teas excellent,and location,the best in St Ives,and it certainly is not overpriced,when you can spent £7.00 for a very sub standard breakfast in the high street cafe sourced from budgen's, or get locally sourced bacon and eggs and real sausages at the Dolphin for £8.50,i know which one i'm having.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were on a boat last bank holiday and stopped at St Ives to have lunch at The Dolphin.
Although the setting is idyllic, especially on a lovely warm sunny day as it was, the rest soon went very downhill.
There were four of us with our Border Terrier so we sat outside. Two of us went in to order and pay for lunch, only to be told when we finally got to the bar that as we wanted the carvery we didn't have to queue at the bar but to go through to the restaurant and to queue again ( but hey we are British!! ) pay for our lunch and to and choose and take it ourselves to our table outside. This of course we had to repeat again.
Considering that not only was it a Bank Holiday but a warm and sunny day we would have expected it to be more organised than it was.
The food, although reasonably priced was of poor quality. We have paid half again for carvery's and have had excellent food with tender beef and vegetables that haven't seemed as though they had been lying around.
Sorry Dolphin but whoever's in charge really needs to up their game if your going to carry on in business with passing trade.

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the hotel but only stopped off for lunch while we were on the river so cannot comment.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PaulAbraham-Lloyd
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Sadly this is the first time I have reviewed the Dolphin having stayed here 3 or 4 times before on the basis that I liked it. however tonight I had to suffer a cold shower at 2130 that pi**ed me of slightly, Frankly I can't be bothered complaining to the management about this sort of thing because it really is too late by then. It's well located by the river for St Ives and the breakfast is good for me with regards to a full english. |t has a great location by the river but can't understand why the bar is closed at 2130? I ended up in one of several other pubs/bars in st Ives that had many life forms present compared to the Dolphin bar. For all that I suspect that I will use the Dolphin again but take my shower earlier and will probably eat & socialise elsewhere. Dolphin, you are obviously doing some things right but I think you are missing out on a whole load of business opportunities. You should be the 'goto' hotel in St Ives but I would be quite happy to try somewhere else (if i can be bothered) in future, c'mon Dolphin, I want you to be as good as you could be :-)|

Room Tip: From my experience they are all very similar standard. I'm not too keen on the rooms on the ground floor next to the street, you have to draw the curtains for privacy, as a business traveller I aint too bothered as it is quiet but I just noticed I'm gonna have to get outta bed and sort the curtains out 'cause the whole street will have been looking at me typing this up in bed with the light on bec.ause I haven't pulled the curtains properly! The general setting however, is lovely. I think anyone would be reasonably here for the cost but it could easily be a whole load better
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is my second review of this hotel. Staying here for work and perfect location.

Good Points
Location
Village lots of bars and places to eat
Good size room and clean.

Bad points
Wifi - its a faff to connect with having to register. I could connect and browse in bar ok in my room (10) i could connect to network but not the internet.
Location of Room 10, on ground floor next to road into village so unable to leave window open when not in room.
Room is looking tired with edging missing off desk and counter.
The TV size is pathetic and some channels are missing.

OK points
The shower is ok although the instructions are funny. Took a few minutes to warm up, the same as home.
The staff are neither super helpful and friendly or miserable.
Breakfast is OK, cook your own toast and buffet. There was cold cheese and meat out but no croissants to put them on.

Room Tip: Rooms 8 & 10 are on ground floor next to road and are best avoided tbh.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Was there as a hotel guest and working on behalf of a wedding client who were using Dolphin for their reception.
Room 10 has severe problems with poor WiFi coverage, and the "support" from the WiFi provider is dire, their log on page has no help at all, so finding out why the user name "does not meet the specification" is hard, as there is no way to check what is wrong.

Hot water to shower needs the shower on high flow for at least 10 minutes to get hot water.
Other wise, room OK.

Breakfast menu is good, choices are good, and all OK. Service in dining room very different to the rest of the place, and was good.

Management attitude is very bad, had several very bad examples of how not to provide customer service.

First was on check in, our rooms were booked by groom, and were requested as adjacent. We got 10 and 12A, which were on separate floors, so making baby sitting and connecting somewhat harder to do. The excuse from the check in desk, (a Manager) was "we are extremely busy this weekend as we have 2 functions booked". That's no excuse for not meeting the request made when the booking was made, we were not a last minute casual booking taking whatever was available.

Asked at reception for a clean up to be done outside the reception venue, as there were dead wine glasses and cigarette butts on the floor from the previous evening event. Was told "It had been already been done", and made to feel that even asking them to do something was not my place. As a client of both the hotel and the wedding party, the ONLY acceptable response was "Yes Sir", anything else, and excuses for not doing it was totally unacceptable, especially from a manager. If a staff member had not been present, my response would have been a lot stronger than it was.

Also had to push to get a step ladder to put up decorations, "we'll see if someone has got time to get one" less than 20 minutes before the bride was due was also not the right response, particularly as it had been requested over 2 hours earlier before we left to go to the church.

the formal Reception meal was poorly staffed, several of the waiters were clearly untrained and had to have silver service procedures explained (not demonstrated) just before guests were seated. Cutlery dropped on bride's dress, staining it.
Tables were not correctly or completely cleared.
The meal itself was OK, it would have been much better if the number of people serving and supporting the event had been appropriate.

We overhead a phone comment by the receptionist the following morning asking if there were more staff rostered in for Sunday, "as yesterday had been a nightmare". It also became clear that the "function manager" had taken work home so that she would not be available on the Sunday morning when the wedding party checked out.

Yes, we noticed that, it was very evident that they did not have enough people in for the 2 events that had been booked.

The venue itself is a good location, and could be so much better if the management attitude was not so bad.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple