“Could have been so much nicer”

Oliver's Lodge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Ives
Gosport, Hampshire
“Could have been so much nicer”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The room was dirty - including a really nasty stain on the curtain and cobwebs everywhere. We had to remove a spider from the kettle.
The breakfast was inedible - except for the eggs, which the attentive waitress made sure were done exactly as we asked.
The staff (mostly Eastern European) were polite and helpful, but this didn't make up for the poor level of cleanlness.
The decor was stuck in a 1970s timewarp and the bathroom very small and dingy.
They only supplied towels for one person (there were 2 of us staying and paying).
Bed was clean and of adequate size. Headboard was loose, though.
Seems to be popular with parties of loud Northerners - and sales reps!
Is handy for the town centre and the bus to Cambridge. Though you could hear the traffic on the bypass despite the double glazing.
The old part of the building looks impressive from a distance. Not so sure about the extension, though.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
France
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife and I first stayed Dec 2010. Our first impression was not good as the radiator in the room allocated did not appear to work; we complained and were given a courteous apology and moved to another room. This was airy and clean, if a little old-fashioned (however, not a bad thing).
We did not eat dinner although other guests, eating in the bar area (their choice) said their Indian meals were excellent. Breakfast, next morning, was very good and we left with no complaints, regarding cleanliness, comfort nor service.
In March 2012 we were again in the area and booked to stay for two nights. We were given the same, pleasant room. We ate in the first night and I was very pleased with my Indian meal although my wife was unhappy with her steak which was overcooked.
The staff were courteous, the room comfortable/clean and the breakfasts good.
In settling the bill I mentioned my wife's disappointment with her meal and recieved an apology and the meal was deducted from the bill without demur.

I have no qualms regarding staying again and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick B
Lincolnshire, England
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I was anxious before I went there, having looked up Trip Advisor only after I had booked. I rang to book but was confronted by a woman's voice who said, in a none too friendly voice she was in a meeting and would ring back - she didn't. Eventually, I booked with Late Rooms so I guess their profit margin was less as a result.

The welcome at the hotel was good. Room was very good - clean, quiet, fridge, kettle with usual sachets of stuff, large with good-sized bathroom, too. The only very slight niggle was no shelf in the bathroom and a poor mirror. Breakfast was ordinary but nothing to complain about. Cost was ok.

I don't know whether they have "cleaned" up their act or some reviewers were just unlucky but I'd stay there again.

I needed central St Ives as we were going to a large birthday party in the town - so location was ideal.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2012

The staff were pleasant enough. Bedroom ok but very cold. Bathroom very clean. Restaurant functional - no character. Two of the items on menu not available - although being first in restaurant.Breakfast not the best I have had.
Overall value for money low but would use again as the alternatives in St Ives are few and this hotel was only minutes away from my appointment the following morning.

Room Tip: Rooms at back probably quieter in the morning
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Not good really.

Bedroom had cobwebs almost everywhere. The bathroom was disgusting, paint, mess, cobwebs everywhere. Double bed looked clean however.

Bar is OK, quite small. Did not bother with the 'Restaurant' - nobody was in there!

Very much like a B and B and not a hotel.

Staff were very pleasant however.

The biggest issue I have is that some of the hotel photo's on their website cannot be of this hotel as it is completely and utterly different. It looks like a modern, chic and contemporary place on their website, however, in reality it could not be more further from the truth - shabby rooms, old decor and poor cleanliness. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Antwerp
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Basic rooms, poor breakfast, no value for money, central location, free wifi

• Stayed November 2011
newcastle
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed at olives lodge for one night due to attending a wedding reception.
Our room was very dirty ! from the second we walked in it was very evident that cleaning was not high on the priority list !! We lifted up the bed to be faced with a half inch of dust ,old bits of cereal and thee odd sausage .
Bathroom was very dirty also with scum around the sing and bath.
The waitress and bar service was excellent ! if the rooms were half as good then we would have had a very enjoyable stay .
We will not go back even if for a wedding I would defiantly use the B&Bs just down the road

Room Tip: do not stay here if you like a clean room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Boxworth
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#6 of 9 in Huntingdon

Been to Oliver's Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!