“Excellent fresh food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Galeon de Somo

El Galeon de Somo
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Somo
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to El Galeon de Somo a seafood restaurant to enjoy the food and cuisine of Cantabria. We are located as you can see in a spectacular setting in northern Spain. A 80 m from the beach of Somo in a municipality Ribamontan Ocean east of the Bay of Santander.Among our specialties highlight seafood and fish, how could it be otherwise in our traditional fishing village. We also have steaks and homemade desserts to make your experience with us a pleasant memory left.Harbor also an extensive wine cellar with which you accompany all our specialties.
Castelldefels, Spain
“Excellent fresh food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

A friend from Santander had recommended it to me and it was really worth it. But it's really important that you bear in mind how big their dishes are, so share them!! Fish is fresh and excellent, salads huge and delicious, etc etc. Do book a table there because there's a lot of people and the place is not that big.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Castelldefels

Chicago, Illinois
“One of the best in Cantabria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have to confess I've been coming to El Galeon for the last 10 years or so, and every summer it keeps getting better and better. The dining room has been recently remodeled and includes a great adjacent outdoor patio. However, Agus, the effusive owner, continues working in a kitchen that is probably about 5m2 and hasn't changed in years. What you will find here is some of the best seafood and shellfish on the Northern Coast of Spain. Try the Cigalas fritas, followed by the Almejas (Clams) for an appetizer. You would also be surprised trying the Tuna Tartare... not sure where they get the wasabi to adorn the plate... after all we are in Somo, but it's there. Then, the fish... OMG... the fish. My favorite, the Monkfish (Rape), but everything else is absolutely excellent and cooked simply "a la plancha" in Agus' small kitchen.

The wine list sports a serious list of whites, roses and reds from all over Spain. All of the desserts are also homemade and are wonderful.

If you are visiting Cantabria, don't miss a meal at El Galeon. You won't be disappointed, seriously.

• Visited August 2013
Bologna, Italy
“Excellent food and romantic dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very good restaurant, the fish was oustanding, good variety and perfectly cooked and presented, the service was punctual and nice, I definitely recommend it.
If you are interested in some more detailed review with nice pictures, visit this page: http://teresalamaltesa.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/a-feast-at-el-galeon/
Two people, apetizers, main course, wine, dessert 75 euros in total.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Bit disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had been told this was a restaurant for fine dining - it wasn't. I started with rabas - fried squid, nothing special and at 11 euros for the dish it should have been. My husband had stuffed peppers with monkfish and prawn, but no sign of either in the savoury custard inside the peppers.
I had mussels marinera, bland and not particularly tasty. My husband had the sole which was a fine piece of fish and well cooked but then at 19 euros, it should be. A bottle of wine was 12 euros. The bill came to 74.56 euros.

I think to justify this price, El Galeon certainly needs to up its game and present better and more imaginative food.

Certainly not fine dining, pleasant but boring, Could do better.

• Visited June 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Best seafood and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I took a special ferry trip to this restaurant based on the reviews and we were NOT disappointed. We sampled much of their fresh seafood and had what I have to admit was one of the best dinners we have ever had. The pulpo was cooked perfectly in olive oil and garlic and a blend of spices that I cannot even explain. I am not a big fan of seafood but I loved their pulpo dish!!! The shrimp was just as spectacular and so were their clams. Our main dish was a grilled hake fish that was so delicate in taste with a little crunch of sea salt. We finished off with one of the most delicious desserts I have ever had. Even though we ate well, I was not overly full, just pleasantly satisfied. Our waitress was very attentive even though the restaurant quickly got busy after we had arrived. I definitely recommend a visit to this restaurant!

• Visited September 2012