“Playasol, Roquetas de Mar”
Review of Playasol Spa Hotel

Playasol Spa Hotel
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Roquetas de Mar
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Good: great food, nice beach close to hotel, lively neighborhood, various facilities (pools, water slides, mini golf, playgrounds for kids, animations ...

Bad: no sleep on Friday and Saturday nights until 3-4 am because of extremely loud music from a nearby bar, insufficient number of elevators, staff is unwilling to sort any issue which exceeds their usual daily routine, hotel needs serious refurbishment (ants in the room, broken terrace door...)

Room Tip: Lower floor, away from beach and pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank talicni
P-Stor, Gerente at Playasol Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Guests,

We thank you for your comments to which we will bear your impressions in mind, we will work in improving the marked points in order that in a next visit your perception of the products received is totally satisfactory.

Yours sincerely,

Eusebia Martínez
Gerente Playasol Spa Hotel

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just arrived home from a 4 night stay at The Playasol Spa Hotel. We booked through Monarch Holidays and had half board. Our room was fine but a little small, it was clean and the beds were comfy, the shower was amazing! The food at the hotel was adequate, the selection wasn't great....same thing every morning for breakfast.....there was a choice of hot or cold though, we had lunch rather than evening meal as we preferred to eat 'out' in the evenings. The staff were always cheerful and helpful and when our transfer to the airport didn't materialise they arranged a taxi within 2 minutes. The pool area was lovely but we particularly liked the beach........always clean and the sun beds were sooooo comfy. Would I return to this Hotel......unfortunately no.....the reason being I wasn't very impressed with Roquetas De Mar. There just wasn't enough to do at the resort and the restaurants all served the same foods......after 4 days we had seen all there was to see.

Room Tip: All I can say is we stayed on the 6th floor and had no complaints.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bethany56

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is through them the best way we can improve the quality of our service, understanding the perception of our product and most important the quality and friendly service we provide.
We stay in your entire disposal and hope that you return to visit us in other occasions,

Eusebia Martínez
Gerente Playasol Spa Hotel

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We spent our summer holiday (august 2013.) in this hotel. You can find there everything you can expect for 4* hotel. Plus, location is good. Stuff is realy great - they arranged everything we asked. Very good choice of food for breakfast as well as for dinner. Almost every evening we were tempted what to choose (of course, in positive way). The only thing on minus side is unpleasant smell that you could experience from time to time. We didn't use AC in our room so I cannot comment it. We will go there again definitely (maybe next year).

Room Tip: We were in the wing facing north (closer to the street with the pool view) which was good for hot da...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank APredrag
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have spent several holidays at the hotel,very friendly staff ,great choice in the restaurant and the cook to order service is excellent.Being so near to the beach and shops and other restaurants mean you are not tied to one spot.
We will be there this week and will update this review then

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Michaeljheard
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel with a friend plus two teenage girls (a ladies’ trip) at the end of August, /beginning of September, 2012.

Reception
When you walk into the hotel, there is a nice open area, which is not “drop dead” impressive, but nice.

There was free wireless internet in the lobby area for your laptop or smart phone for an hour a day. If you needed it more than that, you could pay and get faster service in your room. There was a code you had to enter to get access.

There was a computer in the lobby area, which was connected to the internet and I thought it would be free, but when I sat down to try it, it cost to use it, so I didn’t .

There were three elevators—one near the reception area and two in the middle of the room area. They were quite small and would hold only 4 people (they said, anyway). It would have been helpful to have either more elevators or have them be a bit larger. There are 7 floors, so the elevator is helpful for anyone going up over the first couple of floors.

The workers at the hotel didn’t speak much English—even the reception--, which surprised me since I’ve been in hotels in Egypt, Greece, Bulgaria, and Tunesia, all where the front desk workers spoke excellent English. This is one area where they could improve. I suppose since most of their guests are Spanish, it doesn’t really matter, but the group I was with was Polish and they mostly have learned English as a second language and not Spanish.

The workers didn’t know simple things like how much the sunbeds were on the beach (while I know they don’t control that, I thought that they should be informed so they could tell the guests.)

Hotel Room
The room was small, but sufficient. We had a balcony, as I believe every room did. We could see the Mediterranean Sea but it wasn’t a direct view—had to look directly to my right, but it was there, and beautiful. Our room overlooked the back of the hotel and we could easily see the pool area. We had two beds that we were able to separate for more separate space with a table as I was with a lady friend. My daughter and her friend also had two twin beds.

We had a bathroom with a shower/tub. The water pressure was good and the hot water was nice and hot! No complaints. The maids were in every day and would take the towels if you left them on the edge of the tub. They made up the beds every day and cleaned the room.
There was a tv mounted on the wall up high. There were about 15 channels including CNN and BBC in English. I didn’t spend much time watching tv, but I could have at least watched something if I had wanted to.

There was a digital clock in the tv, visible with red digits, so that it could be seen in the dark. That was a nice perk, as I do like to know what time it is, esp. since it doesn’t get light in Spain til later in the morning than I am used to.

We had a closet and some hooks for our jackets. The electricity in the rooms were controlled by the room key cards which also opened the lock. We were given two per room, so theoretically if you were always with your partner, you could pre cool your room as normally you can’t have the a/c on while you are out because there isn’t any power in the room when the card isn’t in the slot (just inside the door). Because of not being able to pre cool the room, I doubt our room ever got below 25C, which was okay for me, but was a little warm—certainly not really, really “cool”.

One thing I loved about the room was that we each had our own lights above the bed, so I could read later in the night than my friend. It was separate from the overhead light. I really appreciated that and haven’t had that in any hotel I’ve been in such as this.

The Pool
It was a beautiful pool—actually a couple of curved pools and a slide in the middle. The pool was shared with the Playa hotel across from us, but there seemed to always been sufficient beds and places around the pool.

There was no charge for the beds and no pressure to not bring your own drinks—they just asked that there be only plastic bottles/cups around the pool area. There was a bar area where I saw people get drinks and food and bring them to their chairs. The pool area had either shaded places or places open to the sun. The sun can get really hot in Spain, so the shaded areas were actually pretty popular. It is nicely laid out with nice palm trees which were pretty.

Apparently it didn’t open til 10 am but we didn’t see a sign anywhere. My daughter tried to get in before 10 and was told that it wasn’t open yet—it seemed kind of late. (It gets light later in the morning in Spain than in Poland, so that was a bit strange to us.)

Close to the beach
The hotel is just a couple of minutes from the beach where the sunbeds were 4 Euros per day, but the lady would give you a deal if you purchased a whole week at a time—for example, my friend was going to be out for 6 days, so she paid only 3.50 Euros per day. She was given a receipt, so she could come and go as she pleased and it was still paid for.

(That was nice as another country where we were we had to pay over 8 Euros per day, or part of a day and if we left, that was it—had to pay again if we came back later the same day and the workers on the beach had no authority to give discounts.)

I thought the beach area was well kept and the workers pleasant. I highly recommend it. It was a bit of a pebbly beach (as opposed to sand) but not really rocks. You could walk on it—but you could feel that it was larger pieces of sand and not just fine sand. When we walked from the hotel to the beach, it was literally about 1-2 minutes. There was a promenade (a kind of street) but only people walked or jogged on it—no cars drove on it so there were no issues of safety.

Hotel activities
They have a mini golf course made up of 9 holes. The hotel lets you use their clubs and balls for a deposit of 10 Euros for one set (or in our case, I gave 20 Euros for three sets). You get your money back when you return the clubs. The golf course was a decent and definitely the best I’ve ever experienced in a hotel such as this one. My teens enjoyed it—we played a few times during the week.

There is a spa, but we didn’t try it, and I saw a sign indicating a pool table, but I didn’t go there.

There were some activities around the pool, but we didn’t participate in them. Thankfully the animation team wasn’t obnoxious about people participating. I’m a bit different in that when I go on vacation, I don’t expect the hotel to provide me entertainment—IOW, I don’t think animation is necessary nor do I even want it. Others are different, I know. The hotel was quiet in the evenings, for which I was thankful.

I read in some place that there were no discos in the area. While I don’t care at all about discos, I did see some not too far from the hotel, but thankfully they didn’t affect us in our rooms.

Shopping
In the hotel there was a little store, but across the street from the hotel were several souvenir shops, which were rather large.

There was also a doctor’s office and a pharmacy where I had to buy some ibuprofen for my friend. It was quite close and convenient.

There was a small supermarket where I could buy drinks and stock our refrigerator (which was in our room) with our own sodas and water for the week at a very reasonable price. It was about 300 meters from the hotel.

The Restaurant
We were half board, so we got breakfast plus one other meal—either dinner between 1:30-3:30 or between 8-10:30 pm. The food was good. There was something to please everyone.

Breakfast which was served between 8-10:30 included two kinds of juice (sorta—powdered mixes, I think, but tasty—a multi fruit juice and an orange one), fruit including melons, many kinds of sliced meats and cheeses. There were yogurts, cereals, salad, I believe and sweet breads, including donuts and croissants with chocolate in the middle.

There were many kinds of breads and cheese spreads and butter/margarine. There was a guy making fresh omelets, grilling bacon (! Delicious!) and eggs “sunny side up”. Also, crepes were available, but the line was a bit long as only one man seemed to work all of that. Breakfast was huge and delicious.

Dinner included more meat than I have ever seen in one of these places. There was always fresh meat being grilled—usually several different kinds, including chicken, pork and beef.
They also had French fries near the grilled meat.
There was also pasta and a couple different sauces available every night. They had a seafood night which included shrimp and other seafoods. I’m not a fan of fish, so I didn’t try any of the fish.

A couple of days they had a sort of pizza that may have pleased some of the kids at night.

Each day they had salads, or you could make your own and there were, in addition to the fresh grilled meat, at least two or three other meats in the warmer along with potatoes and other veggies and dishes. In addition, I didn’t notice, til the next to the last night I was there, was that they had ice cream in little containers that we could have for dessert. It was delicious and fun.

The evening meal always had lots of fruit—esp. watermelon and other kinds of melons plus apples, pears, plums, etc. There were also little cakes, but I didn’t normally try them as I don’t tend to care for most of the cakes from this part of the world—but maybe they were delicious—I just preferred the fruit and a person can only eat so much! It was incredible to have so much delicious fruit (for me the melon was superb as we get it very little here in Poland).

They didn’t pressure you if you didn’t want to purchase their drinks with HB—which we didn’t need at all with all the melon that they had available.

There is no reason for anyone to complain about the food. NONE. It was good and there was a huge variety.

Overall, I’d rate the hotel as excellent and definitely recommend it.

(I walked around and took notes of various things all week, thinking about the review I was going to write since there were very few for this hotel in English.)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
15  Thank curiousinpoland
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed at Playasol for a week by the end of June, with my wife and son (10 yrs). Didn't like neither the hotel or the Roquetas beach.
# BEACH: Roquetas isn't a sandy beach. It is a kind of dark rubble and even the water seems dark. We prefer white or gold sand ... However we went to a beach near San Jose (Playa de Los Genoveses) and this one is fantastic ... but you have to drive 60 kms to get there!
# HOTEL: It is an "industrial" hotel but this wasn't a real problem for us as we are used to it. The pool area is an hell and all other reviews here on Tripadvisor have enough detail about it. Food and main bar are reasonable and in spite of hotel manager comments here on Tripadvisor regarding the "11 days menu cycle" the buffet is really repetitive although the quality and variety is good. Staff is very professional at front desk, bars and restaurant reception but personal working at restaurant room need lots of training in spite of the hard work. The room was very good because i choose a Junior Suite. When we arrived i tried to upgrade to Playa Suites but children are not allowed ... didn't undertand why as these suites seemed to be empty all the week. Also the parking is a huge problem and when we arrived (Saturday) there wasn't a place. I had to spend 1 hour in the streets around to find a place. Hotel parking has about 40 places for more than 200 rooms!! Some hotel guests seemed to came out of the caves eating steaks with their hands, licking the cutlery at buffet and the common disrespect on the lines. This isn't hotel's fault but definitely it is not our scene.

I have mixed feelings regarding the All inclusive pack. Forget the manager comments here at tripadvisor regarding food selection out of lunch and dinner hours. It is a joke ... Wines at the restaurant are quite good. Rum brands are very good. Soft drinks included: Pepsi, Seven Up, Fanta, bottles of water. But the surprise was that not even a cockatil is included!!! For example if you lke "Piña Colada" and don't want to pay an extra, ask for a glass of rum on the rocks and another glass with pineapple juice with coconut. It is ridiculous!!! So if you plan to spend some time at the beach or out of the hotel better to have breakfast only or half board at the most.

THE WORST: Parking, pool and hotel guests.
THE BEST: "Habana de Noche" bar in the main street (100 mts from Playasol) was our escape from the hotel. We had a great time with Eddy and Yudi.
OVERALL: I only consider to return to Roquetas to visit Eddy and Yudi at "Habana de Noche"!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank PPCLisbon
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I think hotel Playasol is more appropriate for families with kids than for couples. I was there with my boyfriend, we were looking for some clubs to enjoy ourselves, but there are just many small restaurants or souvenir shops in this destination, no disco club. We have seen older people there, because the destination is very calm and peaceful. But the beach is gorgeous, with crystal clear water and also shower and WC.
Playasol has animation team for kids, they entertain your kids all day long, except "siesta" from 1pm to 4pm. They play with them, dance with them, make shows for the hotel guests like Flamenco night, Bingo, etc. Women are excited about exercising classes - zumba, toning, aerobics, aquagym, etc.
As I wrote in the title, hotel for families, not for young people who are searching for amusement. Destination for those who want to relax and read books.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple