“Cold in winter, probably great in summer.”
Review of Trasierra

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cazalla de la Sierra
Trasierra
West Sussex
“Cold in winter, probably great in summer.”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Visiting in January, we found the heating did not work in our bedroom and although there are heaters placed strategically everywhere, it is a struggle to get the place warm.
The food was good, though and the family very friendly and interesting.
I am sure in summer it would be wonderful if you like somewhere with lots of character.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PookieWestSussex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at Trasierra this year and found it a delightful place. Wonderfully relaxing and an easy place to simply lose yourself in the warmth, food, surroundings. The staff are of the highest calibre and although much is made of the family I found the staff to be the most excellent and sweet in their dealings with us at all times and they really contributed enormously to our experience.

It is a quirky place, albeit a wonderfully luxurious quirkiness. At times it can feel a bit like being invited to a house party where you know none of the conventions or expectations. I would encourage you to get past this and simply enjoy everything that there is on offer.

Undoubtedly the biggest weakness is the poor communications pre visit. We could have easily given up and not bothered such was the terrible responsiveness but we were delighted that we persisted. Surely this cannot be a good way to run things? I suspect that to Charlotte and Gioconda they might imagine this charming whereas it might more often come across as simply rude.

Sometimes this poor communication is seen in the day to day experience at Trasierra. Why no introduction to the place in the (gorgeous) rooms? Bizarrely these are actually found in the pool room and turn out to be hopelessly out of date!

Having said all of that it is a truly beautiful place and the food is some of the very best I have ever eaten in a hotel. We had a brilliant stay and would very happily return so five stars but actually it could be 6 out of 5 if the terrible communications were sorted out!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert B
La Canada Flintridge, California
Reviewed January 30, 2012

trasierra is a fantasy. from the moment of arrival, the staff and surroundings make a visit unforgettable. the decor is utterly gorgeous, and at the same time utterly comfortable. the bedding is sumptuous, the food uber-local and divine.understand that this is not a marriott/hilton experience. it's as though you've been invited to the country estate of lord and lady some-one-or-other. there may not be 24-hour room service, and an occasional light bulb may burn out, but the level of comfort, style and well-being you will enjoy beats the contents of the most fabulously stocked minibar!

Room Tip: every room is fabulously distinctive--you couldn't pick a favorite! our guests went door-to-door...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank chezcherie
Glendale, CA
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Spent three days at Trasierra and both my husband and I wanted to move in. Glorious! We had the room named "Nueva" - an upper corner w/ a porch overlooking red tile roofs in one direction and towards the Moorish cathedral tower in the other. Impeccable furnishings, luxurious touches - the robes, the water bottle cozies, the tissues tied in a stack with a gold ribbon. Every moment at Trasierra was a privilege.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank californiatraveler53
London
Reviewed July 11, 2011

This is my third visit to Trasierra and I hope not the last.

If you enjoy beautiful landscapes, fabulous food, creative interiors and deliciously crisp bed linens, this could be the place for you. Conversely, if you crave in room telephones, TV's and ipod docking stations and a fast pace of life, this place is wasted on you.

I've visited in late Spring (peaceful walks in the flower covered hills surrounding Trasierra), July (hot days, long light evenings, dining outside and cool swims in the unheated pool) and early Autumn (warm days, cool nights and dining by candle light by a roaring fire).

I have been there in a couple and alone and, either way, it's bliss.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Voyager027London
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Totally fell in love with the Owners and the place as a whole. To me this is a good description of real Luxury. Totally relaxed, Amazing home cooking with organic foods, Fresh air, wild nature, very confortable rooms and very quiet and peaceful. I intended to do some visites around the area but never managed to leave the place

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Navi_11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I must state at once that my trip to Trasierra was actually back in May 2009, there fore some of my criticisms may well have been addressed by now. If so, I apologise in advance, but I've always meant to post my comments about my visit and have finally got round to it now.

Basically, we were a bit disappointed in this place. We'd read several articles in the posh English papers about it and grabbed the chance to visit for a few days during a longer trip to the Andalucian coast. There's no denying that the setting is beautiful; the countryside is gorgeous and the rambling old buildings of the hotel are fascinating and idiosyncratic. On arrival, I definitely thought 'wow!' Our rooms were exquisitely and imaginatively furnished and immaculately clean and though mine was rather cramped, my companion's was vast (I guess it's pot luck).

The articles we'd read emphasised the point that it is run rather as a sort of private house party, rather than a more conventional hotel. And while that's an appealing, if slightly snooty concept, as far as we were concerned it didn't quite work. It was just a little bit TOO casual and laid-back; a bit more awareness that it is, after all, essentially a hotel would have been appreciated - we'd have liked just a bit more attention than we got. Most of the time there were literally no staff to be seen; I'm not sure what we'd have done in any emergency, especially at night. During our few days, the only ones we met were the very nice woman who was cooking our (extremely good\) dinner and the sweet waitress who served it. We never saw the owner at all, except on the morning we were putting our cases in the car to leave and she made a cameo appearance.

The swimming-pool, while wonderfully situated, was heart-stoppingly cold even in late May. The small breakfast-room, run on a 'help yourself' basis was absolutely fine as long as no more than about six people were using it at the same time - but one morning there were about a dozen at once and it was almost impossible to get anything to eat. I was particularly amazed, and very concerned, by the fact that there were no locks on the bedroom doors, most of which opened directly onto the outside courtyards of the building. It was therefore impossible to protect my valuables (phone, cameras, credit cards, passport etc..) from any criminal from the nearby town who might have got to hear about this little idiosyncracy - or indeed from the unexpected intrusion of a maid. Though as I said above, such things may have been rectified by now.

Some of our fellow guests (mostly Brits of a certain age, income and class-consciousness) were serious walkers and I think this place would be an excellent base for that sort of holiday. But the nearby town isn't terribly interesting, which means there isn't much else to do apart from lying by the ice-cold swimming-pool and read - perfectly pleasant for two or three days but certainly no longer. In the end, we told a polite fib and left a day early.

It feels ungracious to knock any establishment where they're trying to offer something different and I realise that many of Trasierra's devotees would be horrified by the notion that it needs to notch up its professional act a few degrees. However, it ain't exactly cheap and while not suggesting it should sacrifice its undoubted essential charm, I really do think it needs to do that. Overall, a bit of a let-down.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends