All reviews washing machine spa treatments infrared sauna steam room personal trainer plunge pool local supermarket rental car living room high speed lovely spa visit this place wifi network underground parking small dishwasher hotel guests sun loungers
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited the Sentido AMA Islantilla from the 8th September for a weeks stay. We had an early flight so from arrival at the hotel we were tired and ready for our room to relax! Our holiday was booked through Thomas Cook and from flight to transfer everything ran incredibly smoothly which is all you can hope for! We were advised by the Thomas Cook rep that we would be given our room no later than 4pm however we arrived at 12pm, we were greeted at the reception by Filipe who was incredibly friendly and helpful! He shook our hands and welcomes us to the hotel and proceeded to ask us how our flight and transfer was all in all. Filipe advised us that an apartment had become available last minute (we originally were booked for a standard double) and we were excited for an upgrade! The apartment block is a short walk away from the hotels entrance however once we entered the apartment we were both a little disappointed as it wasn’t what we had imagined, it was a very large space but a little basic we thought, we rang down to reception and spoke to Filipe and explained that we appreciated the offer but would really like our original room if it was still available - he explained that this would be fine and we went back to reception. Our room wasn’t ready when we got back as it needed cleaning so we left our suitcases in the baggage room and went for lunch in the buffet restaurant. However once we were given a room we were then upgraded to one of their premium rooms which was incredibly clean and spacious! Overall we only ate out once throughout our weeks stay at a local pizza place in Islantilla which was delicious and fantastic value! (Pavarotti Pizzería Restaurante) all in all at Sentido AMA the food was of a good standard, at breakfast there was always a choice hot dishes, pancakes, churros, fresh fruit, yoghurts and cereals and a continental option, unfortunately with all meal times of the day it was a case that majority of the hot food was often luke warm or colder! The salad bar is always of good variety and the breads are very good too! Like most all inclusive buffets the food became a little samey and all too familiar choices were picked at every meal however you can appreciate the amount of people the chefs are accommodating for on a daily basis!
Overall the restaurant became busier towards the end of our stay as more guests arrived and often people had to queue for a table so you have to make sure you leave something of yours on the table so it doesn’t get taken!
The gym area is quite small but enough equipment for people to use, the outside space was useful too as the gym itself was quite hot each time we used it! We didn’t use the spa but did use the jacuzzi and indoor pool but didn’t really like wearing the swimming hats you have to purchase so used the outdoor pool everyday instead. As a young couple we came away for a relaxing week which we definitely had! The pool areas were clean but very cold! There were always plenty of sun loungers too which didn’t mean getting up too early to claim some! The pool bar staff tended to be the same woman (unsure of her name!) but she was incredibly friendly and always smiley, the drinks available for all inclusive were of great variety including local and big branded alcoholic and soft drinks always in great Spanish measures!!
Overall there wasn’t much entertainment aside from karaoke, a magician and some pool side games/sports and there wasn’t much going on in the little town by the beach (you can catch the train down there too!) however if you’re there just for a week to unwind I think it’s perfect! This hotel is incredibly modern and clean! The staff are very friendly who clearly work incredibly hard, would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family as it can be enjoyed by all! Ps, the little family of kittens who come out to play in the mornings and evenings were definitely a highlight!!

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had a lovely time at this hotel. Stayed AI and the food was very good. Staff very professional. My grandchildren loved the land train to the beach and the pools were all very clean. Entertainment quite poor. Some decent live music would have been nice but this is not an exclusive complaint to this hotel. We normally stay in five star hotels and have been disappointed with evening entertainment and I really don't know why that is. We had two of the two bed apartments. One was perfect and the other one was not. The bathroom needed a refurbished shower area and ants were present in the bathroom. The hotel was quick to respond and offered to deal with the ants but due to slight language barrier we declined just in case heavy duty chemicals were used and we did not want this exposure to two small children. We asked for a room change but it was ignored. We had a problem with one of our hire cars and the hotel staff were very quick to help us and solve the problem. Thank you. We were surprised at the 12 Euro per night car parking charges so we only used this facility for one night and then parked on the car clogged streets around the hotel. The hotel car park was almost empty. I have never paid to park a car at a hotel before but would have found a lesser charge more acceptable. For me this is a deal breaker.

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First impression of the Sentido Ama Islantilla was great, very impressive looking at the end of a one hour coach transfer from Faro. Check in went reasonably smoothly until we tried to find our apartment using the verbal instruction given to us.
After 15 minutes of walking around in circles in the dark , it was after 10pm remember, we stopped a cleaner and asked her where our block was, she didn't speak English but showed us to the wrong block anyway !
We eventually found the lift which was located at the back of the block.
Once inside the apartment things were looking up.
Lovely two bedroom , very spacious apartment. ( A welcome pack for the dishwasher etc would have been nice). Safe and wi-fi were free.
We left the apartment in search of food, the buffet style restaurant was in full flow at 11pm. We asked a waiter if we could buy a meal, once again he didn't understand English but enough to say "pasta and drink 20euros."
Self service meal ( 4 start hotel ? ) and they charged us 6 eu extra for two glasses of wine. When questioned about the charge he gave us another two.
Morning came, breakfast beckoned, same buffet restaurant, no tables free, wait for a table. Table becomes free waitress wipes table crumbs onto floor .
We sit on white chairs with crumb encrusted cushions. Not a good start.
Once again none of the staff appeared to speak English when asked for anything. Do you see a pattern here ?
Outside swimming pools were lovely but the semi-Olympic pool was freezing! Later on that week we swam in the Atlantic and it was warmer !
Inside pool was much better and quieter. You have to buy a swimming cap though. 3 eu each.
They run a small train into Islantilla every hour which is a nice touch but the service stops at 8pm. Considering nothing opens till 9pm this isn't much use. Thankfully a taxi costs 8eu to get back to the hotel, but difficult to order as taxi office doesn't speak English. You just order by phone and hope it turns up. Don't bother to ask a local to help phone a taxi because no one seems to speak English !
The restaurants in Islantilla were all similar, seafood , seafood and more seafood ! Which is ok if you like seafood .
Entertainment at the hotel consisted of Karaoke on one night, nothing for the rest of the week. Not exactly in keeping with a 4 star hotel. We did go to El Rompido one night to see a Flamenco show which would have been ideal entertainment at the hotel. I thoroughly recommend the Flamenco show if you can get a seat. Well worth the 20eu which includes wine tasting afterwards.
Car hire is essential if you want to see different places and they do deliver to the hotel . (Bear in mind Islantilla is little more than a small commercial shopping complex surrounded by hotels and golf courses.)Take care with the fuel level though , if you stop to ask anyone where the gasolina station is they don't know and don't understand English !
Parking is also an issue as you have to park outside the complex unless you want to pay 12 eu per night to park inside the grounds.
Our biggest gripe was with the Thomas Cook transfer back to Faro ! After hanging around all day the coach appeared and off we went.
The coach was stifling but for some reason the air-con was off. The driver then proceeded to take us the long route avoiding the toll roads, which took twice as long . We know this as we drove the route earlier in the week ourselves.
By the end of the journey we were half dead with de-hydration. The only thing that stopped me from strangling the driver was my wife's fear that we might miss our plane!

So to end the story I'll let you into a little secret. When leaving one of the waiters shook my hand and said "goodbye signor". I said goodbye and he asked where in England I came from ? I said " Not English, Ecosse " . He said to me " You should have said that earlier in the week signor "
Make of that what you will !

Room Tip: Hire a car !
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris c
SENTIDOAma, Director General at Sentido Ama Islantilla, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

First of all, apologize for what happened according to you in our hotel. It is true that not all the staff speaks English, but if those who are expensive the public speak it, not perfect, but at least they understand it and can express themselves. It's strange that there was never a boss in the buffet restaurant. I go there myself to difernetes hours every day and I know that the Maitre and the second Maitre are there, I see them. But even so it may be that you never saw us ...

As I say, I apologize for your bad experience, I not only speak English, but also other languages ​​such as German, French and some Italian as well as Spanish and Catalan. There are some components of my template that are Dutch and there is also an English language.

I am sorry that Thomas Cook's transfer was not to his liking and from here I also apologize for it.

I will encourage all my staff to improve the English language for the future, as it is important for our clients and I will send a letter to the transfer company so that the next time I put the air conditioning on.

Thank you very much for your writing. I find it suggestive.

Best regards,

Pau Bori Soucheiron

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We recently visited this beautiful hotel at the start of September. The hotel was really clean and the staff where always happy to help.
We checked in late as our flight was delayed but the restaurant served food till 10:30pm.
Our apartment was clean and spacious with stunning views over the golf course.
The pool area was tidy and had plenty of sun beds.
We also used the spa area which was really nice, the gym is well equipped and the separate area for the sauna and plunge pool was lovely. This was an additional cost but was well worth it.

Whilst we where here a booked in for two treatments in the Spa. My first treatment was the Hammam therapy this was done by Soufiane, id highly recommend this treatment I felt so refreshed and my skin was so soft after I finished.
My second treatment was a 30min sports massage for my back and shoulders, as to my delight this was done by Soufiane again. He got rid of the knots in my shoulders, he is very attentive and brilliant at what he does.
I’d just go back for the massages if I could.

If your wanting a relaxing holiday I’d definitely recommend this place.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Jade21-5
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Two days ago we arrived for a week stay. The all team is very vc eficient, friendly and with a smile. Everything works very VC well, so well managed. We are iin a two bedrooms apartment with central air con, living room, corridor, bathroom, and kitchen VC with all you need, including dish washer, wash machine, iron, ironboard. TV in the living room and master bedroom. The food (savoury) is excellent in both Ostras buffet restaurant and Fadano a la carte restaurant (set menu). The only thing that let the food down are:the deserts, below the level of the food in general, and the fact that the eggs at breakfast are luke warm to cold. They need to sort these out. The swimming pool has rails with booth stairs and ramp, perfect for people with slow mobility like myself. No annoying music by the pool, neither, so perfect relaxing atmosphere. The spa facilities are great but we did not use it yet. The hotel has a small train to the local shopping centre and the beach, which we used today, very pleasant. The mix of nationalities in the hotel is nice. Lovely temperature now, 27/29C with sunny days and fresh mornings.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple