“1.st. class hollyday with golf”

Islantilla Golf Resort Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Islantilla
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I `l be back some day.First class hotel.The rooms and the food vas exelent.Golfcourse :second to none.
There are people of all nations.It was a cosy feeling speaking with all this people.They vere all comming to have a good hollyday.And they get it!Me and my pal was in a good company all the week.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a wiev to the golfcourse.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Islantilla Golf Resort was our second stop in our three-week-long trip to Spain, just after Madrid. We are a family of four: two adults and two children.

Booking was done through a Spanish travel agency, and we were meeting our Spanish friends there, two couples with children.

The place is huge and is perfect for families. There is a big swimming pool (a nice wooden bridge divides the children/non-swimmers from the adults/swimmers), plenty of green grass, a mini-golf course (other than the main golf course across the street), plenty of places to sit and have a drink, the main buffet restaurant, and a restaurant by the side of the pool. There's also a beauty parlor.

The room for four was big enough, with a very nice balcony with a view on the swimming pool and adjoining grounds. Bathroom was fine, with adequate toiletries, and TV had adequate channels, though maybe less than expected from a four-star hotel. Room was clean and well kept.

A small train takes guests, for free, and on a convenient schedule, to the beach, situated about 15 minutes' walk from the hotel, and back. There, the hotel has a club with a restaurant and swimming pool as well.

The showpiece of the resort, however, is its buffet breakfast and dinner (included in the price). Simply fantastic. We've been to many great hotels, but this hotel's buffet is huge. Anything you can think of you will find, and all prepared superbly. In addition, we had a Mexican food night, an Italian food night, and a seafood night.

Entertainment is also provided for the guests: if you stay for a while near the swimming pool, you will be offered (for free) aqua-gym, yoga, and stretching lessons on the spot. At night, after the dinner, guests sit outside near the lawn and enjoy various shows (songs and dances).

Now for the cons:
First, the room safe is not for free; you have to pay about 15 euros per week. Not much, granted, but it's the first time I hear of a non-free safe inside the room.

Second, the internet centre (two machines) downstairs is not for free: it's 1 euro for every 15 minutes. With all the nice things offered, I don't see why they would be tight on the internet (free wifi in the rooms, though).

Third, and most seriously (and puzzlingly as well), the lights on all hotel balconies are turned off at 23:30, with no way to turn them on. So if you're outside at night reading your favourite book, at 23:30 ...zap! you're in the dark. I asked the reception and they said that yes, that's what they do, and didn't give me a good reason except that that's what the hotel manager wants, despite numerous complaints from guests. They candidly offered me a personal source of light (a flashlight or a portable light?) just for reading, but I declined.

So, all in all, a very good hotel with a Gargantuan breakfast and dinner, entertainment, and relaxation, with lots of space for kids. If the shortcomings mentioned above are fixed, this will definitely be an all-out winner hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BeirutPop
Reviewed August 10, 2012

good hotel food good rooms comfy. Fantastic for golf as it was a few yards away to the club house. i was able to get all early morning tee times which gave me time in the afternoon to do other things.

very enjoyable

m

Room Tip: car hie essental
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EnglandToffee1
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have just returned from a 14 day holiday at this resort and before I get into the content of this review I would like to say we enjoyed the golf.

However, that is pretty much all I can say I enjoyed. We arrived at the hotel and were speedily checked in by reception without being told where things were, what was available, where we could go etc. This was after a very good reception at the airport by Sovereign and an excellent private car transfer.

We then struggled with our suitcases and golf bags (without any offer of help), and the next thing I knew I was picking my jaw off the ground. (or rather the shabby, stained, tatty carpet of our room).

This room can only be described as bare, tatty, sad, depressing and very very unwelcoming. Stained scuffed walls, stained old carpet, battered old furniture, no decoration whatsoever i.e. pictures.

We rang our Sovereign concierge who spoke to the Manager and she then advised that we speak to him directly.

We explained our disappointment and the fact that this was in no way a four star room we had been placed in. His response, and I quote - "there are lots of people who ask for this room, and it is no worse than any of the others, perhaps your expectations of a 4 star hotel are too high"

It was clear we were not going to get anywhere with him and so we resigned ourselves to spending as much time as possible out of our room.

This resort is a golf and spa resort but for the whole 14 days we were there the jacuzzi was completely empty and given the amount of children runing around day and night there is nothing restful about the place.

The adult entertainment consisted of 4 nights where the same lady sang the same songs almost in the same order. After listenting to her for the third time we decided to go to our room and play cards.

At 11.00 p.m. (on the dot) the balcony lights went off and we were plunged into complelte darkness. I rang to ask if they could be switched back on only to be told that they were on an automatic switch. Well whilst I am no electronics wizz kid even I know that if they are automated to be switched off at a certain time then this time can be changed but this was obviously too difficult for them to comprehend or they could not be bothered. The lady singing however did not have an automatic off switch and she went on until well after midnight.

The rest of the 14 days was a childrens mini disco - you guessed it - the same songs, in the same order!

The food was reasonable and plentiful but we were served raw chicken on two occasions and my partner is just getting over a 4 day stomach upset after eating a burger which he discovered to be almost raw (once he had eaten part of it).

I can understandthat anyone reading this review thinks I am an habitual moaner but in reality that is absolutely not the case, I have never beore complained or indeed written a review. However, whilst I can cope with things not being perfect or indeed things not being exactly as descibed I cannot tolerate a Hotel manager (Ulises) whose attitude was one of complete lack of sympathy or understanding. It was almost as though he thought - tough you are here now and there is nothing I need to do.

If you are still undecided about where to go on your precious holiday then I hope this review helps with your decision making.

Room Tip: If you do decide to go here then make sure you are not given room 314 - although apparently this roo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Jacky P
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for golfing holidays last year and in 2012. My observations are as follows:

Location
The hotel is situated in a complex built around the 27 hole golf course. Food and drinks can be bought at the hotel and the golf clubhouse opposite, but there are no independent bars or restaurants in the immediate area. This is not too much of a problem in the daytime, as the hotel provides a link to the beach area, which has lots of bars and places to eat. This transfer only takes 5 minutes or so, runs every half hour and is very reliable. It’s actually a ‘land train’, which is fun, especially for kids. Only problem is, this service stops at 7.45pm, so not good for coming back after a meal or drinks in the evening. You can walk to the hotel from the beachside commercial centre; it only takes 20 minutes or so, but you have to cross a roundabout and there’s no footpath on some sections, so not ideal.

Rooms
These are variable. The room I stayed in on my first trip was bright, modern and hard to fault. The room I got on my second trip was smaller, darker and generally had a rather tired feel to it. Having said that, the air conditioning worked perfectly well, shower was powerful and there was a well stocked mini bar, as well as a modern TV. There were a fair number of English language TV channels too, with ITV 1 and 2 available in addition to the usual array of BBC news, CNN etc.

Beds
Rather oddly, the hotel only has single beds. You can push these together, but there is no way to link them, so not great for romantic liaisons and generally quite uncomfortable for single sleepers used to a double bed or larger.

The choice for breakfast is good. Tea or coffee is brought to the table and there is a wide selection of bread, fruits, cereal, cakes, juices etc. There is also a cooking station where fried eggs and omelets are made to order. However, on several occasions the ‘chef’ was nowhere to be seen for fairly prolonged periods, causing considerable consternation to those seeking a hot breakfast. Hot bacon is freshly cooked and piled up on a hot plate for self-service, but much of this is on the burnt side of crispy, although I assume it can also be cooked to order if you’re dissatisfied.

The quality of food in the evening seemed to have declined since my first visit to the hotel last year, but there’s still plenty of choice and good salad options. Meat and fish are freshly cooked on a hotplate throughout the evening, but they do tend to use huge amounts of salt as part of the cooking process, which can be very unpalatable, even for salt lovers such as myself. Overall the quality of the meat is poor and they rely heavily on cheap cuts of pork cooked in various ways, although lamb, beef and venison were also available on some evenings. Friday is ‘seafood evening’, so there’s a wider selection of crab, shell fish etc.

Staff
Reception staff were fine and always did their best to help, although their English was not as good as you may be used to in more cosmopolitan hotels. This stems from the fact that the whole resort is very much geared-up for Spanish holiday makers, rather than foreign tourists. The same is true for the waiting staff in the restaurant, although they always did their best to communicate in a cheerful manner.

Cleanliness
Can’t fault the hotel here. To my eyes the hotel was always spotless and the room maids did an excellent job.

Golf
Love the golf course here, and very handy as the first tee is only seconds away from the hotel. As alluded to earlier, there are 27 holes, giving a choice of 3 sets of 9. The courses are challenging in parts and well looked after as far as I could see. When I played, in early June, it was also very quiet and easy to book a round, even at weekends. Buggy hire is 35 Euros, electric trolley 10 Euros and pull trolley 5 Euros. My golf was part of a package, so not sure how much a single round costs, but I got the impression it wasn’t too exorbitant.

Summary
Overall, I very much enjoyed my 2 stays at this hotel and would visit again, despite the lack of double beds – assuming there’s no further decline in catering standards.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ReviewMeisterUK
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The hotel and the golf courses were very good. Our room was spacious, kept very clean and was very comfortable.
The food was excellent, plenty of it and as good a choice at breakfast and dinner as I've come acroos. The theme dinners were very good too. I loved the Italian night and especially the desserts. Quite a challenge to try them all. The waiting and bar staff were friendly and efficient.
However, when we went down to the centre of Islantilla, despite the size of the place, with a huge beach and lengthy promenade, there was hardly anybody there; very few shops, and only a few bars open. It seems to be open May to October only.
So, on your rest day, there's not too much else to do. We played golf again!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the putting green.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GRMacG
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stayed at this golf complex in May 2012 as part of a party of 9 golfers. The room was spacious but fairly basic which wasnt a problem really as most of the time you are playing golf or spending time in the bars. Great pool area but very quiet for early May. The food is plentiful and fairly good (but dont get caught smuggling bread rolls out for your round of golf or you will have to pay for it). Golf courses are testing but well looked after and can be enjoyed by all handicaps high or low.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank TravellingTaffyKevo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islantilla
Puerto Antilla Grand Hotel
#1 of 5 in El Rompido
Occidental Isla Cristina
Occidental Isla Cristina
#2 of 5 in Isla Cristina

Been to Islantilla Golf Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!