“Good service, very average food”

Restaurante O Pescador
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The restaurant "O Pescador" is one of the oldest and best restaurants in the Azores. Always with the mission of serving with excellence our customers, serving the best of what is done in the Azores.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good service, very average food”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here a couple of times before but some time ago now and it just wasn't as good as it has been in the past!
Service is good and the wines are local and very palatable at an affordable price but if you are in a group larger than five you seem to wait an eternity for your food and when it does arrive its luke warm and overcooked! Such as shame as they are so warm and inviting here!
I would go back just because of the friendly staff snd nice wines really... !

• Polish first
Praia, Cape Verde
“They take tourists for a ride”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The food was good, but the bill was a surprise. I asked about the price of the appetizers on the table when I arrived-- they said this was included in the cover. I chose from what appeared to be a special menu-- dinner and dessert for a fixed price. The final bill was almost twice what I expected-- the "cover-included" appetizers were charged on top of a ten-dollar cover charge (for bread?). The dessert was was charged separately on top of what looked to me like a fixed-price menu--another twenty dollars. The local bottled water was marked up 200% over what I paid down the street--but this was not a surprise. When asked about the over-charges, the reply seemed to indicate the special price was only for regulars-- which seems to translate into "tourists get ripped off". Before the bill arrived I was happy enough to plan coming back several times-- but the ride at the end left a bitter taste in the mouth--overwhelming what had been an excellent dessert. I won't be going back. Have any of the other reviewers had a similar experience?

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Samuel M
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the time or money”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

From the name we thought the seafood would be good. We're from Santa Barbara California where we know good seafood. This was not! The swordfish was about 1 cm thick and cooked to the point of being dry. My cod was 30% bone covered with onions sautéed in too much olive oil and boiled potatoes with no herbs or spices. The steaks at our table were overdone and not the best quality. Atmosphere was good, but the waiter gave no suggestions or description of the meals. We would not return to this restaurant.

1 Thank PapaKJimbo
California
“Excellent Fish restaurant”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Steps away from Hotel Priaia Marina. Food excellent, service excellent and very accomodating. Staff very willing to explain dishes. Never felt rushed.

Visited August 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

A brief stopover after a long flight requires good food to revitalize you. Our group had the pleasure of dining at O Pescador last night on the recommendation of our cab driver (a crazy South African who was auditioning for Formula 1) and we were not disappointed. They staff handled our group of 13 without any problems at all.

The wines we ordered were almost exclusively local. The white, Magma, was a perfect pairing with the fish that came later. The steaks were all 50% off, and those of our crew who went in that direction were happy as clams with their steaks, but I wanted something swimming.

I started off with the garlic prawns. Smaller shrimp in a tasty garlicy, mustardy, sauce arrived and they were delicious. The chunks of roasted garlic and sun dried tomato in the sauce were the a wonderful compliment to the sweetness of the shrimp. The portion size was perfect for an appetizer. Down the table came a plate of cold whole prawns, which were amazing.

Next was the roasted codfish for the main course. The cod was partially bone-in and roasted with a liberal amount of salt, which made for a wonderful taste. It was topped with a sautéed onion medley that gave some sweetness to the dish to balance the saltiness of the fish. The olive oil poached haricots verts were a delicious accompaniment. The small roasted potatoes were a bit overcooked, but by the time I made it through the enormous piece of fish and the beans, I had little to no room left for the potatoes anyways.

The prices were very reasonable. The fish entree came in at a very reasonable €14. The appetizer was a bit small for its €8 price tag, especially considering the enormous mound of cold prawns that carried the same cost that came down the table later on. The wines prices were ridiculously cheap. Quality, local, 750ml bottles for €12 is almost unheard of back in the States and we took advantage of this and had at least 8 bottles open on our table.

Definitely a stop on my next visit to this wonderful island, whenever that may occur.

• Visited October 2012