“Nothing fancy but no complaints” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Gulliver
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bascharage
Devon
“Nothing fancy but no complaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Not the sort of hotel for a long stay but for a one nighter it was fine. Clean and comfortable and friendly, efficient staff (especially Ahmed on the front desk). Really good food once we got over the language barrier and got what we ordered. Road at front can be a bit noisy so ask for a room at the back overlooking the car park.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking car park are a lot quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lord_Brett_Sinclair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Nice decent place! Whats best is the restaurant! Excellent food, very friendly staff which never misses to put a smile on your face! The meals they serve are high-class, taste is guaranteed! Been there many many times and will go back there many many times!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BeschP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My car breakdown in Luxembourg on a Friday evening and the UK Insurance decided to keep us over the night in Luxembourg untill the Garage will repair my car. The Recovery truck came and the driver said he's gonna take us to a Hotel near the Garage. We were a bit scared of what Hotel we will find there as I had my baby with us. From outside we find a very welcoming Hotel, new building... The Receptionist was a very friendly and helpful Lady, thank you. She gave us a room to accomodate all of us, a Junior Suite with a sofa for my mum, as it was the last big room available. She said to go in the back of this Hotel in the new building... When we get there, surprise! Everything very modern and new built. The room... I couldn't believe my eyes, that really put a smile on pur tired faces! All room was brand new, duvet cover, carpet, bathroom! The bed was the most comfortable bed I ever slept in! I would recommend this Hotel to any traveller. Breakfast was great too! It's next to the French and German border so if you are transiting these countries and you need to rest in a comfortable room, this Hotel will not dissapoint you. Thank you

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Simonelle_c
Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel and from the exterior we expected a lot more. Approached a very smart looking man at reception who failed to greet us with a hello or even a smile, say please or thank you and made us feel an inconvenience. Further to this, he was rude about the fact that he could not take a payment for the room before we got there. I explained to him that it was a MasterCard which I cannot use for online purchases but I only expected to use for the booking of the hotel! ( as per online booking, no payment would have been made until we arrived at the hotel ). Once we found our hotel room (with no direction) we were very disappointed at this basic room, two beds pushed together to be called a double room as well as the dated look.

After unpacking we asked for direction to the center of Luxembourg, this again inconvenienced him and he gave us a rough idea of where the bus was I catch.

After a lovely afternoon in the town we reluctantly went back to the hotel and couldn't sleep due to the movement of furniture upstairs. It was clear it wasn't another guest as it went on for about half hour and started again at 2am!!! Too tired and annoyed to ask them what it was, I decided to wait until the morning.

When we went to check out, another rude lady who had a face that looked like it was too painful for her to smile, took the key off us, muttered thanks and walked into the office.

Due to travelling around Europe for 2 weeks, we were too much in a rush, too tired and above all too flabbergasted at the way we had been treated to complain there and then. However since getting home, we are sending an email to management to see what was going on. It's certainly not even the cheapest hotel!!!!

Overpriced, rude staff, bad sleep, dated and above all a uncomfortable experience here.

Would never return, and do not suggest anyone else to. Get a hostel instead!!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nomnom22
South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here in November as part of a business delegation visiting Bascharage. There are two buildings, the first appears to be the original hotel with the reception, a restaurant (excellent) and bar and two floors with rooms. Behind this main building is a large (and free) parking area with a second building accommodating meeting rooms on the ground floor and guest rooms on the two floors above this. This appears to be a newly built section and I would imagine more modern than the original building.

I stayed in a room on the top floor of the original building (the lift only goes up to the second floor - take note if you have large/heavy luggage - and there is no porter) and the room was fairly small as a result of the sloped ceiling (being an attic room). The room was very clean, neat and fairly modern with the usual flat-screen TV (excellent channel selection), firm double bed and more than adequate wardrobe and other storage space. Good position and quantity of wall sockets to charge your laptop, mobile, etc simultaneously. There is a work desk which also has a minibar fridge and a kettle with a selection of Twinings teas. The bathroom has a shower, toilet and wash hand basin and not much else (not that you really need anything else).

The hotel uses perimeter sensors in the public spaces to conserve energy (mostly lighting) when areas are not in use. I do appreciate when an establishment exercises resource management in this way.

We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel restaurant two mornings and evenings respectively and dinner was, by European prices and standards, absolutely superb. I understand that the restaurant is run by an Italian family (I speak under correction) and this shows in the pizza & pasta dishes. I did have more traditional French duck dishes however and while not the best I've had, certainly high up on my list.

Breakfast was average though - In my humble opinion.

The hotel provides complimentary WiFi access in the restaurant, lobby and bar downstairs, and all other areas have paid WiFi access. The WiFi coupon can be purchase at the front desk. What really impressed me here was that I had difficulty accessing their complimentary WiFi on the morning we checked-out which understandably was due to an Apple-specific issue with the hotspots, and the duty manager reset the hotspots after which it worked. He also refunded my colleagues WiFi coupon as he never used it in the end.

We also required a couple of prints, which the duty manager kindly printed out for us at no charge. This, to me, is going beyond the call of duty and raises my overall perception value of the establishment. After all, the people running the business speak volumes of the establishment itself.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floor are attic rooms have a sloped ceiling making them feel cramped. Try for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Cleaning is fine, but quality of furniture, carpets,....is poor. Even rooms have very poor lighting and sad decoration. Actually it should be a 2 star hotel.

Place is really calm and quiet. Free open parking area

Restaurant is fine and breakfast Ok too.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Gillingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

Only stayed for one night but found the hotel very comfortable. Nice Restaurant. Staff polite. Reasonable prices

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bascharage
Threeland Hotel
Ibis Budget Luxembourg Sud
Mandarina Hotel
Mandarina Hotel
#1 of 2 in Strassen

Been to Hotel Gulliver? Share your experiences!