“An ancient villa on the hills -- and near to downtown Florence at the same time”

The Locanda Montaguglione
The Locanda Montaguglione
Ranked #4 of 13 Scandicci B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I travel a lot. For job and for fun. And I also review quite a bit. The fact is that I also read a lot of reviews before booking so it is only fair that I give back. I am always quite objective in my reviews. I couldn't do differently. Still, I was uncertain about writing this particular review because the owner of the place is my uncle. However, I have decided to write it because I think it can be useful to someone, anyway. So... here it is. Last summer I spent a night at Locanda Montaguglione. I had obviously been in the place before (so I know it pretty well) but I had never slept there. It was quite hot in Florence in that period (it was July) but the room was cool. The air conditioned (independent) works pretty well. The hotel was silent. My husband and I slept very well. The room was pretty. Nothing luxurious; if you look for sumptuous rooms, perhaps you should look for a five stars hotel not a B&B. However, pretty, pretty. The garden is gorgeous. There is plenty of place to sit in the sunshine and in the shadow. It is very nice to talk at one of the many tables outside in the summer. The position is also beautiful. On a hill, bordering a wood. You can walk in the wood and you can follow a track up to San Martino alla Palma from the wood (yes, you can also walk in the street to reach San Martino, if trekking is not your thing...). You can reach Scandicci by feet and from there you can get the tranvia and he downtown Florence in 16 minutes. Do I have anything to complain about? yes (but not for me, for him :-) ) The price. My uncle prices the room TOO LOW for what he offers. This is my personal opinion. But I have traveled a lot; I have never found anything this pretty so cheap.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrancyG72

Maine, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We traveled with our 3 twenty-something children to Italy and started our vacation by visiting Florence. This place was recommended to us by a family we know who lives in Scandicci - and we were very happy with the accommodations! Knowing we would arrive late from the Verona airport, we requested dinner at The Locanda Montaguglione - a delicious meal and a bottle of wine served on their outdoor patio awaited us. Talk about relaxing! We spent three nights in Scandicci. The rooms were spacious and very clean, each with its own bathroom. A buffet breakfast was set up early each day. Having a car is convenient if you're going to stay here as it is on a gorgeous hillside outside of the city. We were able to drive to the nearby train station and catch a train into Florence each day.

Mario, the owner, keeps a dictionary handy and we had no trouble communicating with our limited Italian. A warm and friendly place to stay if you want to be outside of the big cities, which fit our plans perfectly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family