“Nice place to visit Chianti”
Review of Hotel Alcide

Hotel Alcide
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Poggibonsi
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice place to visit Chianti”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My sisters and a friend just got back from the Chianti. Hotel Alcide was the hotel we picked based on our budget and the size of the room. The quadruple room was perfect for us. It was very clean and the décor was very nice. I love the overhead lights. The personalized note and the welcome sweets was a very nice touch too. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. We had a rental car that we parked at their parking lot. It was a gated hotel so the car is in a very safe place. They also secure the premises at night so you feel safe. Even though they are on a busy street, I did not hear the noise of the traffic so we all slept good. Breakfast was great, thanks Maria Grazia The hotel is located close to the tourist spots - 10 to 20 minutes by car There were a number of restaurants within walking distance too and if you're tired of walking, there is a bus stop really close to the hotel. We highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: we were in room 501 on the top floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
marco r, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Joseph
thanks for your consideration grazie! Many many thanks.
The words you used are nice…. We really hope to deserve your consideration but I assure you we all will always do our best to give a better and better accommodation and service.
So…let’s wait for your next visit to Poggibonsi
Sincere regards,
Marco and the Alcide Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I spent a day in the Tuscan town of San Gimignano, the beautiful but crowded little jewel in the Italien tourist crown. I had no luck getting a Hotel room there. They was either fully booked or quite simply extortionate. I made my way down the valley and stumbled across the town of Poggibonsi. It was beautiful. The first hotel I saw on entering the town was the Hotel Alcide in the Via Marconi. The rooms were the most reasonably priced I have ever encountered in all my Italien travels. The room was clean, bright, cool and well aired. The restaurant was a delight to dine in and the food of a quality I did not expect to encounter in such a small town. The staff were kind and welcoming and were always cheerful and smiling stay in the Alcide. You will not be disappointed. The money you save can be spent on the fine Chianti of the region.
The town itself is just perfectly Tuscan. It has a small cinema the Garibaldi and plenty of little shops to buy gifts.
Just a few miles from San Gimignano my advice is book your overnight (or longer term)

Room Tip: I was at the front of the hotel in a top floor room. Perfect. Beautiful view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sirwiltonshagpile
markusiena, Manager at Hotel Alcide, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest
We are happy to read your kind review.
Our hotel is ideally located to reach the main centers such as the Chianti area, Florence, Siena and San Gimignano and all of our rooms are comfortable and equipped with all facilities.
Also, our restaurant of centenary tradition, always offers a wide selection of Tuscan as well as fish dishes.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Marco Rossi and the hotel staff
Modena, Italy
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is modern looking, rooms are large, very quiet and spotless. The staff is friendly and helpful (ask them for tips on where to eat and you won't be disappointed) and services include free Wi-Fi, buffet breakfast and a lot of information about many thing to do and where: a real concierge service. the location is great because is in the middle of tuscany so you can enjoy a lot of 'one day visit' in many different beautiful cities (like siena, san gimignano, florence, etc, without the high price that the city has). I'd stay at Hotel Alcide any day. my 2 cents: TRY THE RESTAURANT.

Room Tip: the superior room are really better
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dud c
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thanks a lot, Dud!
We have the pleasure to share Your kind words with all the staff in order to improve our work with the consciousness that we can always increase our efforts to reach our goals and satisfy our guests in their relaxing moments.
We appreciate your consideration and we look forward to have you in our hotel once again in the near future. So we’ll have the possibility to let you taste all of our delightful specialities that our chefs prepare.
Our best regards.......
hope to see you soon
Overpelt, Limburg, Belgium
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here one night as a group, travelling throughout Italy.
This hotel appeared pretty OK at first sight, but when looking closer this was not the case at all!
Not even talking about the service AT ALL!

Service was terrible! Personnel at the front desk was aweful. Asking for free wifi, AS OFFERED ON THEIR WEBSITE, they wouldn't give me access. When asking why not, they simply ignored me and even asking me to shut up. Then they told me it was broken, which was not the case as I could visit theit own online website. Later, they told me it was only for business, which is not stated in any policy or anywhere at all. Front desk staff let me feel like I was bothering them and made up excuses in order not to help me!

Sorry, I've stayed, during this group visit, in lots of 3 star hotels, none offering service as bad as this one! If Wifi is a paid service, I agree. But why publishing on your website it is included as a free service when on arrival it was not!

Rooms themselves were damaged on doors, shower,...
They put an extra bed in their 2 persons room ("upgrading" it to 3 persons) which made the room way too small: not being able to open our closet.
Also, an alarm button was placed next to a light button, because of that, I did not want to put on the light during the night.

We had a dinner in the hotel which was pretty tasty but VERY basic: 2 types of paste (without any meat/fish/...) as first and second dish and a dessert which you could also buy in the super market a few miles away from the hotel.

Breakfast was simple though reasonable considdering the fact we stayed there as a large group. Many of the plates were still dirty!

As said, at first sight hotel appeared pretty good, but pretty much everything disappointed me!
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your considerations . Your vehemence shows clearly how important for you is to have participated at this school tour as a student. I really appreciate it.
Let me personally apologize for the fact that it has not been possible for you to have wi fi access but I am sure you will understand that in our e mail correspondence it was very clear that our hotel services for students never include wi fi . We have always offered wi fi connection to tour leaders but not to the students.
Referring to general terms and conditions applying to all agreements between the hotel and the School Institute it has also been very clear that we provided multiple occupancy for the student groups.
We are always pleased to offer free wi fi access in our hotel for our guests but in certain conditions such as those agreed between your school and our hotel wi fi is not included. Your school teachers and drivers have always expressed great satisfaction during their yearlong experience at our hotel.
I also understand the kind of protest you bring in your words regarding the menu.
Our menus included 2 first courses and the teachers were really grateful for this kind of restaurant service. I informed the restaurant chef about the problems you say you have experienced during the dinner but I verified that your words were not true.
On departure day I talked to the teachers and they all expressed their great satisfaction to the staff for the experience they’ve had during their stay at the hotel.
So I can conclude by saying I presume you were not satisfied with your stay because of the fact that you have not had a wi fi access and I confirm there was a specific agreement between the School Institute who arranged the tour and our hotel about the wi fi access.
I regret that no enough information was provided to you about this point but I can say I am sure that you will experience a delightful stay in Tuscany next time and I personally assure that during your next stay in our hotel you will be a very special guest. So you will have the choice(may be as an adult/teacher in the future) to appreciate how much effort we put in our work avoiding spectacularization and at the same time improving the quality and maintaining a long term trust relationship between our Hotel Firm and the School Institute.
I look forward to see you soon
Kangasala
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel four nights and I was very pleased. The hotel is located in middle of Tuscany and that makes it great "base camp" for visiting Sam Gimignano, Chiantti wine are etc.
You can reach enen the smaller destination in Tuscany with the bus from center of the city. The restaurant of the hotel is wonderful and fish is exceptionally goood there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I couldn't believe to stay in a hotel for only 34 euro. Free wi-fi, sky in the room... and also a good restaurant. The reception stuff is very helpfully. That's really good value for your money. The only thing that I have to underscore is that the hotel is really vintage, but I didn't care too much. I will come back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Bill
I thank you for your words of appreciation we have been working very hard to rise the standard of our quality of the service trying not to rise the price of the rooms with simple things that have great conversion feedbacks! We have new ideas for this year just stated so I sure you will find something new next time you decide to come an visit Chianti Area again!
I wish you a great beginning of the year!
My best,
Irvine, California
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We spent the day wine tasting and visiting the Chianti area with friends. We had eaten previously at Alcide since one of our friends is related to the owners and had a fantastic lunch, so when they suggested dinner we agreed as we knew there was a hotel attached and did not want to drive after consuming wine with dinner. Our room, on the 5th floor, was quiet, dark and perfect for sleeping late. The breakfast was substantial, although we were still quite full from dinner! When presented with the hotel bill we thought they had made a mistake as it was so low for such a nice room. Loved the split bathroom with shower and sink in one area and sink, toilet and bidet in another. Definitely would recommend this hotel for nice, inexpensive hotel in the middle of a fabulous area.

Room Tip: We had room 513.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
markusiena, Direttore at Hotel Alcide, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Sir,
We would like to thank you very much for your kind words.
Every efforts of our staff is made to ensure the stay of our guests comfortable and we thank you very much for your consideration.
See you soon …..