“Truly....Tuscany at it's best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pienza
Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani
Ranked #3 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Pienza
Friendswood, Texas
“Truly....Tuscany at it's best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

A friend and I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at Cretaiole the first week of April, 2014. Each day, we would look at each other and say,"Wow! How lucky we are to be staying in such a wonderful place." We stayed in a beautiful, well restored one bedroom/one bath apartment that had a sofa in the living room that made into a bed. I have to say, I have never slept in a bed more comfortable than this sofa bed! The apartment was beautifully furnished and perfect! We added the "Dolce Vita" option and I highly recommend it. There was so much food and wine included, and we put it all to good use, as we had a picnic with it every day while visiting the surrounding areas. Wonderful! Isabella has put together a tour guide for everyone to use during their stay. This guide is better than any guide book you could find for Tuscany. She has put countless hours into the guide and it shows. Fantastic source of information. Of course, if it is possible to have a question about Tuscany (I doubt you will after going through this guide), you can always ask Isabella, Carlo, or Carlotta. Isabella, also has set up many tour options for the visitors to Cretaiole. One of them, the "Romitorio" or Hermitage tour is a tour of the Etruscan Tomb on their property. I highly recommend this tour. It is so interesting!!! And the views are breathtaking. Another activity Isabella set up for everyone was the "Cucina Povera cuisine @ Taverna da Roberto" in Montisi. It is not to be missed if you have an opportunity to go here. The food, atmosphere, wine were perfect. Roberto is a wonderful host and explains the "slow food" movement in Italy as you are enjoying his delicious food and wine. The same is true of the for the wine and food pairing at La Porta with Daria in Monticchiello. Daria is a fantastic hostess and explains each wine she serves you. You feel as if you took a wine class while you ate your wonderful meal, and enjoyed the beautiful relaxed atmosphere. There was also a wonderful wine tour set up for those of us staying at Cretaiole at the Nostra Vita Winery. Wonderful caring people, with wonderful wines, food and hospitality! A beautiful afternoon! Much to my regret, as I had looked forward to the Pici making evening, I was not able to attend the Pici making, or the dinner afterward. My friend was able to attend, and loved all of it. Isabella was kind enough to share the recipe with me, so I will try making it later. I was also unable to attend the tour of Pienza, but having spent some time with Carlotta, I know it would have been a very interesting, fun and wonderful tour. This leads me to explain why I was not able to attend, and to brag a little on Italy's emergency services. I want to add this, so everyone that stays at Cretaiole knows what a wonderful experience this actually turned out to be with the help of Isabella, Carlo, Luciano, and especially Carlotta. Thursday evening, I had what could have been a serious breathing episode. Isabella felt like we should call the doctor (yes they have doctors that make house calls). Within just a few minutes, our room was full of emergency volunteers! It was unbelieveable how wonderful all of these people were! The doctor, and an assistant showed up within a couple minutes afterward. He did a few portable tests, such as an EKG, etc. After listening to my lungs, he felt like I should go to the hospital for an X-ray. He went with me in the ambulance. Within a few minutes of arriving, my friends showed up, along with Carlotta. Carlotta was a life saver, as she interpreted everything for us. She stayed with us the entire time we were in the emergency room. The next day, I heard a knock on the door of our room, and Isabella had gone to get my medicine for me. Carlo and Luciano both stopped by that day to check on me. I want to mention this, to show what wonderful, caring people you have at Cretaiole. Isabella, Carlotta, Carlo, and Luciano want your stay to be the very best you can experience......and they exceed at this 100%!!! I will be going back to Cretaiole again and again! I will never stay any place else in Tuscany. It is the perfect location...beautiful views of the Tuscan hills, and the most wonderful people associated with it.

Room Tip: If you need an extra bed, do not hesitate to pick an apartment with a sofa bed. They are truly the m...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

We recently spent a delightful week at Cretaiole in Tuscany. The agenda for our first day there was a 90-minute meeting just to go over all the optional activities the Moricciani family offers. There are choice to meet every taste, and we thoroughly enjoyed every option. An informative hike with Gary (an ex-pat) was great. A dinner at La Porta (5 wines paired with 5 courses) was another highlight. The common gathering place on the verandah is welcoming--whether it's learning pici-making from Isabella, or drinking grappa late-night with patriarch Luciano, it's an experience not to be missed. The "dolce vita" option was well worth it.

Room Tip: We were 2 couples and we stayed in Il Granaio. The fireplace was wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Amity, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Don't miss out on this amazing place and the wonderful people who will make your experience unforgettable. We assumed we would use our stay at Cretaiole as a base and venture out to explore various parts of Tuscany each day. Instead, we found the activities, both included in our stay and optional, so interesting and varied that we happily participated in the activities offered. Starting with a wonderful orientation by Isabella and Carlotta, and proceeding through visits to wineries and restaurants, an olive oil tasting lead by Carlo, an afternoon learning to make pici with a delicious dinner to follow, visits to their farm and local artisans, and a travel book giving suggested drives, restaurants, and sights, each day was full of new experiences.

The farmhouse was beautifully restored and the grounds afforded views of the surrounding countryside with Pienza in the distance. Our room (Il Pollaio) was excellent and we were greeted with a table full of delicious food - the farm's wine and olive oil, as well as bacon, cheese, bread, yogurt, sweet treats, and a bowl full of fresh vegetables and fruits.

This was truly an experience to savor. Excellent!

Room Tip: We stayed in Il Pollaio. One large room perfect for two people with a fireplace, small, but very ad...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

You can believe the reviews, Cretaiole is truly charming, authentic, a wonderful Tuscan retreat and surpassed our expectations. Cretaiole is located in the Vale d'Orcia which is UNESCO protected and is an utterly exceptional landscape, you can instantly see why it has inspired so many over the years. The Moricciani family (your hosts at Cretaiole) are the perfect guardians of such a special place and give guests a chance to experience the real Tuscany, its culture, heritage, food, wine and people. We stayed for a week with our two boys (5 and 3 years) in April 2014 and will definitely return at some point, hopefully in the not too distant future. The farmhouse is wonderfully situated, the accommodation perfectly appointed and designed with the upmost care and attention. We really had our every need catered for and so did the children. The warm welcome from the lovely Carlotta, Isa's truly wonderful guide to the area (a guide which has been years in its development), Luciano's mouth-watering farm produce, Vin Santo and warm hospitality and tractor rides for the boys, Carlo's super powers, pasta making classes, cheese and wine tasting and swimming in the area's hot springs made for holiday that won't be forgotten by any member of our family. Go stay at Cretaoile, its good for the soul and should be on everybody's bucket list.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Middlebury, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

We loved every minute of our stay with the Moriccani family - we really felt like we were adopted into an Italian family. True, no one is really around in the day, but you can always travel 5 minutes to Pienza to find them in their own house/farm if you need them (and they provide you with a local cell phone so you can call them anytime). We had no trouble finding the place from the train station in Chiusi (we rented a car from Hertz, right by the station) -luckily, it's only one road to get to them despite many rotaries and bad Italian signs. As soon as you get near Montepulciano, everything becomes postcard perfect - you cannot believe how spectacular the countryside is. The orientation was SUPER helpful

We arrived Saturday afternoon to a fantastic basket of farm products- homemade pecorino cheese, meats from their farm, crackers, cookies, fresh bread and veggies from the garden - perfect as we were hungry! We spent a few ours reading the "big book" which has almost too much information. You really need 2 weeks to see EVERYTHING. Be careful not to over-schedule the days with planned activities - just a few is all you need as it's more fun to explore on your own. Don't miss the tour of Siena which was fantastic and do visit their Romitorio. We adored Montisi (the slow food dinner was neat), and Pienza, Castelmuzio, Monteciello - so many amazing little towns right near by. Just don't sign up for every activity as you'll tire yourself out and won't have a chance to explore. Most of the true gems are literally within 20 minutes drive! if you like Brunello, don't miss the Enoteca de Piazza in Montalcino!!!I think we spent half our vacation money on Brunello to ship home and with the wine card system, tried perhaps 25 wines.

Special shout out to Carlotta and Isabella and Carlos and Luciano - so many fun perks - free grappa, vin santo, fresh farm products, two nearby coops to buy food, a great kitchen. Yes, the accommodations are "rustic" but in a good way. - an authentic Tuscan farmhouse with almost all the comforts of home. Minor niggles - washclothes and tissues would be a plus, but the Swiss products they provided were GREAT, we loved making fires every night and they have plenty of kitchen supplies. Another highlight was the pici making class and dinner Thursday night. Don't miss that. We also enjoyed the olive oil lesson/tasting. Leave some time for LEISURE - we always do the "march or die" but you want to take a breath and slow down in Tuscany.

One of my personal highlights was my morning run down the "white road" (dirt road) to the capella Vitaleta (as seen in Gladiator!) - in fact, almost every movie you've ever seen in Italy was set here (English patient right in the local convent). The scenery was breathtaking. I also used the free mountain bikes (if you really want a better bike ride, I'd rent one, as this one was pretty basic and the seat post had an issue) to ride all the way down the local roads - so many fantastic routes right near by.

We were truly sad to leave this magical place. The family couldn't have been nice or gone more out of their way. I can see why so many guests return year after year. It was also fantastic to meet the other guests and do activities with them. They have 2 properties - we were at the one between Pienza and S. Quirico de Orcia - I prefer the more rural location, but that's personal preference. If you want to see the less touristy Italy and the most gorgeous parts, stay here and let your inner Italian loose!

Room Tip: We liked our two bedroom apartment, Caciola.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

My (Australian living in Singapore) family - myself, my husband and my 6 year old son - arrived Easter Saturday 2013, and were warmly welcomed by the wonderful Carlotta, a warm fireplace and a basket (and fridge) of fresh provisions. An extra special touch - a small basket of Easter eggs - delighted my son. We settled in for the night and were further welcomed by a visit from patriarch Luciano and his delicious Grappa and Limoncello. The next morning we met the gorgeous Isabella for an orientation with useful tips imbued with her warm sense of humour. Then (after we managed to get slightly lost...) off for a tour of Sandra's organic farm and an amazing lunch - she is the perfect hostess. We filled the rest of our week with the perfect combination of Isabella's 'Big Book' guide suggested activities and tours (day trips to Siena and San Gimignano) highly recommended) together with just enjoying the surroundings at Cretaiole over some local vino, formaggio and salumi. The cosy accommodation was beautiful but the real gem is the Morriciani family and Carlotta - they provide a personal tour of their working farm, their 'secret grotto', the church where Isabella and Carlo were married, olive oil education, pasta making and a BBQ - giving you enough space to be independent but yet are there for anything you need. We, like many that have posted here, were very sad to leave. The other bonus is the other guests you meet during your stay - 3 generations of an Irish family and an American mom with her 10 year old daughter, as well as a lovely couple from Perth, Australia, made our trip that much more enjoyable. We are now planning to return as soon as possible - still so much to do and see, and hopefully our Italian will have improved for our night time chats with Luciano! We miss them all dearly!

Room Tip: La Oliviera can be a bit noisy overhead depending on the upstairs guests
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Trip Advisor emiled me to remind me to review this place, but I want to sy that I stayed here about 7 years ago (I couldn't select that for when I travelled, but I became a FB friend of hostess Isabella, so I know they are still in business and still delighting travellers) for a week. We felt welcomed and confortable and really hated to leave to continue our trip. I loved our room, not luxury but with rustic Tuscan farmhouse touches. The setting is beautful, bucolic, but very close to so many hill towns worth exploring. They have a very inclusive binder in the room with information about everything around, and arrange several wonderful activities that you can opt to join in. I definitely reccommend the organic farm tour and (huge and delicious) mosty vegetarian lunch under the trellis, over looking a valley, on the farm...if they still do that, and the guided tour of Siena that they arranged is also very worth doing. Incuded in the stay was a pici (local pasta) making lesson, followed by a lovely community dinner in the courtyard of the agriturismo and an olive oil tasting class with official olive oil taster/judge Carlo, Luciano's son and the husband of Isabella, hostess extraordinaire, who speaks several languages and is happy to help you in any way.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends