“Superb”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Stylish restaurant in the center of Pienza
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stumbled upon La Bandita by chance - and how lucky were we! The first thing to note is how friendly and welcoming everyone was. Second, the lovely garden, perfect for pre-dinner drinks. Third, the decor: trendy and classy. Fourth, the fact that one can admire the chef in action and see one's meal being prepared, whilst sipping (delicious) local wine on the terrace. And last, but not least... The food. Superb. Other half had pea soup followed by truffle tagliatelles. I had stuffed battered zucchinis stuffed with ricotta and mint, followed by chicken in parmagiano breadcrumbs over fresh lettuce. Just delicious. Our children were warmly welcomed too, but this is definitely a grown up, special restaurant. Price was reasonable too. Huge thumbs up from us.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We love La Bandita Townhouse Caffe - the atmosphere is warm and friendly and the cooking is superb. Imaginative, superbly well prepared, beautifully presented and, above all, delicious. Local ingredients used brilliantly. Will we be returning...yes, every chance we get!

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Six hungry children and four harassed parents arrived at the tranquil La Bandito on a hot August afternoon. One Scottish waiter, two wannabe foodies, three stuffed courgette flowers, four tagliatelle pesto pastas with no tomatoes (not on menu!), five baskets of bread and six delighted children........... and 10 out of 10 for fabulous food all round, wonderful hospitality and a strong desire to return as soon as possible!

1  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We are fortunate to live in nearby Umbria so we have been able to experience their incredible menu through the seasons. The owners, Ondine and John, have achieved what few even try: a completely new take on local Tuscan cuisine! We love it for that reason, there are hundreds of fine cucina tipica and we love them....but, oh, how wonderful to experience something completely unique and delightful! When surrounded by the freshest local herbs, vegetables, organic meats, cheeses and wines in the world, their chef puts an entirely new spin on the finest ingredients. Just yesterday, we had the best pea soup with lemon infused mascarpone with crystals of salt that we have ever tasted and the linguine with duck ragu and a Chianina beef filet topped with crisp pancetta and a divine millefoglie of creamy potatoes. Each was a taste sensation. That the chef can achieve, time after time, such consistency of flavors is a testament to perfection. We have also had, on other occasions, the towering Chianina beef burger with mint mayo, the asparagus with soft boiled egg and truffle shavings, zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta and mint, and for dessert "Not-Your-Grandma's Tiramisu". Thank you Mikey for always recommending the best wines to accompany whatever our choices. And we were incredibly surprised that the fantastic white wine you chose for us for a summer lunch could possibly have been 6 Euros! The wine cellar is well stocked with the best, including organic. Ondine and John lead by example and inspire a fine wait staff, super attentive and friendly. In summer the garden of herbs and flowers is a serene back drop to lunch on the terrace, in spring and autumn the tables inside are cozy. They renovated an ancient convent in the middle of Pienza, mixing modern amenities while preserving the integrity of a historic place. Each time we dine here we are surrounded by interesting guests from all countries, including young families. It is a joy to see children welcomed with enthusiasm. Certainly, a place for all ages and all seasons. Come, visit soon, you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I visited La Bandita with friends and from the moment I walked through the front door, past the ancient well of the nuns, and into the beautiful terrace, I felt relaxed and appreciated. Our table was ready even though we arrived early and we were welcomed with a smile and a kiss by the owners, John and Ondine. The menu was unique and, although all the ingredients were obviously organic and local Italian, all the offerings had a fresh spin! The first taste of the green pea soup with lemon mascarpone and crystals of salt was a burst of flavors, so refreshing on a summer day...there was so much going on that each spoonful was a delight. And, then the amazing Carpaccio of zucchini which was so thinly sliced and wrapped in a delicate olive oil suffused with parsley and basil just added to this symphony of tastes. I shared the filet of Chianina beef topped with two crisp strips of pancetta with my companion and words really cannot describe the tender and delicate taste that exploded on my palate. Mikey, the waiter was friendly and so helpful in choosing the perfect wine for the table We asked him for a white wine recommendation because the day was warm and he came up with the perfect pairing. Sorry I cannot tell what the label was but Mikey is famous for remembering exactly what a guest has ordered. My friend told me that when she returned after six weeks he asked if she wanted the same wine! As we relaxed over this perfect summer luncheon the terrace filled with other diners, including four beautiful young families with toddlers and even a baby. The lawn and garden of herbs and beautiful flowers was an enchanting backdrop as we watched the children quietly play. They obviously welcome families. We chatted with an English couple who live near Paris but vacation in Tuscany often who raved about La Bandita and their consistent high quality of food and service. I know that I will return whenever I visit my friends who live in nearby Umbria! This was one of those meals that I will remember as vividly as I remember music that I love.
Thank you John and Ondine for giving Pienza a really different, new and refreshing take on local Italian food! It wasn't just the food, the service or the ambiance....I truly felt like a treasured guest.

1  Thank ShutterbugSally