“Superlative food and wine! Exceptional service. I felt that I had been a long time friend invited to Antonio's home.”
Review of La Buca di Enea

La Buca di Enea
Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Pienza
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

A five star in my book! Authentic Tuscan cuisine...the Pici is spicy, the wild boar amazing, bean soup fabulous smooth with a nice touch of spice, mixed salad with mozzarella sweet and soooo fresh. You cannot find a better value anywhere. We had dinner there 3 times during our 3 weeks in Val D'Orcia and always enjoyed the atmosphere, food and amazing hospitality of the host and hostess. Bellissimo!!

1  Thank WJaze
Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Small place with 15 covers. Popped in for some lunch and kept some space for wild boar after some great meats, cheeses and bruchetta. The boar was wonderfully cooked and went superbly with the recommended Bindella 2007 Reservi. Generous portions including complementary grappa and dessert wines. You won't be disappointed. The kids loved it too.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I beleive the most important thing one has to understand is: this not a Morton's Steakhouse, a large chain-type restaurant or even large Italian restaurant like you might find on Sienna's Il Campo or Rome's Piazza Navonna. This is a small quaint family restaurant. The seats are very close together, the service is excellent and the food is all made to order. Also seating is limited and is about 8-10 tables. So as I read someone else's review I realized they were looking for a different type of restaurant.

We stopped at La Buca di Enea and most of the tables were filled. My wife had mushroom pasta which she said was excellent and I had pasta with wild boar that was very tasty!! The boar was very tender , We had the pecorino (sheep cheese) as an appetizer and it was served with Chesnut honey and fig jam. These combinations definitely created interesting taste sensations! After dinner the owner served us free lemon cello. For what we were looking for, this was an excellent choice

1  Thank Rufus123
Reviewed May 10, 2013

There is no way this tiny restaurant has 652 reviews.... I don't think 652 people could eat here in a year - the food was average... not bad - not great... we walked in without reservations on a weekend. Something is NOT right - I have always regarded Tripadvisor reviews but this to me is
a slight bit unbelievable. I can't imaging EVERY diner there writing a review. They must have a lot of relatives or friends leaving comments.
There are far better restaurants in Pienza with larger dining rooms that dont have nearly as many reviews.

1  Thank Pucabella
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a great time and the food was great. We had to wait a bit but the owner brought us out a glass of wine, a nice gesture. The food was really yummy. The place is cozy so expect a short wait if you come at prime time. The owners and staff made it very fun to be there. We would go back again and would recommend it to our friends.

1  Thank chucksierke