“Italian home cooked meal”
Review of La Buca di Enea

La Buca di Enea
Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Pienza
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I beleive the most important thing one has to understand is: this not a Morton's Steakhouse, a large chain-type restaurant or even large Italian restaurant like you might find on Sienna's Il Campo or Rome's Piazza Navonna. This is a small quaint family restaurant. The seats are very close together, the service is excellent and the food is all made to order. Also seating is limited and is about 8-10 tables. So as I read someone else's review I realized they were looking for a different type of restaurant.

We stopped at La Buca di Enea and most of the tables were filled. My wife had mushroom pasta which she said was excellent and I had pasta with wild boar that was very tasty!! The boar was very tender , We had the pecorino (sheep cheese) as an appetizer and it was served with Chesnut honey and fig jam. These combinations definitely created interesting taste sensations! After dinner the owner served us free lemon cello. For what we were looking for, this was an excellent choice

1  Thank Rufus123

Reviewed May 10, 2013

There is no way this tiny restaurant has 652 reviews.... I don't think 652 people could eat here in a year - the food was average... not bad - not great... we walked in without reservations on a weekend. Something is NOT right - I have always regarded Tripadvisor reviews but this to me is
a slight bit unbelievable. I can't imaging EVERY diner there writing a review. They must have a lot of relatives or friends leaving comments.
There are far better restaurants in Pienza with larger dining rooms that dont have nearly as many reviews.

1  Thank Pucabella
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a great time and the food was great. We had to wait a bit but the owner brought us out a glass of wine, a nice gesture. The food was really yummy. The place is cozy so expect a short wait if you come at prime time. The owners and staff made it very fun to be there. We would go back again and would recommend it to our friends.

1  Thank chucksierke
Reviewed April 24, 2013

One of our favorite places to eat in Tuscany!
This is the third time we have been there, we make sure to come to Buca di Enea everytime we are in Pienza. If you are looking for a 5 start dining experience, this is not for you. But if you are up for a homely, authentic, fabulous food served in a small intimate and extremely charming setting, then it does not get better than this. I always have Picci there. They are amazing! I love Picci and take it in many different restaurants when we dine out in Tuscany. But I must say that Buca di Enea picci is by far the best!
There is no reservations for this place, but it is open all day, so pop in and hope that there is a table available, as it seems to always be packed!

1  Thank laurakelme
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really would love to rates this place high. We came for all of the great reviews. It was reptty bad. The food was microwaved- we heard the micro going right after ordering. Since we were the only ones in there, we knew it was our pasta. The pasta was not tasty at all. The salad was way too salty and the service was basically non existent. The owner seemed nice enough but sat at a table the whole time with his friend and did not really come by to check on us.... I would never eat here or recommend it- the food was simply not good at all!

2  Thank bklynyoga