“The best liver I ever eat!”
Review of La Buca di Enea

La Buca di Enea
Ranked #5 of 56 Restaurants in Pienza
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
“The best liver I ever eat!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Fegatelli - have you ever eat it? No? Go to Pienza to small restaurant in busy city and enjoy family atmosphere, perfect food and super drinks!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Pavel E

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
“Very nice”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

It is a very small and familiar place. The food is delicious, truly homemade, the owners are the only people to serve and cook, 4 tables... all the better, it was a very good experience. Try the "black cheese" (peccorino nero) of Pienza!

Visited September 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Best meal in all of Tuscanny!!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just like a lot of people my wife and I read the reviews for Buca di Enea and couldn't wait to get there.
After reading some of the other reviews, we booked our dinner on a Wednesday for Friday just to make sure we got a table. It was so inviting that we decided to have a glass of wine while we were there and the owner made 2 great suggestions for each of us.
Already off to a great start!
We returned Friday at 8 and were the first to arrive. After seating us at the same table we had for our wine, the owner sliced some amazing Tuscan prosciutto as an amuse bouche and we ordered a bottle of prosecco.
Typical of me, I tried to over order and like one of the previous posters, he advised that I should have less and then if I still had room, he would prepare the remaining dish (oh how I wish I could have eaten the tripe). Like the previous poster I was over eager and couldn't even finish what I ordered.
The wine we selected was sadly sold out, but again we got a stellar suggestion that wildly surpassed my expectations.
For our first course, my wife and I shared the Caprese salad and the ribollita (traditional Tuscan bread and vegetable soup with white beans).
The buffalo mozzarella was simply stunning. Fresh and almost gooey it was a perfect match for the tomatoes and hand ripped basil. Drizzled with a little extra virgin and some pepper it has so far been unmatched.
The ribollita was unlike any other I had tried before or since. Intense vegetable flavour with greens, broccoli and other assorted veggies. The taste was sensational!
As a second course we had the spelt and mushroom soup which was unbelievable. For those of you haven't had it, spelt is very much like modern day barley, but with great flavour. Add the intense mushroom flavour from the stock and fresh porcini mushrooms and you have a soup worthy of Michelin restaurants.
For main course my wife had the gnocchi and I had the tagliatelle 'Alla Gary'.
The gnocchi can only be described as soft potato pillows with an absolutely amazing porcini mushroom sauce. I've never been a fan of gnocchi as I always find it sits very heavily and always tastes floury. This was the complete opposite. Light, airy and delicious.
The tagliatelle was simply divine. Hand made pasta served with a ragout of cinghale (wild boar) with stewed cinghale. The tomato based ragu was rich and intense and the stewed cinghale was like no other 'pork' dish I've ever tried. It was meaty with that slight element of fat (which is an absolute must for any stewed pork) but so delicate it literally melted in your mouth. I cannot really put into words how much I enjoyed this dish. It was such a generous portion, that I almost kissed the owner when he came over with a take out container for the leftovers.
At the conclusion of the meal, he brought over a bottle of grappa, limoncello and vin santo (a Tuscan dessert wine) and told us to help ourselves.
The night could only have been better if I had room for the amazing cheese plate he was serving to the other tables.
As an aside, the restaurant is small and only has 7 tables and by the end of dinner, all of us were talking to each other and sharing vacation experiences as well as suggestions for new adventures. Even with limited Italian we had a great time talking with regulars and tourlike alike.
This is an absolute treasure and if you miss coming here for dinner it will be a huge regret.

• Visited October 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
“Like at home!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This cosy family-owned restaurant in the heart of Pienza made us feel at home or like visiting some dear friends...The owners are very hospitable and their domestic food and wine were excellent. If you are not certain what to order, we suggest that you listen to the owner's recommendations. Our suggestion: finish this great culinary experience with their home-baked Tuscan cookies combined with the fenomenal sweet white wine!

Visited May 2012
Odivelas, Portugal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“overrated”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

La buca di Enea is rated #1 out of 26 restaurants in Pienza! I disagree to Tripadvisor users. It is absolutely overrated.
There are many better place to go in Pienza.

• Visited July 2012