“Not the Best; just Average”

Trattoria La Buca delle Fate
Ranked #18 of 56 Restaurants in Pienza
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lucca, Italy
“Not the Best; just Average”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

When we were last in Pienza a number of restaurants were closed. The staff was on vacation prior to the vacation period that a number of Italians take in August. Thus, our eating choices were somewhat limited. We ended up at the Trattoria La Buca delle Fate. Service was slow and not particularly attentive. (It is possible that one or more of the staff was not working the night we were there). In any event, the pasta dish I had was average, and the gnocchi was disappointing. It seemed rather heavy. Maybe we should have had the steak as recommended by a recent review. Long story short - after hanging out in Tuscany for a few years - maybe it is harder to impress our palates with Italian food than it is to impress the tourists. I cannot recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a memorable Italian meal. jr

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
UK
“Second visit”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Tried pasta it was nice but would advise anyone looking for steak to visit this restaurant . The staff are very good and helpful gets busy on an evening advise to book lots of people turned away with no boking

Visited July 2014
Santiago, Chile
“what a dinner, year over year!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have been at this restaurant several times in the last decades. I live abroad, but my parents have been living in the area for about 30 years, so I know very well the area and go there once every 2-3 years in average, almost every time I get back to Italy.

But while Pienza is one of my favourite place to stroll, there is a lot of tourism (of course... it's so nice!), so, every time I get at La Buca delle Fate (The Fairy's Hole, btw...) I'm scared at the perspective not to find the very same food but just an average place designed with mass tourism in mind.

Fortunately, that has yet to happen... the place is the same like 10 years ago. This is typical of Italy. I know a bunch of places spread around the peninsula where I can eat EXACTLY the same dishes, in the same place, I was eating when I was a student!

La buca delle fate makes no different. The Cinghiale in Umido is wonderful. The pici my wife ordered were perfects. The antipasto misto and the "crostini toscani", covered with the typical "salsa di fegatini toscana" (tuscany sauce of liver) is just magic, something creating almost instantaneous dependency like a drug!

Also the place is worth a visit, with a perfect refurbishment of an ancient ground floor of a palace (I seem to remember they were stables - but I'm not sure). Two waivers manage the tables at fast speed. Both are superfast, reliable and - that's what surprised me - HAPPY, despite they are sweating the hell to manage the customers. They also joke sometime while running from a table to another at speed light all time. In any of the country where I have been they would require 5 to 10 waivers to do the same works at the same pace!

So, full star, again, to this restaurant. Keep going like that, please!!! I'll get back soon...

Just one point: do something about the noise coming from the kitchen aspirator. It creates a sort of resonance quite annoying at some tables... but this is just a mild criticism.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank pagheca
Roma, Italia
“very good”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

i will come back in this very good restaurant. not expensive, good food, very nice staff, and wonderful place

Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Popular local!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Very popular with visitors and locals, so very busy with numerous different rooms and alcoves filled with happy customers. wonderful local specialities and local wines either by the bottle or the jug! Very drinkable at 6 € a litre, you can afford to enjoy the wonderful ambience and friendly service.

• Visited May 2014