Our story is so much like the others: We drove diagonally from the Rome airport through Tuscany, beginning along the coast road around noon, and by 5:00 (17:00) we had approached the end of our patience for hairpin turns taken at 30 kpm, and we still had miles to go as darkness fell. We had reservations at Palazzo Brandano, and now needed to find it. A sign for Petroio popped up, my wife (and navigator) said "turn," and we entered a road through a medieval city that rapidly narrowed to the width of our car (an Alfa Romeo Giulietta, by the way, which performed famously for a week!). At a loss, we forged ahead through the narrows, knowing we were on the right road and hoping to find the right house number. A light ahead, an open door: I rolled down my window to ask directions and an elegant Africa man said, "Mr. H.... ? Deliverance! He walked our car to a parking space, lugged our luggage (for a 2.5 month trip), and advised the kitchen to start cooking. Hospitality personified!
There is nothing new to say: superb food, expertly selected wine (name the price and Ourmane will find something delicious), thoughtful gestures and gifts (such as a bite to each in the living room while awaiting dinner). The palazzo is elegantly understated and comfortably furnished: you will be welcome and happy to sit or stretch out anywhere. Ousmane is a witty and worldly host, and a thoughtful and informed conversational partner (ask him about Senegal and the circumstances and prospects of Africa in the global system). He never intrudes but is always there.
The building and setting are from another age, and they will transport you there. Petroio is small, but the area around is great for walking and musing, and will put you in touch with earlier times and human experiences.
In sum, for a peaceful time, warm hospitality, and rejuvenation, a visit to Palazzo Brandano is beyond compare.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Palazzo Brandano's beautiful suites, spacious rooms and charming apartments are all luxuriously and comfortably furnished with handcrafted frescos by famous Italian Renaissance artists. Each air-conditioned accommodation boasts a flat screen satellite television, DVD player, HIFI stereo equipment, mini bar, safety deposit box and internet access. Bathrooms are equipped with either luxury massage showers or Jacuzzi bath tubs. Il Brandano restaurant with its stunning terrace serves modern Tuscan cuisine and an extensive selection of wines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your Palazzo Brandano reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo Brandano Petroio, Italy - Tuscany
- Palazzo Brandano Hotel Petroio