“Fantastic”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Asciano
Dublin, Ireland
“Fantastic”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My BF and I have just returned from a five night stay in Castello di Leonina. I must admit I was very reluctant to book this hotel based on some previous reviews that have been written about it. However I am absolutely delighted that I did! I am a fussy customer and my standards are very high but I could see no signs of the negatives that other reviewers have referred to - please do not let previous reviews deter you from staying here!
We stayed in the Tower room which was huge! We had a downstairs sitting room with couch, tv, fridge and bedroom and bathroom upstairs. Our room was spacious and clean with a lovely bathroom with plenty of space. It didnt really feel like a hotel but more of a big country house, there is no bar but if there is anything you want all you have to do is ask - the staff were very helpful and accommodating leaving us to our own devices rather than bombarding us. We spent a few evenings after dinner drinking wine on the terrace taking in the most magnificent views.
It is a perfect base to explore Tuscany given it's location. Even though it's only a ten minute drive from Siena you still feel like you are deep in the Tuscan countryside. Chianti is well worth exploring and this can be done in a day while Florence is just over a one hour drive away so a day trip is a must. Warning - if you have a hire car note that petrol pumps close from 12.30pm - 3pm. I dont know if this applies eveywhere in Italy but it was just something we came across.
Finally I have to note that the best food we had during our entire trip to Italy was at Castello di Leonina. We ate at the hotel 3 out of our 5 nights and it was exceptional! I also noticed that local Italians were dining at the restaurant which I took as a good sign, just remember to book your table with the hotel reception.
All in all we had a wonderful stay here and I would highly recommend it. My only negative is a small one and nothing to do really with the hotel as such and that is that the birds can be very noisy once 5am hits and they like to dance around on the hotel rooftops so bring some ear plugs! A really enjoyable time otherwise.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clodagh M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
dhaka
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Its one of the great place in tuscany to enjoy the sights and sound of the province has to offer. An old medival aged castle turned into a great home of luxury hotel, really amazing services they offer. The surrounding of the hotel is breath taking. The staffs are nice and welcoming. The lobby and the ally gives you the feel of staying in a castle. The rroms are really nice with mind blowing panromic views of the valleys of tuscany. The mini-bar is good. The toilets are clean and with good amenities. The restaurant offers great tuscan cuisine. The fitness center is good with jacuzzi and turkish bath. The hotel offers free parking as going with a car is one of the best option. A nice place for romantic time out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank daudratul
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed October 18, 2011

This castle-hotel was our wedding venue after oficial ceremony in Siena on Sept-24, 2011. Most of our guests stayed in the hotel as well. And everybody was satisfied.

I would like to thank all hotell staff leaded by Leonina's Director Renato for unforgetable perfect banquet and stay in the hotel. Renato helped us in all aspects, actually all about banquet and its decoration were organized by hotel and it was just perfect. And without any doubts I recommend Leonina not only for wedding (as mentioned above it is perfect :)) but also for vacations and 1-2 days breaks to enjoy Siena and Tuscany.

Leonina is a real medieval castle with 4* hotel inside in the center of one of the nicest area in Italy - Crete Senese. Around Castle you could see wild little animals. You will drive from Siena by one of the best views' road in the world Lauretana (trust me this road is worth to be experinced). So every trip from Leonina to Siena and other Senese towns (like Asciano, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Penza) will give you stunning views and photos.

I want also to mentioned that hotel staff was perfect and very helpfull and could assist to decide all questions - e.g. in 15 minutes to organize delivery directly to the castle of 15 bouquets for tomorrow - no problem, to find hair dressers for guests for tomorrow - the same, done :), to organaize 5 different transfers to Rome and Florence airports for guests - again, everything was managed.

Everybody who is going to stay in Leonina should know also that it is not only nice hotel but also very good restaurant with perfect service.

We hope that we will return to Leonina just for vacation not one time)).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alexander E
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Castle Leonina lies about ten kilometers from Siena and two kilometers from the town Ashyano in the heart of Tuscany. This was once a fortified manor in the second half of XVII century was converted into a fine summer residence for Pope Alexander VII (in the world - Fabio Chigi), a well-known philanthropist, a man highly educated and enlightened for his time.

The castle survived or were restored interior in an old Tuscan style. Today it is located luxury hotel, the whole situation is - carved wood panels, antique furniture, paintings, wrought iron lamps, velvet curtains, fireplaces and much more - like the old times. From the castle offers wonderful views of the Tuscan hills.

In 2003 the castle was subjected Leonina complete renovation, and houses the luxurious four-star hotel.

Castle-Hotel Leonina offers rooms and suites in a classic Tuscan style with all modern amenities. Total rooms in twenty-one, each equipped with a mini-bar, satellite TV, safe and air conditioning, some rooms have a fireplace.

The hotel has a restaurant, Tuscan cuisine Il Balcone di Leonina, and a bar with an excellent wine cellar, which represents the best wines of Tuscany. Of extra services, guests meeting room, conference room, Internet access, fitness center with massage, Jacuzzi, Turkish bath and aroma showers, two hundred meters from the main building housed a restaurant. There is a laundry room, free parking, on request can be granted to professional nanny service. The castle is traditionally used for romantic weddings, marriage is a special room set aside and built a special pavilion in the yard.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank irun_11
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I work for a tour operator and my co-worker and I decided to 'scout' this place near Siena, as we pass by with our groups on a regular basis. The location is certainly charming, overlooking the Crete Senesi and Siena; the castello is well kept and the rooms are in line with the atmosphere (that is, not too bucolic yet with interesting details ). The highlight of our stay (1 night) was the staff: more than accommodating and flexible to our needs. We also dined at the hotel's restaurant one night and unfortunately we were not able to eat on the terrace which I think it would be a wonderful setting for a romantic dinner ! Overall, a very positive stay !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
London
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I went to Castello di Leonina for a 1 week long break at the end of May, when Tuscany has a very pleasant weather as I well know, being an Italian myself: not too hot and definitely not overcrowded with tourists. The Relais Il Castello di Leonina was the first stop of a drive around Val di Chiana and Val D’Orcia, just outside Siena and the location looked really amazing.
I choose to stay 1 night there because I found it on a guide to Relais and small high standard hotels, its pictures of the white road with cypress on both sides impressed me most and I thought it would have made it the perfect location for the start of a holiday “under the Tuscan sun”.

Unfortunately when we got there at 7pm on a Saturday evening the first welcome I received from the place was the definitively distasteful smell in the lobby, the second was an even more unpleasant welcome at the reception desk.
In fact the lady there, immediately after checking my reservation, told me that it was impossible to have dinner at the restaurant. Of course I told her that one of the reason for staying in that place overnight was the restaurant itself and considering that that day had already been a full day of driving and moreover that the first village was at least 15/20 mins drive away, I was sure the chef would have accommodated 2 more people. We would hav been more than happy to wait in order to have dinner later in the night. She said she would have checked but that would imply we have to wait at least until 9.30 to know if we were so lucky to have the pleasure to get the coveted prize of the table at the restaurant.
When we reached our room the view was amazing but the bathroom in particular was not what you might expect from a 200 Euros per night stay…only 2 real towels and 2 small light cotton ones.
In order to kill the time till the potential dinner and relax, we decided to stroll around and check out the swimming pool and hot tub…well we realised that the hot tub was under refurbishment and guess what? The swimming pool wasn’t cleaned up so that the water was a vivid green instead of light blue! Ridiculous because end of May with 25+ degrees, the swimming pool in the middle of the countryside makes the difference among different places! They were so bold to say that unfortunately given the very bad weather during the week it was impossible to do it…well we were in Tuscany for 3 days already and trust me, not one cloud…

Finally at 10pm we showed up at the reception of the hotel (because they kindly asked us not to go directly to the restaurant…mah) to qenquiry about the famous table at the restaurant and guess what? Obviously there was not a single available table as foreseen by the clairvoyant receptionist so che gave us the name of a restaurant and, as said, it was 10pm on a fine May evening in Italy. We were clever enough to ask the logorroic lady at the reception to kindly make the phone call to book the table for us, not because of potential crowdiness but to avoid that the kitchen would have already closed by the time we got there. Lucky we did it because the receptionist had basically to beg the restaurant to give us a table. Of course when we passed by the restaurant at the hotel we salivated for, we were very surprised in seeing the famous crowd there, but as you can imagine there were at least 2 free tables…

Bottom line, do not stay in Castello di Leonina because it is not worth the money compared to all nice places of the same standard and even cheaper that you can find in the same area. Luckily my week continued in some other much nicer places with far better service and same wonderful location, the Tuscan valley of Chiana and Orcia

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elena079
MANCHESTER
Reviewed July 2, 2007

the hotel was just what we wanted in a very quiet and peaceful area, we booked junior suites which were excellent,tastefully decorated and very spacious, the food in the restaurant also excellent a wide choice and reasonably priced and the service outstanding.the buffet breakfast though plentiful was repetative and boring.the swimming pool is a long way up a hill from the hotel and was not available to use as it was infested and that is the only downside to the hotel.there is no entertainment or restaurants within walking distance and a vehicle is essential it is an ideal getaway from it all property,but with a car you can reach all the tourist locations and we would also recommend a wine tasting tour which can be booked from the hotel along with other excursions. our problem was that upon checking out we were charged £1100 more than quoted and as we were on our way to pisa airport which is a good two hour drive we were unable to do anything about this until we returned home and even though the hotel group admit they made an error with the original quote they are unwilling to honour the cost and we are now in dispute with them which is such a shame because we had a truly wonderful holiday which has now been soured

• Liked — Location And Comfort Of Accomodation
  • Disliked — Pool Area
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MJJ23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asciano
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Villa Casagrande
Hotel Villa Casagrande
#2 of 6 in Figline e Incisa Valdarno
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclusive Wellness & Relais
Hotel Palazzo del Capitano Exclu...
#2 of 4 in San Quirico d'Orcia
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,146 reviews
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti

Been to Castello di Leonina Relais? Share your experiences!